login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585913 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17790 on: January 23, 2018, 06:07:46 AM »
It

For example: instead of having to save their favorite burger place from being demolished by a big mean corporate dickhead, they're being hunted by a bloodthirsty, child-eating, creature from Hell who wants to murder them and they all fear for their lives.

An evil killer clown wold have significantly improved Good Burger.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #17791 on: January 23, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »
Space Cop (2016)
Effects were really better than I expected from a low budget sci-fi comedy made in Milwaukee by a bunch of guys from Milwaukee. As a comedy, it was also exactly what I expected from a low budget sci-fi comedy made in Milwaukee by a bunch of guys from Milwaukee. Which equates to me enjoying it (in part because I recognised a lot of the locations in Milwaukee), but it wasn't funny enough to make for a great comedy.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #17792 on: January 23, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »
 Ingrid Goes West 2017 ★★★½

Watched Jan 23, 2018
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17793 on: January 24, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »
It

For example: instead of having to save their favorite burger place from being demolished by a big mean corporate dickhead, they're being hunted by a bloodthirsty, child-eating, creature from Hell who wants to murder them and they all fear for their lives.

That movie WAS about an evil killer clown, it's all subtext, but it's there if you really read between the lines.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #17794 on: January 25, 2018, 01:00:34 AM »
It

I don't think you understand what the word "improved" means.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17795 on: January 25, 2018, 06:07:22 AM »
It

I don't think you understand what the word "improved" means.
The gory death of all the annoying characters.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17796 on: January 27, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »
Carnivore: Werewolf of London (2017) - Wow, this was so incredibly boring! Two people in a cabin the whole movie being stalked by a werewolf. So much of this movie is nothing happening. And even when the werewolf does show up, the werewolf suit looked laughably bad. The head was decent for a really low budget movie, but the body looked like they used a gorilla suit from Party City.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17797 on: January 27, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »
It Follows - Dear God this movie was BORING!!!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17798 on: January 27, 2018, 05:35:40 PM »
It Follows - Dear God this movie was BORING!!!

headshaking.gif
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17799 on: January 27, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »
Yeah I gotta disagree with you Darth. I'm not a big fan of Horror movies in the least, but even I thought It follows was pretty good. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but it was still pretty tense. I also liked that it wasn't a gore fest.

Just watched Attack of the killer tomatoes. Now, this is my very first time watching this movie and I can definitely confirm that it's most likely the king of Horror parody b-movies. There's some plot threads that go nowhere, some very bizarre editing, but I gotta believe all this was intentional to make one of the cheesiest, silliest comedy films of all time. I gotta warn you though, for those of you who are actually tomatoes, this movie is not for the faint of heart. Oh yeah, one more thing, apparently the tomatoes have a similar weakness as the aliens in Mars attacks!. Biggest difference being Attack of the killer tomatoes is a much better film.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 09:11:26 PM by Russoguru »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #17800 on: January 28, 2018, 02:15:47 PM »
The Shape of Water
The wife loved it. I thought it was an updated Creature of the Black Lagoon only told as a love story and a stereotypical bad guy added. Didn't hate it, just found it kind of mediocre.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17801 on: January 28, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Rewatched this the other night.  I just felt like I needed a big feel-good film of some kind.  I swear, Marvel Studios film mostly gets better with each one (though I haven't seen Spider-Man: Homecoming yet).

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17802 on: January 28, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
My Father Is A Hero ( a.k.a. Jet Li's The Enforcer ) ( 1995 )
I was warned off of Dragon Dynasty because the label frequently used edited for Dimension Films prints, with a lot of scenes deleted, an entirely new English dub, and entirely new opening credits along with entirely new title. Case in point, Police Story 3: Supercop ( 1992 ) was released by Dimension Films as just Supercop in 1996. ( New Line Cinema already had Police Story, Police Story 2 and Police Story 4: First Strike, and for legal reasons Dimension could not release the third film in the series as Police Story 3 in North America. And since New Line didn't have the rights to the third film, they decided to release the fourth unnumbered as just Jackie Chan's First Strike. New Line also edited the Jackie Chan films they released. The funnies gag in the first Police Story, a comment the police commander makes at the end of the film, is removed in the New Line version so they could recycle the line in Mr Nice Guy. ) About five minutes were edited out of Supercop, which Jackie Chan was not happy with, even though he and Michelle Yeoh did agree to do the English dub for Dimension's edit. With the film being re released on Dragon Dynasty, the Weinsteins had an opportunity to release the uncut version, but instead just included the already released Dimension edit. It did have an extra that the Dimension disc didn't have. An interview with Jackie Chan where he complains about how the companies releasing his films in America insist on editing his films. For that reason I have avoided a lot of Dragon Dynasty releases, hoping the unedited films will end up released by some other company once the Weinstein's North American rights to the films expire.

Perhaps I should have waited for the same to happen for My Father is a Hero, one of Jet Li's best films from the 90s. I have no idea how much of this film has been edited. ( The ending seems a bit abrupt. ) But I do know the one thing that neither New Line nor Dimensions ever edited was the action scenes. To his wife and son, Jet Li is a criminal who frequently leaves them to join organized crime gangs to pull off one heist after another. In reality, Jet is an undercover cop who can not tell anyone, not even his family, that he works for the mainland China police. Hoping that his undercover days are over and he can spend time with his terminally ill wife, he is ordered to go on one last mission undercover in Hong Kong with a gang that is trying to acquire explosives. During a botched attempt by the gang to steal the explosives from the arms dealers selling them, a shootout erupts in a restaurant. It turns out the chief of police and his mistress ( Anita Mui ) who is a police detective are in the restaurant. Jet makes sure the gang he is embedded in escape, but gets stuck in the restaurant when the police surround it. Taking Anita hostage, he drives away in a car, not realizing that she is also a martial arts expert. They have a brief fight which results in Anita nearly falling to her death off a highway overpass. When for no reason Jet rescues her, she begins to suspect he is more than just a criminal. Using surveillance footage from the restaurant she discovers Jet is a criminal from mainland China, and decides to go there to interrogate his wife. Instead they become friends, and just before she dies of her illness, the wife asks Anita to take her son to his father. Anita figures out that Jet is actually an undercover cop, and makes the mistake of telling his son, who is also a martial arts expert. But once back in Hong Kong his son decides to go out on his own and help his father bring down the gang, which in turn ends up outing Jet as an undercover cop.

1995 was the peak of the Hong Kong action cinema. Soon after the industries best, including Jackie Chan, John Woo, Michelle Yeoh, Chow Yun Fat, Yuen Woo Ping, Sammo Hung and even Jet Li would be heading off to Hollywood in advance of Great Britain loosing their 100 year lease of Hong Kong territory and sovereignty being ceded back to China. While nearly every one of them would grow fed up with the Hollywood system of making movies and return to China, much of the Hong Kong film industry would be passed to a different generation of film makers no longer interested in raising the bar when it came to stunts, and satisfied with stunt men, wirework, and cheats using special effects or editing. Also, age was finally catching up with many of the older martial arts stars, who staged less action scenes in their films. The result would be less and less remarkable action films coming out of Hong Kong. ( But not entirely the end. Donnie Yen, for example, began making some great movies. ) My Father is a Hero was typical of the balls to the wall action films coming out at the time. In fact, this wouldn't even rate within the top 100. But that is only because of how many great action films were made between 1982 and 1999. It is still a really good action film with some really good fight scenes. Which was why even the potboilers made in Hong Kong during that era were all well worth watching.

Agent Beetle ( 2012 )
And here is something not worth watching. As I have said before, I am collecting superhero movies, and had recently discovered a sub-genre on the direct-to-video market of mockbuster superhero films, many so obscure they are not included on Wikipedia's list of American superhero films. And these are the worst. Just take my word for it, you are lucky for having not ever seen Agent Beetle, another zero budget waste of time produced by TomCat Films which is allegedly "based on a golden age superhero", this time on a character called The Blue Beetle. While most of the TomCat superhero films used characters that have since drifted into the public domain, they didn't really do their homework on Blue Beetle. When the original publisher of the comic book went out of business, it's characters were sold to Charlton, and have since been acquired by D.C. who currently own the rights to Blue Beetle, even if the character is not used that often. So TomCat had to end up renaming the character "The Beetle" for legal purposes. Same deal with one of the villains in this movie, Black Widow, which had to be renamed Widow.

To add to the misery this is another film directed by Brett Kelly, who deserved to go down in infamy with Ed Wood, Coleman Francis and Bert I Gordon. Here you get everything you would expect from a Brett Kelly film. No decent actors, sets consisting of whatever room the cast happened to be in, everything shot on video, and plenty of insufferable padding once Brett realized in editing he shot less than 60 minutes worth of footage. Yes, this movie has Brett's signature ten minute ending credits that run at a snails pace. 10 minutes for a  cast and crew are less than 30 people. And there is also Brett's other signature padding techniques, such as looping footage to lengthen a scene, so you see someone walk past the same building or car twice or even three times in the same minute. Showing stock footage of the moon for 30 seconds for no reason. Establishing shots that go on for almost as long. A badly made on computer animation that ends the movie. And plenty of footage that is slowed down for no reason. You know how riffers are always complaining about pointless walking scenes padding out a film? They have yet to see a pointless walking scene that lasts for five minutes of a girl walking down a single allyway, with looped footage and often slowed down. That is how the film opens. She is being followed by a mugger, who should have attacked her immediately. But nooooooo. The footage is dragged out for five minutes before he finally grabs her. It is then that the superhero The Beetle in his goofy costume shows up. At least this is a TomCat film where you don't have to wait until it is almost over for the superhero to finally appear.

Okay, here is what passes for the plot. As established in flashbacks,  Dan Garret ( same alter identity as the original Blue Beetle ), a cop accused of corruption,  is sent to prison where he is offered an early release if he participates in a drug trial. The drug gives him and other inmates super powers. While he gets steel skin and super strength, there is also Roach who also gets super strength, Mantis who gets the power of invisibility, Stinger who gets the power to yell in a high pitch that can blow out the brains of anyone within range, and Widow who has the ability to give off pheromones that make any person in range fall madly in love with her. The evil company testing the drugs is called HIVE, and it's leader Lilith soon has the super powered criminal doing her bidding. All except for Garret who goes off on his own to become the superhero The Beetle. So Lilith sends her super powered baddies to take him out, but instead he beats them all one by one. Lilith eventually gets to The Beetle by kidnapping  Julie Spencer, a reported Dan was in love with. The Beetle gives up and both become prisoners at HIVE. But then after a really lame climax, The Beetle is able to escape, defeat Lilith, and blow up the HIVE building. Once HIVE is no more, Dan vows never to become The Beetle again. However, there is a brief scene of another HIVE employee injecting himself with the same super power drug, setting up for a sequel that thankfully never happened.

Don't watch this film. Take my word for it, even at only 70 minutes ( or 58 if you skip the ending credits ) this movie will have you begging for the sweet relief of much better superhero films like Batman & Robin. And I haven't even gotten to the bottom of these films. I still have a few left, one of which is considered Brett Kelly all time worst.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17803 on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:06 AM »

Agent Beetle ( 2012 )
And here is something not worth watching. As I have said before, I am collecting superhero movies, and had recently discovered a sub-genre on the direct-to-video market of mockbuster superhero films, many so obscure they are not included on Wikipedia's list of American superhero films. And these are the worst. Just take my word for it, you are lucky for having not ever seen Agent Beetle, another zero budget waste of time produced by TomCat Films which is allegedly "based on a golden age superhero", this time on a character called The Blue Beetle. While most of the TomCat superhero films used characters that have since drifted into the public domain, they didn't really do their homework on Blue Beetle. When the original publisher of the comic book went out of business, it's characters were sold to Charlton, and have since been acquired by D.C. who currently own the rights to Blue Beetle, even if the character is not used that often. So TomCat had to end up renaming the character "The Beetle" for legal purposes. Same deal with one of the villains in this movie, Black Widow, which had to be renamed Widow.

To add to the misery this is another film directed by Brett Kelly, who deserved to go down in infamy with Ed Wood, Coleman Francis and Bert I Gordon. Here you get everything you would expect from a Brett Kelly film. No decent actors, sets consisting of whatever room the cast happened to be in, everything shot on video, and plenty of insufferable padding once Brett realized in editing he shot less than 60 minutes worth of footage. Yes, this movie has Brett's signature ten minute ending credits that run at a snails pace. 10 minutes for a  cast and crew are less than 30 people. And there is also Brett's other signature padding techniques, such as looping footage to lengthen a scene, so you see someone walk past the same building or car twice or even three times in the same minute. Showing stock footage of the moon for 30 seconds for no reason. Establishing shots that go on for almost as long. A badly made on computer animation that ends the movie. And plenty of footage that is slowed down for no reason. You know how riffers are always complaining about pointless walking scenes padding out a film? They have yet to see a pointless walking scene that lasts for five minutes of a girl walking down a single allyway, with looped footage and often slowed down. That is how the film opens. She is being followed by a mugger, who should have attacked her immediately. But nooooooo. The footage is dragged out for five minutes before he finally grabs her. It is then that the superhero The Beetle in his goofy costume shows up. At least this is a TomCat film where you don't have to wait until it is almost over for the superhero to finally appear.

Okay, here is what passes for the plot. As established in flashbacks,  Dan Garret ( same alter identity as the original Blue Beetle ), a cop accused of corruption,  is sent to prison where he is offered an early release if he participates in a drug trial. The drug gives him and other inmates super powers. While he gets steel skin and super strength, there is also Roach who also gets super strength, Mantis who gets the power of invisibility, Stinger who gets the power to yell in a high pitch that can blow out the brains of anyone within range, and Widow who has the ability to give off pheromones that make any person in range fall madly in love with her. The evil company testing the drugs is called HIVE, and it's leader Lilith soon has the super powered criminal doing her bidding. All except for Garret who goes off on his own to become the superhero The Beetle. So Lilith sends her super powered baddies to take him out, but instead he beats them all one by one. Lilith eventually gets to The Beetle by kidnapping  Julie Spencer, a reported Dan was in love with. The Beetle gives up and both become prisoners at HIVE. But then after a really lame climax, The Beetle is able to escape, defeat Lilith, and blow up the HIVE building. Once HIVE is no more, Dan vows never to become The Beetle again. However, there is a brief scene of another HIVE employee injecting himself with the same super power drug, setting up for a sequel that thankfully never happened.

Don't watch this film. Take my word for it, even at only 70 minutes ( or 58 if you skip the ending credits ) this movie will have you begging for the sweet relief of much better superhero films like Batman & Robin. And I haven't even gotten to the bottom of these films. I still have a few left, one of which is considered Brett Kelly all time worst.
Oh wow. I've got to tell Linkara about this. He's a big fan of Blue Beetle, so this would make a funny review.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17804 on: January 29, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Rewatched this the other night.  I just felt like I needed a big feel-good film of some kind.  I swear, Marvel Studios film mostly gets better with each one (though I haven't seen Spider-Man: Homecoming yet).

Judging by your attitude toward recent Marvel Studios films, you really need to see Spider-Man: Homecoming.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky