login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583316 times)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17745 on: January 07, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
Actually, you can transfer lives to each other in Super Mario World's two-player mode, so you can like the movie completely now.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17746 on: January 07, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »
Crimson Peak

It was perfectly fine.  Here's the thing, it was originally marketed as a horror movie, then I heard lots of people say "Eh, it's more of a romance."  So I went into it with that expectation.  But though there was romance in it, I certainly don't think about it that way.  I'd say it is closer to horror (or, at least, supernatural thriller) but with a lot of melodrama as well.  Which is fine.  The movie was good.  I just wish I couldn't see most of the twists coming from a mile away.  I also think they should have done a better job tricking you into liking the siblings, so that when things turn, it is more effective, but it is pretty obvious from the jump there is something wrong with them.  Of course, being a Del Toro movie, it is beautiful and polished looking in a way that actually works, since the unreality of the movie is part of its charm.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17747 on: January 07, 2018, 08:39:49 PM »
Crimson Peak

It was perfectly fine.  Here's the thing, it was originally marketed as a horror movie, then I heard lots of people say "Eh, it's more of a romance."  So I went into it with that expectation.  But though there was romance in it, I certainly don't think about it that way.  I'd say it is closer to horror (or, at least, supernatural thriller) but with a lot of melodrama as well.  Which is fine.  The movie was good.  I just wish I couldn't see most of the twists coming from a mile away.  I also think they should have done a better job tricking you into liking the siblings, so that when things turn, it is more effective, but it is pretty obvious from the jump there is something wrong with them.  Of course, being a Del Toro movie, it is beautiful and polished looking in a way that actually works, since the unreality of the movie is part of its charm.

That's exactly how we felt about it too. Good enough for a single watch, but nothing amazing. Del Toro is a lot more miss than hit for me, but he has made a couple of all-timers, so I keep going back.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #17748 on: January 07, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
My letterboxd reviews of the day.  Watching a bunch of screeners that my wife gets for being in the WGA:

mother!

★★★★ Watched 07 Jan, 2018

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I tried to learn as little about the film as possible before watching, but the one thing I did hear is that it changes after the second half, and some people didn't like that change.

It does indeed change, but I still enjoyed it. The film is very dreamlike, and obviously allegorical, but I have to admit that I couldn't quite put my finger on what exactly it was an allegory for until I looked it up. After looking it up I retroactively enjoyed the film even more, but I don't think it's impossible to enjoy without that knowledge, especially if you're in the mood for something different.

The Disaster Artist

★★★½ Watched 07 Jan, 2018

I enjoyed this film more than I thought I would, but perhaps that's because I never read the book. I have seen The Room a number of times though, in different formats, which is something I recommend doing before watching The Disaster Artist.

The Post

★★½ Watched 07 Jan, 2018

A very Hollywood movie. Mostly felt like actors portraying people with bad New York accents, though it was fun to see Bob Odenkirk and David Cross as buddies again. The plot kept me interested enough to keep watching through the end because I was unfamiliar with the story, but that was about it.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17749 on: January 07, 2018, 10:48:02 PM »
Perfect Blue (1997)

An excellent anime film and arguably one of the scariest horror movies of the era.  This psychological thriller explores some interesting themes and there are some genuinely disturbing moments, as well as a great use of tension and suspense, while the score adds perfectly to the unsettling mood throughout.  When a J-pop idol turned actress finds herself being harassed and impersonated by an online stalker she has a mental breakdown.  As people in her life are being murdered she starts to question her own reality.  There are some interesting twists that may leave the audience wondering what is actually happening as well while building up to the climactic ending.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17750 on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:29 PM »
Fright Night Part 2 (1988)

I grew up a fan of the first film but wasn't even aware this existed until recently.  I thought this was more of the same cheesy fun and was glad to see some of the original cast return.  This time Charlie is seduced by a sexy vampiress and it's up to his girlfriend and Fright Night TV host Peter Vincent to save him from being turned into a vampire.  The practical special effects hold up really well and there are a bunch of creepy visuals and gore.  The bowling montage felt a bit odd but otherwise I would definitely recommend this to fans of the original.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17751 on: January 08, 2018, 01:04:07 AM »
Royal Tramp ( 1992 )
Stephen Chow is not my favorite comedian. But Hong Kong audiences seem to love him, and he has won American audiences with some of his over the top martial arts films like Kung Fu Hustle ( 2004 ). Royal Tramp was the film that first gained him international fame, but it was more to do with the film's director Wong Jing, the man who brought us God of Gamblers ( 1989 ), Naked Killer ( 1992 ), City Hunter ( 1993 ) and Legend of the Liquid Sword ( 1993 ), as well as a lot of other very popular Hong Kong films. I didn't like Royal Tramp at all. None of the humor worked. It's plot wandered all over the place. But I will attempt to summarize it anyway. Chow plays a con man working at a brothel who rescues a rebel leader from being arrested and is invited to join their group where he hopes to be taught their Kung Fu. Soon after joining he is tricked into going on a mission in the royal palace as a servant to steal a book called the 42 chapters, which is suppose to contain a secret that will somehow end the Ching Dynasty and restore the Ming Dynasty. But there are also two other agents from other rebel groups looking for the book, and an internal battle between the teenaged Emperor and one of his ministers ( one of 8 who were suppose to help the Emperor rule until he grew into manhood ) who has become too powerful and is about to take over the thrown for himself. The martial arts in this film was supposed to have been amazing, but I was underwhelmed. Anyway, it was a setup for a second movie which was filmed and released the same year, so we shall see next week of it all pays off.

Spectre ( 2015 )   
At least I got to see one good film this week. What I liked the most about Specter was that it was as smart as the first few  James Bond films, back when the enemy had an ingenious plot that was more than just owning a doomsday machine for Bond to blow up in the final reel.

Nabonga ( 1944 )
Okay, this is more like it. A movie where an ape is a major character. the last couple of films from my Sons of Kong movie collection had a gorilla show up for no more than a couple of minutes. I guess that they wanted to pad out this 10 movie collection of B movies with gorillas. Fortunately all the rest of the films in this collection have either "Ape" or "Gorilla" in the title. Nabonga  ( which is called Nabonga Gorilla on the film print ) was directed by Sam Newfield who also directed another film in this set White Pongo, and as already mentioned, directed three movies seen on the original run of MST3K. It was the film debut of pinup star Julie London, the beginning of a run of acting gigs in mostly B films. She was also a singer, her biggest hit being the #9 song Cry Me A River in 1955. Her biggest success came in 1972 when she landed one of the leads, nurse Dixie McCall, in the series Emergency! which ran for six seasons. The star of this film is Buster Crabbe, who previously starred as both Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers for Universal. By 1944 he was working for low budget studio PRC where he was the star of their Billy the Kid franchise.

The story: Some guy has embezzled millions from a company and has run off with his 10 year old daughter Doreen to Egypt. When authorities follow him there, he and Doreen attempt to escape in an airplane, but crash somewhere in the middle of an African jungle. They both survive the crash, and soon after they help rescue a gorilla that has just been wounded by hunters. Years later Buster Crabbe shows up at an African outpost, drawn there by rumours of a white witch who came down from the sky in a flying house. It turns out that Crabbe's father worked for the same embezzled company, and felt so responsible for not catching it in time that he blamed himself and ended up committing suicide. So to clear the family name Buster has made it his life's ambition to find the missing plane and retrieve the stolen money. However, another explorer at the outpost has been spying on him, and want the stolen loot for himself. That explorer's name is.... oh no.... Carl Hurst. Really? A German name? Does every film in this set include evil germans? Is this what Hollywood really thought Africa was like? Covered entirely with jungle, full of black canables and evil German explorers? Where didthey get that from anyway? The only prominent German anyone herd of in Africa was Albert Schweitzer, and you could hardly call him evil. At least this time around PRC was too lazy to hire a German actor ( or even an actor who would bother to use a German accent ) so at leas if you don't here someone call him by his name then you would think he was just another white man. BTW, Carl is played by Barton Maclane, another B actor who at the least acted in better films, including  The Maltese Falcon ( 1941 )  and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre ( 1948 ).

Anyway, Buster goes on an expedition and discovers that the white witch is indeed the daughter of the embezzler, now all grown up and living alone in the jungle with the gorilla who is now her protector. She refuses to give back the box of stolen money, insisting that her father gave it to her, and her pet gorilla will not allow Buster to take it from her. So Buster builds a cage out of bamboo and traps the gorilla. Carl and his French girlfriend Marie show up to steal the money for themselves, shoot Buster in the head, and take off with the box of loot. Doreen tries to stop them but ends up their prisoner. Carl makes the mistake of telling Marie to take a hike because he now prefers Doreen. So in a fit of jealousy she frees the gorilla from his trap, only to have it immediately kill her. Meanwhile Buster has somehow recovered from being shot in the head and engages in a fist fight with Carl, but ends up losing. But just as Carl takes out his gun to finish Buster off for good, the gorilla shows up, and they kill each other. And somehow this depressing mess ends with a happy ending as Buster tells Doreen he is taking her back to civilization. Oh, and it turns out both are now in love. THE END

So far this is the best of the films I have seen in the Sons of Kong set, but that is not saying much. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:07:29 AM by stethacantus »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17752 on: January 08, 2018, 01:47:23 PM »
Bright  2017 Netflix movie.

Set in a world that you would imagine 2000 years after Lord Of The Rings, but without hobbits, so modern day civilization with humans, orcs, and elves in it. 

Will Smith is an LA cop partnered with the first orc in the LAPD, they find a magic wand and pretty much everyone in LA wants to kill them to get it.

It's quite funny, Will Smith is classic Will Smith, but there's also amazing action, great special effects, and as it gets to the end the story actually gets interesting and good.  So if you watch it stick with it, the first 1/3 I'd say is kind of meh, but it picks up nicely about half way through once the real bad guys show up.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17753 on: January 08, 2018, 03:17:41 PM »
His Private Secretary

An early John Wayne film, where they tried him out in a romantic comedy.  I was feeling sick, so I decided to go with something short, which it was (60 minutes).  Not awful, but not very good, either.  Basically, a wealthy playboy ends up married to a woman from a small town.  His father assumes she's a gold digger and cuts off his son.  However, she ends up getting a job with the dad and ends up winning him over without knowing the truth.  The last bit of it is a little charming, when Evalyn Knapp is winning over daddy (the movie is at it's best the less we see of John Wayne), but there's a lot of boring build-up to that.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17754 on: January 08, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

It's streaming on Netflix now.

Pretty much the same as the previous several, you could throw them all in a scene blender, yank out random scenes, and still have nearly the same experience.

But they are fun to watch, even if the plots keep getting thinner and thinner.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17755 on: January 08, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
If I want to see an idiot swaggering around for 2 and a half hours, I'll put on a pirate hat, a goatee and do my best Jack Sparrow impression in front of my bathroom mirror.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 521
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #17756 on: January 09, 2018, 08:38:29 AM »

Pretty much the same as the previous several, you could throw them all in a scene blender, yank out random scenes, and still have nearly the same experience.

This is the one where they brought back Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom, right? Aka the worst parts of the first 3?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17757 on: January 09, 2018, 02:49:42 PM »

This is the one where they brought back Kiera Knightly and Orlando Bloom, right? Aka the worst parts of the first 3?

Orlando Bloom is only in the movie for a couple of minutes at the beginning and the end.
Kiera Knightly only shows up at the very end and has no lines, just there to hug and kiss Bloom for the fade out.

Sorry, was that too spoilery??

:D ;D :D ;D :) ;)

As if you need to use spoiler tags for one of these movies, they always do exactly what they say they are going to do at the start.  If the young bland hero says they are going to break a curse in the first scene, by the end it will be broken...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:53:38 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #17758 on: January 10, 2018, 05:47:46 PM »
The War of the Stars II
Fan edit of Empire and Return into one movie with somethings changed in order which changed the overall plot, a lot of different music, some added effects here and there (mostly blood), some of the prequel stuff where it made sense, and a few things added from fan films.
Gotta cop to not being the Star Wars fan I once was growing up as a lot of the dialog and plot comes off as corny to me as an adult (the movie I'd rate the highest would be Rogue One- haven't seen Last Jedi).
This was very impressive for a fan edit. Not perfect- not all of the music worked as an example- but what was cut was not missed and the plot changes and ending would have led to far more interesting sequels.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #17759 on: January 10, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
That sounds really weird.