Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526394 times)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 401
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17715 on: December 18, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »
The Last Jedi

A compelling story surrounded and permeated by the dumbest, goofiest shit since The Phantom Menace. Balanced out to being just OK. I look forward to the inevitable fan edits.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 68
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17716 on: December 19, 2017, 09:20:54 PM »
Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence (1993)

The best thing about this movie is when Robert Davi lights his cigarette with a burning severed arm! It's not nearly as strong as the previous films but it's more of the same over-the-top violence and gory kills. Davi returns as the detective who helped stop the undead killer in the last movie who has been resurrected once again and resumes his brutal killing spree. This time he's brought back by a Voodoo priest and he's murdering those who have wronged a comatose female cop that was wrongly disgraced by a pair of shady cameramen. There's also an appearance by Jackie Earle Haley and a brief cameo by Ted Raimi. While it's not necessarily a must see for fans of the first two films unless you're a completionist it's decent enough for fans of bad 80s action horror movies.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17717 on: December 19, 2017, 11:27:03 PM »
Bad Taste (1987)

Peter Jackson makes his directorial debut in this ridiculous low budget splatter-fest in which he not only played dual roles but also created most of the gory special effects makeups.  I would definitely recommend checking this out for those that enjoyed his work on Braindead although it likely won't appeal to some fans of his later work.  I think it's really interesting seeing how far his work has progressed since this early phase in his career.  When the residents of a small New Zealand town disappear a small military team is sent in to investigate and discover an alien plot to harvest human flesh for their intergalactic fast food restaurant chain.  There's plenty of outrageous gross out humor and excessive violence and gore some of which was actually pretty inventive.  I like the design of the campy aliens and the chainsaw scenes at the end are some of my favorite moments.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #17718 on: December 20, 2017, 08:07:18 AM »
Bad Taste (1987)

Peter Jackson makes his directorial debut in this ridiculous low budget splatter-fest in which he not only played dual roles but also created most of the gory special effects makeups.  I would definitely recommend checking this out for those that enjoyed his work on Braindead although it likely won't appeal to some fans of his later work.  I think it's really interesting seeing how far his work has progressed since this early phase in his career.  When the residents of a small New Zealand town disappear a small military team is sent in to investigate and discover an alien plot to harvest human flesh for their intergalactic fast food restaurant chain.  There's plenty of outrageous gross out humor and excessive violence and gore some of which was actually pretty inventive.  I like the design of the campy aliens and the chainsaw scenes at the end are some of my favorite moments.

How do you feel it compares to Dead Alive?  I really enjoy Dead Alive, but I never got around to watching Bad Taste.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #17719 on: December 20, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
Certainly gave me plenty of nightmares when I was a kid.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #17720 on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »
The Greatest Showman
I guess the embargo has expired, and I can talk about it now?  Yeah, it's garbage.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #17721 on: December 20, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
The Greatest Showman
I guess the embargo has expired, and I can talk about it now?  Yeah, it's garbage.

My wife's uncle produced that movie. 

Doesn't look very good.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17722 on: December 21, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
How do you feel it compares to Dead Alive?  I really enjoy Dead Alive, but I never got around to watching Bad Taste.

As I mentioned I would definitely recommend checking this out for those that enjoyed his work on Braindead or Dead Alive as it's known in North America.  The humor is similar although I think Bad Taste was more action oriented while Braindead (Dead Alive) really pushed the splatter / bodily fluids.  I think if you liked one you will definitely like the other.  The acting and production value in Braindead certainly had improved by then but only slightly.

One of the next films in my queue is Peter Jackson's next film Meet the Feebles (1989).

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #17723 on: December 25, 2017, 01:57:56 AM »
An Empress and the Warriors ( 2008 )
Back in the 80s Ric Meyers wrote how the Warring States Period in China was one of the eras that most Hong Kong studios ignored when making martial arts movies. The most popular era was the 1940s during the years when Japan occupied China, simply because hatred towards Japan during those years was so fresh that they made the perfect villains. The mid Quing Dynasty was the second most popular, which was the years the Shaolin Temple was, according to legend, burned to the ground by Quing forces, the students and teachers who escaped becoming revolutionaries. The third most popular era was the late 1800s to early 1900s, mainly due to these being the years that Wong Fei Hung ran his martial arts school, and allegedly fought crime in Canton. And as the era of the Boxer Rebellion and the Opium War, perfect for depicting Europeans as villains. The forth mos popular, modern times. Or more specifically, if you were a film producer who could not afford period costumes or sets, then modern times was your only option. Sure, modern day martial arts films were the cheapest to make. But you always questioned why the bad guys didn't have guns.

Things changed since 1983. Originally the warring states era was not seen as interesting as you could not define it as heroes vs villains. You could do that with the invading Japanese, the colonizing Europeans, and even the Quing Dynasty who for the longest time were installed by the invading Manchurians and thought of as outsiders oppressing the Han ( the original ethnic group that settled in China ). But the warring state period was basically China divided into smaller countries by warlords. There were no definitive villains. But as I said, things have changed. A lot of films set in the warring state period have been made in the past couple of decades. Just two weeks ago I watched Battle of Wits where a small state called Liang found itself in the path of the invading Zhao army, who were on their way through Liang territory to battle the Yen. An Empress and the Warriors  takes place in Yan, who are facing off against the invading Zhao. It is yet another film from martial arts superstar Donnie Yen, although he is not really the star of this film. The leads are Kelly Chen as the Empress, and Leon Lai as the man she falls in love with. It is directed by Ching Siu-tung who has directed many classic Hong Kong films, including the original A Chinese Ghost Story franchise, and one of my favorite Hong Kong films The Witche From Nepal ( 1986 ). And he has also directed a fantasy film I will be watching next week, which is just pure coincident. With such an impressive resume from the director and Donnie Yen in the cast, I had higher expectations for this film than usual. Unfortunately, this is only a formula potboiler and nothing more.

It has one of those plots where at any moment you can guess what will happen in the next five minutes. The emperor of Yen is in the midst of battle with the army of Zhao when he is hit by an arrow. Badly wounded, he is brought back to his tent where he tells Donnie Yen to take over leading his army and win the war. Oh, and if he happens to expire from the arrow in his chest, that he has chosen Donnie to be the next emperor. This does not go well with the emperor's nephew, who saw himself as the next in line to the throne. So while no one is looking, he sort of pushes the arrow into the emperor the rest of the way and kills him. He then challenges Donnie's right to the throne. But before Donnie can say anything, the rest of the generals insist that the former emperor's only child, his daughter ( Kelly Chen ) should be their next ruler. Donnie encourages her to accept the throne, and even offers to teach her how to be a warrior. Kelly then vows not to ascend to the throne until the day she has completed her warrior training. Not wanting this to happen, the evil cousin arranges for assassins with poison darts to attack her while she is off alone riding her horse. She is saved by Leon Lai, who turns out to be a doctor. He takes her back to his secret treehouse and nurses her back to health. While she is recovering, she begins to fall in love with Leon. But she has an obligation to return to Yen to become their empress. She returns just as the invading Zhao army with a much larger army is attacking. However, she uses her wits to trick the Zhao leader into the woods where he is trapped by her army, forcing the Zhao leader to concede her victory and his army to leave. Still in love with Leon, she decides to abdicate the throne and give it to Donnie. She returns to Leon and for a while they both live happily in their treehouse. However, the cousin leads a mutiny against the current emperor, and sends the poison dart assassins to the treehouse to kill off Kelly for good. Leon sacrafices himself saving her, and she returns to Yen only to find Donnie surrounded by the army, still fighting but nearly dead from his wounds. Kelly demands a one on one sword fight with the cousin, which he accepts believing she is nowhere skilled enough to beat him. But she is. No sooner does she kill the usurper that Donnie finally dies from his wounds, satisfied that the cousin will not be the emperor. With all the men in her life dead, Kelly has very little choice but to once again accept being the empress.

This may sound like I have given away a lot of spoilers. But in fact there is nothing that happens in this movie that you can not guess will happen before it happens. Not one second of this film is a suprise. You can guess how and why every character will be killed off. This is nothing but formula. The film never gets boring, and there are some decent actions scenes, but this is a film you feel like you have seen many times before.

Savage Girl ( 1932 )
Okay, since this week SNL is on break, I once again have time for two movies. Which means once again dipping into the Sons of Kong movie collection. This weeks movie is written and directed by Harry L. Fraser, who's filmography is almost entirely B westerns for skid row film studios. His most notable work was the scripts for I Accuse My Parents and the first Batman serial for Columbia Pictures. That should give you some idea of what we are in for here. The film stars Walter Byron, who's greatest claim to fame had been the leading man in Queen Kelly, the aborted Erich Von Stroheim monstrosity starring Gloria Swanson which was never completed due to the studio finally pulling the plug after it went way over budget by millions of dollars.  A version of it was eventually released in Europe in the early sound era when the studio shot an "ending" for the film without Swanson. ( A title card announces her character has committed suicide, and at her funeral the guests discuss what happened in the scenes that were never shot. ) Queen Kelly would eventually make it's American debut as stock footage in the movie Sunset Boulevard ( 1950 ), which also starred Gloria Swanson as the former silent film actress Norma Desmond, and featured Erich Von Stroheim as her butler and the former director of her films.When Desmond asks gigolo Joe Gillis ( William Holden ) to watch one of her old silent movies, it is footage of Queen Kelly which is shown on the screen. But enough talk about great Hollywood movies, and back to this low budget crap from the Monarch Film Corporation. Okay, maybe another mention of some great films. The lead actress in this film is Rochelle Hudson,an actress who never rose to superstardom, but has been in some memorable films, including playing W.C. Fields daughter in Poppy ( 1936 ), and as James Dean's mother in Rebel Without a Cause ( 1955 ).

It is a very simple plot. A hunter named Jim Franklyn ( Byron ) who's claim to fame has been capturing and bringing animals back alive for zoos, is back in the states on a lecture tour. ( This character is very reminiscent of famous hunter Frank "Bring Em Back Alive" Buck. In fact, three years after this film was released, Fraser would direct Frank Buck in his first acting role in the movie Jungle Menace ( 1937 ). Is it possible this script was originally written for Buck as well? ) While at a lecture he is confronted by a very drunk and very eccentric Amos P Stitch. ( Played by comedian Harry Meyers who is the poor man's version of comedian Arthur Houseman, who himself spent a career playing drunks in comedies. ) Stitch is very rich, and on a whim has decided he wants a zoo on his estate, and wants to finance an expedition to Africa with Franklyn. Once in Africa, the two men are joined by a German explorer named Adolph Milar, who in turn tries to persuade Franlyn to avoid the jungle he plans to hunt animals in. That jungle has cannibals who worship a mythical white woman as their goddess. That white woman, rumored to have been an abandoned infant who grew up in the jungle,  is now the friend of all the animals, and will protect them against hunters. Franklyn refuses to believe in such legends, and the three men go to the jungle anyway. It turns out a white woman is running around in the jungle. After she sets the animals Franlyn has trapped free, he in turn traps her in a pit. He locks her up in a cabin and intends to try to communicate with her in the morning. But wouldn't you know it, the one German in the film becomes obsessed with the girl, and decides to sneak into the cabin to rape her. Franklyn hears the commotion and saves her, telling Adolph he wants him out of the camp immediately. But as he leaves, Adolph  turns to Franklyn and vows vengeance against him, and once he is out of the way, get the girl. Adolph goes into the village of the cannibal tribe and tells them that Franklyn has kidnapped their goddess. Of course by this time Franklyn has set the girl free, only she is so grateful for him rescuing her from being raped, that she now follows Franklyn everywhere, trying to kiss him. The pissed off tribesmen capture Franklyn and tie him to a steak in their camp. The still drunk Stitch rescues Franklyn from being eaten by storming the camp in a vehicle while shooting a gun. But now he has to race back to his camp and save the wild girl from Adolph again.

Like I said, this movie was in the Sons of Kong film collection, and is suppose to have a gorilla. So far in the movie the only ape is a chimpanzee that is the girl's companion. But with only two minutes left in the film, the chimpanzee finds a gorilla and apparently asks it in chimp language to rescue the jungle girl. Meanwhile Franklyn arrives in camp to once again stop Adolph just as he is about to rape the girl. The two have a fistfight, and just as it seems that Adolph has the upper hand, the gorilla reaches through the window of the cabin and drags Adolph out, apparently killing him. Franklyn and the girl kiss. The End.

This film has a ton of problems. Lets put aside the racism with every black character, or how the one German character turns evil for no apparent reason other than he is horny after seeing the girl. But the wild girl herself is a complete waste of time. Obviously meant to be a female version of Tarzan, she is incapable of being anything other than the damsel in distress, with no fighting skills whatsoever. And how much of a friend to the animals can she be if she is wearing an animal skin? For no apparent reason, Stitch is drunk through the entire film, even when he wakes up in the morning. The film is obviously meant to be a comedy, but is never funny. It is just minimally entertaining, but that is mostly as a curiosity. Fortunately there seems to be no padding in this film as there was in White Pongo, but it is still a movie with no plot that just sort of sets up characters and situations but never leads to a payoff. 

Tank Girl ( 1995 )
About the only bargain I found on Cyber Monday was that one of the sellers at Amazon was offering the Shout! Factory Blu-ray of Tank Girl for a mere $8. This is yet another film on Wikipedia's list of American Superhero movies. And as far as I can tell, neither the movie nor the comic book it was based on have anything to do with superheroes. But at the least it was based on a comic book. It was the pet project of Rachel Talalay, who began as an assistant and eventual producer to John Waters who had her first directing gig a few years earlier with Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare ( 1991 ). Talalay would later accuse M.G.M. of editing the movie without her permission, disowning the version released to theaters. And Tank Girl does seem to have a lot of editing problems, but that may have been due to key footage missing rather than omitted. Talalay would eventually abandon film directing for directing television shows. She has directed quite a few episodes of Doctor Who, including this years Christmas episode. Tank Girl bombed at the box office, got mostly negative reviews, and was destined to disappear into the bad comic book movie trash bin along with Steel and Catwoman when it allegedly built itself a cult following. But I am not quite sure this film deserves such a following. It tries too hard to be odd, the same way Howard the Duck tried too hard to be odd. But at least with Howard the Duck you had George Lucas spending a fortune in the latest special effects and visual effects to dazzle the viewer. Tank Girl looks as if it took a lot of shortcuts. About the only really impressive thing here is the makeup on the half kangaroo half human hybrids known as the rippers, including one ripper played by Ice-T.

Apparently deviating from the comic book ( which I never read, but is said to take place in the Australian Outback ) this version takes place in San Fransisco, years after a meteor slams into Earth, causing worldwide catastrophe, and also somehow causing all the water to dry up. All that is left is the water found in underground aquifers, of which an agency called Power and Water claims jurisdiction, which they use to weld power. We are introduced to an unarmed girl ( Lori Petty ) who lives in a commune that has been illegally drawing water from a well. Armed forces working for Power and Water attack the commune, slaughtering everyone there. The girl is one of the few survivors, and is taken prisoner. She is brought to Kesslee, the head of Power and Water ( Malcom McDowell playing a typical Malcom McDowell type character ) who decides he must break her. But after various tortures, she proves unbreakable. She makes friends with a female mechanic ( Naomi Watts in one of her first films ) who works on the tanks and jets, but is constantly sexually harassed by her superiors. Kesslee decides to dump the girl into a hole that leads to the underground lair of the rippers, mysterious mutant animals who have been attacking outposts and ripping Power and Water soldiers apart. But just before she is pushed into the hole, a group of rippers attack the Power and Water soldiers, even managing to mutilate Kesslee himself. The mechanic steals one of Power and Water's aircraft and goes to rescue the girl from the ripper massacre, only to find that the rippers have left the girl alone. A tank has been left unattended, and the mechanic helps the girl steal it by giving her the access code for it's inboard computer. So the mechanic becomes Jet girl, and the girl becomes Tank Girl, traveling the world together. By the way, we are almost two thirds into the film before this happens.

With the exception to one decent ( but not too decent ) action sequence where Tank Girl chases down an armed truck with her tank, the tank is barely used in the rest of the film. It is as if Tank Girl was plotted to be nothing more that an origin story for proposed sequels. According to fans of the book, the movie does not even get up to the part where the book begins until the film ends. Like I said, this has huge editing problems. Think of the music video for ZZ Top's Legs and you get the idea of the pace of the editing. A lot of the material in this film is meant to be kooky and funny, but isn't. On the rare occasion something Tank Girl says is funny, but most of the time the humor comes off like a bad episode of The Banana Splitz. Too often there are cut aways to panels lifted from the comic book, and the film inexplicably ends with a cartoon. At least it does not get boring. But this could have been a way better movie, had the script gone through a few more drafts, and the studio given it a decent budget, and there had been no interference, this had a very goo chance of being a great little cult film. Instead, this is a cheap film masquerading as a cult film.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17724 on: December 25, 2017, 05:07:46 AM »
It's a Wonderful Life.  The best Christmas film.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17725 on: December 26, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »
Murder on the Orient Express. Wasn't familiar with the story or character ahead of time. I was faintly aware of a detective with a big mustache, but that was about it. I really enjoyed it. It was shot beautifully, the story was fascinating (I guess there's a reason Agatha Christie was such a success) and the cast was great. I'd be interested to see a series of Poirot movies going forward, and I'm curious about the other versions now.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2567
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17726 on: December 26, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Murder on the Orient Express. Wasn't familiar with the story or character ahead of time. I was faintly aware of a detective with a big mustache, but that was about it. I really enjoyed it. It was shot beautifully, the story was fascinating (I guess there's a reason Agatha Christie was such a success) and the cast was great. I'd be interested to see a series of Poirot movies going forward, and I'm curious about the other versions now.

I did not like the trailer for this new version so probably won't watch it.  For screen versions that are closest to the books just go with all the stuff done by David Suchet, he got to do every Poirot story written, and they are all excellent.

For theatrical movies the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express with Albert Finney as Poirot and a lot of big name stars as the passengers is the best, there have been a few other theatrical releases after that but none really match the quality.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17727 on: December 26, 2017, 01:52:30 PM »
Mom wanted to watch Miracle on 34th Street on boxing day, so why not?  Still good.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #17728 on: December 26, 2017, 04:39:43 PM »
For theatrical movies the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express with Albert Finney as Poirot and a lot of big name stars as the passengers is the best, there have been a few other theatrical releases after that but none really match the quality.
I prefer Evil Under the Sun and Death on the Nile with Peter Ustinov as Poirot. They both had fantastic casts and pretty good budgets. After Evil Under the Sun they went the tv movie route - except for 1988's Appointment with Death - and the lower budgets are pretty obvious in the locations, sets and casting.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2567
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17729 on: December 26, 2017, 05:10:25 PM »
I prefer Evil Under the Sun and Death on the Nile with Peter Ustinov as Poirot. They both had fantastic casts and pretty good budgets. After Evil Under the Sun they went the tv movie route - except for 1988's Appointment with Death - and the lower budgets are pretty obvious in the locations, sets and casting.

I liked Finney as a better Poirot than Ustinov, Death on the Nile was good but I like Orient Express more.  Probably because I saw it in the theater as a kid and loved it.

Suchet is the ultimate Poirot, he did tons of research and poured himself into that role.