Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582585 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17700 on: December 10, 2017, 05:10:09 AM »
Gantz:0

A teenager suddenly dies on the way home, only to wake up in a mysterious apartment building.  In it are some people in skin-tight suits and a big black orb.  Soon he finds out he has to play a game: kill all the monsters in a certain amount of time and you get to survive.  And get a certain amount of point and you get to choose between one of three wishes.

Based on the manga of the same name, this is a retelling of the Osaka arc.  I get why they did this one due to the fact that it is one of the more popular stories, I can't separate my feelings from the manga and the fact that it is more of a pay-off of several years of stories, while this is treated as an entry point.    Things that were surprising in the manga aren't so much here since previous groundrules weren't established to make new wrinkles more surprising.  In addition, they don't use the series real main character as a lead.  There's also a "twist" at the end that feels far more like an afterthought, which is a shame, since I feel like it could have defined the actions of certain characters, yet really doesn't.  Last complaint: the dub is pretty good for a dub, but my preference is usually the original language.  I wish Netflix gave me an option on this one.

OK, now that the complaints are out of the way, I will say the movie is slick.  It's a REALLY good looking movie, especially the creepy monsters.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17701 on: December 10, 2017, 09:15:20 AM »
Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever

I got this from Netflix.  It is notorious for being bad.  It is one of the most poorly reviewed movies on Rotten Tomatoes, with a 0% fresh rating and no positive reviews.  So I was curious.

It didn't really live up to the badness hype.  It was dumb, but still watchable.  There's a lot of explosions and gunfire.  The character development is nonexistent and the story is cliche.  Also the title is completely misleading.  Ecks and Sever have one fistfight on top of a roof, and that's the only time they are ever "versus" each other.  The rest of the movie is the two of them teamed up.

All in all, it's a very standard action movie.  A lot like the Transformers movies.  All flash and no substance.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17702 on: December 10, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »
Battle of Wits ( 2006 ) ( a.k.a. Battle of the Warriors )
Every time I would buy a martial arts film on Amazon, other films would pop up as suggestions for my next buy. A lot of these were releases from Dragon Dynasty, and were films that were not familiar to me. The movies released by Dragon Dynasty are suppose to be the best from Asia. The Shaw Brothers films, Jackie Chan films, John Woo films, Jet Li films, etc. Over the years they have released a lot of classics. But I could not be sure these films were of the same quality, or if these were just films that Dragon Dynasty acquired as part of a package deal. In other words, they go to acquire the rights to Hard Boiled and are told they have to also buy the rights to a handfull of other films along with it. After which they are left with the choice of selling the films they don't want to minor video companies, shelving them and taking the financial hit of paying for the copyrights to films they are not releasing, or release them with the rest of their films and hope a few sell. So these films could have just as easily been duds. Recently, however, the price of these films dropped to $4 and I decided to take the risk.

Battle of Wits ( Title changed to Battle of the Warriors by the Weinstein Company ) stars Andy Lau in a plot similar to The Seven Samurai, but with one man instead of seven. The movie takes place during the warring states period of China, a time prior to it being an empire when the land was divided up between several independent contries ruled by warlords, each vowing to some day rule the entirety of China. The country of Zhao has decided to wage war against Yan. But to do so they must pass through a small contry called Liang, and have decided to conquer it as well. As Zhao's army of 100,000 warriors advances on Liang, the king of Liang asks for aid from the Mozi warriors. ( There was a philosopher named Mozi who during the warring states period intervened in several wars, convincing the leaders to solve their problems diplomatically. The Mozi philosophy was one of peace. But I can't find anything on the internet about Mozi's followers eventually becoming warriors. In this movie, they are presented as a peace keeping force, with a lot of similarities to the Jedi Knights and Shaolin Monks. ) When they get no answer from the Mozi, the king of Liang decides to surrender to the advance Zhao army so that he and his family will be spared. However, at the last minute a lone Mozi warrior ( Andy Lau ) shows up at the gates of Liang, convincing them not to surrender. His plan is for Liang to defend themselves. If they can withstand a siege for a year, then Zhao will surely give up and move on to Yan. Much like with Seven Samurai there is very little martial arts in this movie, as most of it is warriors slashing each other with swords, or shooting each other with bows and arrows. But it is a very decent historical film, albeit based on fictional events and a fictional character.

Rich Kids ( 1979 )
A while back I decided to buy every film that actress Robin Johnson, star of my favorite movie Times Square ( 1980 ),  had appeared in. Once that was done, I began buying films made by the director of Times Square Allan Moyle. I had fully intended to move on to films starring Trini Alvarado, but then never got around to it. Recently I noticed that Amazon was running low on their stock of Rich Kids both on Blu-ray and DVD, with no plans to restock either. This usually means the film is OOP and will soon jump up in price. So, I panic bought a copy. Rich Kids is an important film to fans of Times Square as it was Trini's first movie, and at only 12 years old was given star billing. Times Square was her very next film. Robert Stigwood had announced that he was going to have a worldwide talent search to find unknowns to play the lead actresses who play the runaway teenagers, but after thousands had auditioned, immediately chose Trini after seeing Rich Kids in the theaters. He also picked an established actress to play the other teen. So much for worldwide talent searches. That actress dropped out, leaving the door open for the director to find an actual girl from the worldwide talent search, which was Robin.

One interesting thing I noticed on the Blu-ray box. It is there you find the spiel for the film, and in typical fashion, every time an actor or actress in mentioned, right next to their name is their most popular movie in brackets. For example, John Lithgow ( this was one of his first films ) gets the film Terms of Endearment ( 1983 ) right next to his name. Next to Terry Kiser's name is Weekend at Bernies ( 1989 ). The film picked to go next to Trini's name is Times Square. By far this is not one of her popular films. Her most successful film was The Frighteners ( 1996 ) and she had critical acclaim in the movies Little Women ( 1994 ) and The Perez Family ( 1995 ). And there are dozens of other films she was in that did better at the boxoffice than Times Square. For some reason the video company Olive Films decided that Times Square is her most prominent film, all based entirely on it's cult following.

But on to the film inside the box itself. Trini is Franny, the preteen daughter of parents on the verge of divorce. Her boyfriend  at school Jamie ( Jeremy Levy ) has already gone through the divorce of his parents, and has been advising her how to deal with it. An example of the advice: The parents always take the kids to their favorite restaurant to announce to them they are getting divorced. He made the mistake of choosing McDonalds, now he can't eat there anymore without getting nauseous. So if her parents tell her they are going out to eat and for her to choose her favorite restaurant, for her to pick one she hates eating at. Jamie lives with his mother and step father, spending every other weekend at his father's bachelor penthouse. It is there that he invites Franny over for a sleepover, and they kiss for the first time while his dad is out on a date. Eventually Franny's parents do take her to a restaurant and tell her the bad news. Wanting to get away from home, she lies that Jamie's mother and stepfather have invited her to spend the weekend at their Sounth Hampton estate. Jamie has also lied to his parents about spending a week at a friends house, and together they crash at his father's penthouse, knowing he will be away for the weekend. However, Franny's mother calls Jamie's parents to check up on her, and soon all the parents realize their kids have lied and have spent the weekend somewhere unsupervised.

Rich Kids is suppose to be a comedy, and I didn't laugh at one thing in the movie. I am sure the film's climax was suppose to have the audience rolling in the aisles with laughter. By a process of elimination, the parents realize the kids are staying at the penthouse, and all barge in at once to find Franny and Jamie naked in a bubblebath together. As they pull the kids from the tub and quickly throw towels over them, all the parents get into an argument over who's fault it is, not noticing that Franny and Jamie have gotten dressed and have slipped out the door. To add to the hilarity, the bachelor pad, which has a Japanese motif, has delicate flooring that can't be walked on with shoes. Since Jamie's father is out of town, his assistant is asked to come over with her spare key to let them in. But they ignore her pleas for them to remove their shoes. Jamie's dad returns to find the other arguing parents in his apartment, and his floor torn up, which is suppose to be funny.

Well, while Rich Kids falls flat as a comedy, it does work well as a drama. Of course, one could argue that the comedy bit of the film was sabotaged by United Artists, who just prior to principle photography slashed the budget in half in order to funnel more money to another film called Heaven's Gate ( 1980 ). Basically the entire film had to be shot in one take as much as possible. This is quite evident in one scene where the dog Trini is walking is apparently spooked by the camera crew, and instead of walking forward, keeps turning around an pulling the opposite direction than the one Trini is walking. The scene continues even though in the movie this is suppose to be a well trained dog. With a better budget, the director would have called cut, and would reshoot the scene until the dog acted properly. Other scenes dialog is delivered poorly and/or the acting is wooden, which would not have been the case if the director had the budget to shoot the scenes again and again until the actors got it right. Timing is everything when it comes to comedy. Even the best written comedy could fail if the timing is off. This is why it is crucial for a director to be able to do retakes on any comedy film, as well as the ability to have scenes rewritten on set should they not work. But as I said, the dramatic elements do work. It is no better than one of those Halmark Channel films, but it is decent enough that you do not find yourself bored. And some of the scenes are almost moving. A nice but ultimately forgetable film.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17703 on: December 11, 2017, 05:32:25 AM »
Airplane

I haven't seen Airplane in a while, so I decided to watch Airplane.  Still great.  However, hot take: Johnny is actually the worst part of the movie.  Except "Larry is getting larger."  That's a solid nonsequitor.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17704 on: December 12, 2017, 06:54:54 AM »
Airplane

I haven't seen Airplane in a while, so I decided to watch Airplane.  Still great.  However, hot take: Johnny is actually the worst part of the movie.  Except "Larry is getting larger."  That's a solid nonsequitor.
I think you mean "Leon is getting larger"  :D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17705 on: December 12, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »
Airplane

I think you mean "Leon is getting larger"  :D

Thank you, I knew the name was wrong but couldn't remember the correct one, been at least 15 years since I've watched Airplane!.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17706 on: December 12, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »
It Came from Outer Space (1953)

I rewatched this as it aired on TCM recently an enjoyed it.  Honestly I feel that it's one of the best campy monster movies ever made.  The production value is high for the time, the mood and score are eerie throughout and it's full of inventive shots and interesting visuals.   Richard Carlson gives a solid performance as an astronomer who witnesses a meteor crash land in the desert which turns out to be an alien spacecraft.  Things get complicated when the bug-eyed aliens start impersonating and abducting people in an attempt to repair their ship.  I really like the reaction shots of the victims from the aliens perspective.  The ending where Carlson's character confronts his own alien doppelganger then blows up the entrance to a mine in order to stop a posse from attacking the aliens is pretty climactic.  I would really like to read the Ray Bradbury story this is based on.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17707 on: December 15, 2017, 06:14:23 AM »
Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Well, that was...frustrating. I didn't hate it, but there was just something about it that I couldn't get into. I was just sitting there watching it in a detached way, rather than getting sucked into it like I did with Force Awakens. I'll need to see it again to get a better idea about it.
As for the movie itself...it felt like it was spinning it's wheels. Yes, a lot of stuff happens. But at the end of it not as much has changed as you'd think.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #17708 on: December 16, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »
Airplane

I don't know if this is general knowledge, but Airplane! is almost a shot for shot remake of the little known movie Zero Hour. Seriously.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8-v2BHNBVCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8-v2BHNBVCs</a>

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17709 on: December 17, 2017, 05:02:03 AM »
I did hear about that.

Tropic Thunder

People seemed to be all about this movie when it first came out, but really, I didn't find it to be terribly good.  The idea is fun (a bunch of pampered actors forced out of their comfort zone) and everyone is doing fine, but for the most part, it isn't actually funny.  I wish this cast got a better movie.  For me, the biggest laugh was Steve Coogan's exit from the movie, which was really well done.  I feel like Brandon T. Jackson's character deserved a better arc (I'm surprised there was only one scene where the fact that his character's name is Alpa Chino comes up).  I wish this was a better movie, since I feel like it has a lot of strong elements and plot turns, but by the end, none of them feel particularly satisfying.  I also think that it might have made more sense if Ben Stiller just stayed behind the camera and cast someone with an action movie background.  In fact, it would have been more interesting to see Tom Cruise in the role.  PArt of me wonders if he's in the movie because he considered it or it was written for him, but then things changed and he still wanted to be in it and they gave him the Paul Giamatti-type role since he's game for doing something different.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17710 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

This has been on my film noir to watch list for a couple of years now and I'm glad I finally found the opportunity to watch it on TCM On Demand.  It's a really interesting story that uses the cliches very well.  There are some unexpected plot twists and a couple of strong performances.  Not only was Lana Turner an incredible beauty more importantly she was a phenomenal talent.  She falls right into the role of femme fatale here and plays the hell of out it.  She also has great on-screen chemistry with her co-star John Garfield.  Their love hate relationship really carries the film and makes the ending all the more tragic. 
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17711 on: December 17, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »
I remember liking this one when I saw it... but I saw it around the same time as the also really good Double Indemnity, so now I keep getting the two mixed up in my brain.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17712 on: December 17, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »
I remember liking this one when I saw it... but I saw it around the same time as the also really good Double Indemnity, so now I keep getting the two mixed up in my brain.

Both are amazing films.
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17713 on: December 17, 2017, 10:47:57 PM »
The Banquet ( 2006) ( a.k.a. Legend of the Black Scorpion )
I had a discussion on another forum about the Dragon Dynasty releases, and was assured that none of them were weak films. Even the ones I never heard of were actually major releases in China. The Weinstein Company ( which owns Dragon Dynasty ) would go the more expensive route when acquiring the distribution rights to foreign films, and negotiate directly for single films rather than buy them as part of a package deal. And if they did end up buying a package, they were more than willing to shelve every other film in the package and allow the rights to expire without making any profit on them. Something believable considering the major foreign films the Weinstein's have shelved over the years, including about a dozen classic Shaw Brothers martial arts films still waiting for their North American release. The willingness to spend that much money attempting to corner the market on Asian films distributed in North America was the same hubris that made Harvey believe he could force so many prominent actresses to have sex with him and never once think it would come back to haunt him. Hopefully something good will come out of the Weinstein's fall from grace. And that is all those shelved films ending up sold to media companies willing to releases them. Dragon Dynasty itself has been a dead company for nearly six years, having not released a new title since 2012. It was never officially dead. It continued to press copies of their best sellers, so not every Dragon Dynasty title is OOP, and the company never officially announced Dragon Dynasty as discontinued. Wikipedia still lists the company as active.

Released under the new title of Legend of the Black Scorpion by Dragon Dynasty, The Banquet was another one of those films I never heard of before that was a major release in Asia and was critically acclaimed when shown at film festivals in this country. Although I am sure Dragon Dynasty's reason for acquiring this film was that it starred Zhang Ziyi, the actress Americans may remember from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ( 2000 ). Something the box it comes in uses as a selling point on it's cover. It is a retelling of William Shakespear's Hamlet, only set in China in the late 900's. But while based on Hamlet, there are plenty of significant differences. Different character names, for one. There is no ghost of the previous king. No Horatio or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. The Ophelia character does not drown and the Polonius character is not stabbed to death by the prince while hiding in the Queen's closet. Both characters survive long enough to be in the film's climax. he prince does not dig up Yorick's, or anyone else's skull, and go into a soliloquy. And perhaps the biggest difference, the Hamlet character and the Queen Gertrude character are both in love.

The plot: A pre credit scroll tells us that long ago Prince Wu was in love with Wan ( Zhang Ziyi ), but his father the Emperor wanted the lovely Wan for his own wife. Despondent, Wu put himself in exile, deciding to become an artist and actor to distract his mind. In the present the Emperor has just died, allegedly from the sting of a scorpion that somehow got into the palace. His brother Li immediately took over as the new emperor, requesting that Wan becomes his wife. Wan sends soldiers to tell Wu about his father's death, but at the same time Li sends assassins to kill him. While the soldiers and actors manage to hold off the army of assassins, Wu manages to escape and returns to the palace. There he discovers that Wan has agreed to marry Li and become the empress again. Suspecting that Li poisoned his brother while he slept, Wu uses his acting skills to organize a play at Wan's coronation ceremony where a sleeping emperor is poisoned by an assassin. Li immediately announces that he has agreed to send Wu as an ambassador to a neighboring country, and he has to leave immediately. It is actually another attempt on Wu's life as the accompanying guards were ordered to kill him once they had crossed the border. But he is saved by a general and his men who were sent by Wan to protect him. As the film progresses we learn of a plot Wan has to poison the Emperor at a banquet, and that all her actions so far may not really have been to protect Wu, but to manipulate the men in the court so that once the Emperor dies that she would be recognized as the permanent Empress.

The Banquet is probably remembered more for it's ending, which takes place months after the climatic banquet. Mentioning any more about it would be a spoiler for the rest of the film. So lets just say something unexpected happens to a character, and we never find out who did it. According to Bey Logan on the commentary track, the director and actors in the film have all refused to say who the final culprit is, leaving it up to the viewer of the film to decide the answer for himself. Bey then gives his own opinion as to who did it, based on the only other prominent character in the room at the time. It is an odd ending to the film, leaving us with an open ended mystery. But it is a very good film. Not really much of a martial arts film. It does have a few solid fight scenes, but they account for only a fraction of the running time, and a buildup to a climatic confrontation never results in a fight. This despite Hamlet having a climatic fight scene involving a fencing match and a secretly poisoned foil. But it does work as a drama. 

Avenging Force: The Scarab ( 2010 ) 
I recently discovered a bunch of direct-to-video MCU and DCU rip-off films, with characters on the box cover who look like they rented their costumes from Party City. In the months to come I will be watching a Captain America rip-off, a Thor rip-off, a Hulk rip-off, a Ant Man rip-off, a Batman rip-off and an Iron Man rip-off. While Avenging Force sounds like an Avengers rip-off, it is mostly the origin story of a superhero called The Scarab. But before we get to that, lets talk about how bad the film itself is. Shot on video and altered to appear to have been shot on film, it is the quality of a porn film, only without any sex scenes. In fact, I have in the past seen a couple of adult films that parody popular superhero movies, and they were of far better quality then this film. ( BTW, porn films are the one thing I am not counting as American superhero films, mostly because there are thousands of them that would take me forever to collect, but also because they all have the same plot which is 20 non stop minutes of the hero and villain f&*^king each other. ) The acting is bad, the dialog is bad from a script that is bad, the only decent costume is that of The Scarab, an even that one the cowl does not fit properly and hangs awkwardly, the lighting is bad, the locations are poorly selected, the sound is bad, the actors are so poorly miked that a lot of the time you can't make out what they are saying..... I could go on forever on how poorly made this film is. It makes the worst of the MST3K films look like big budget Hollywood productions, and that includes Manos. If you and your friends got drunk one night, grabbed a Go-Pro camera and shot your own superhero film, it would look ten times better than this film.

Also, this movie is padded out to 70 minutes, as if the extra 10 minutes makes any difference. And by padding, I mean that during the editing process the director must have discovered he did not have 70 minutes of footage and did everything he could to stretch this movie out. Beginning with a five minute opening of NASA stock footage of CGI planets and asteroids before we get to an almost unintelligible voiceover ( due to an unnecessary echo effect ) explaining how something came from space and crashed into Egypt thousands of years ago. BTW, later in the film it is revealed the meteor that crashed into Egypt was suppose to have given the Egyptians the knowledge they needed to build the pyramids, however the cheap special effects shot of the meteor crashing in ancient Egypt has the pyramids and Sphinx in the background. Cut to modern times. Stock footage of a jungle shot from an airplane combined with the sound effects of a helicopter and the voiceover of actors saying they are in a helicopter lets us know that a helicopter is apparently flying over a jungle. Next we see professor Joab and the helicopter pilot in woods that look nothing like a jungle. The pilot's first line of dialogue on the ground is how they are now walking miles away from where they landed to let us know that yes indeed they did arrive by helicopter, even if there was zero money in the budget to hire an actual helicopter, even if just to film the actors sitting in it. Stock footage is shown of a gunship landing to let us know that the villains also have a helicopter. It is never explained why the professor is in the jungle, what he and the pilot are looking for, or why this particular group of villains are after him. But the pilot stays behind to shoot at the villains, getting himself killed in the process, while Joab runs off to hide. This is all abandoned when the movie cuts to months later to find Joab somehow got out of that alive.

Joab shows up in the classroom of fellow professor Peter Ward. He tells Ward that he has discovered something that he wants him to see, and to drop by his office later to see it. However, Joab and his bodyguard are accosted in a parking lot by another group of bad guys. In the film's only good moment, the bodyguard has a brief but decently choreographed martial arts fight with some of the bad guys. They are looking for a parchment the professor has, and when he refuses to tell them where it is, they zap him with something that gives him temporary amnesia. On his way to his office, Ward is attacked and beaten up by more bad guys. He goes to Joab's house to find it ransacked and Joab passed out. Ward discovers a locker key hidden in Joab's jacket, and goes to the university to use it. There he finds an envelope with the parchment the bad guys are after. They show up a few minutes later, take the parchment away from Ward at gunpoint, and are about to shoot him for knowing too much when a masked woman rescues him. She is The Woman In Red, a sort of a superhero who works for a government agency that wants to prevent Sphinx ( the head bad guy ) from getting his hands on the parchment. She later tells Ward that the parchment is a drawing of a sacred scarab totem that crashed on Earth in a meteor in ancient times and gave the Egyptions the knowledge to build the pyramids, but is also capable of giving whoever possesses it unlimited powers. They decide to search Joab's office when they find the mystic scarab hidden under the floorboards. Ward picks it up, and it immediately turns him into the costumed superhero The Scarab. They are attacked by more bad guys, but The Scarab is bulletproof, has superstrength, can shoot lasers from his hands, and has a lot of other powers. One of the badguys is a mercenary with a costume identical to The Punisher called The Black Terror. When the Woman In red tells him that her organization can pay him more than the Sphinx, he immediately flips sides. All three of them lead an assult on the Sphinx secret base  ( which is a mattress warehouse? ) to retrieve the parchment. But The Sphinx has already used it to turn himself all powerful, which sets the stage for a showdown between him and The Scarab using lame special effects.

Which brings us to the end of the film. Peter Ward and another man named Bart Hill go into the building for the spy agency where The Woman In Red works, and are welcomed on a video screen by the agency's leader General Carter. They are to be part of a new elite superhero team called The Avenging Force which will also include The Lady In Red and Black Terror. Carter tells them that there is a hostage situation taking place, and the Avenging Force is needed. Ward turns into The Scarab while Hill quickly puts on his Doubledare costume, followed by a shot of all four superheroes running down the hallway. This is the end of the film, at about the 55 minute mark. Director Brett Kelly had so far padded this film out to 55 minutes with the unreasonably long opening, overusing establishing shots, and in some cases repeating footage of characters walking down the street. So how did he get the film to it's 70 minute running time? Did he shoot 15 more minutes of The Avenging Force taking out the terrorists holding the hostages? Well, no. I am sure whatever budget the film had was by now good and spent. Instead, there is a five minute cartoon of The Avenging Force taking out the hostages. And I am being very generous with the term cartoon. It is about 12 or so different drawings of the superheroes, the terrorists and a very bad drawing of a helicopter which move about the screen while the occasional words "Biff", "Baff" and "Pow" show up. Then comes 10 minutes of ending credits. No, the film didn't have so many people working on it that the credits needed to last that long. Instead, the credits roll past the screen really slow, and spaced far apart. And I am sure some of the credits were repeated. This is a really bad film.

There is one interesting aspect. These are not superheroes made up for this movie, but actual comic book heroes from the 1940s. Even Black Terror had his own comic at one time, and his costume did almost look like The Punisher. In fact, most of the characters in this film, both heroes and villains, came from 1940s comic books. Even the character Doubledare, which in fact is a character called Daredevil from the 1940s, but changed to Doubledare by the director to avoid a lawsuit from Marvel. Of course, these are all superheroes that were abandoned long ago and have since become public domain. It wasn't as if this movie had the budget to license copyrighted superheroes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:56:26 PM by stethacantus »

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #17714 on: December 18, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
Three Billboards. It was amazing. Best film I’ve seen all year. Definitely the funniest I’ve seen in a long time, but also the most disturbing and upsetting. The performances by... well by everyone were incredible. Francis was perfect, and Sam Rockwell is brilliant. He arcs a little fast, but I didn’t expect him to arc at all.

Definitely go see it if you have a chance. I was laughing out loud in the theater, something I don’t really do, and the next minute silent and disturbed. I love it when a movie can do that. Maybe don’t see it if you’re sexist and racist and feel the police can do no wrong. Actually, on second thought, if that’s you’re situation you should definitely see the film.