login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523030 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 68
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17685 on: December 02, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

I watched this for the first time on Disney XD earlier today.  I thought it was fun despite some of the humor not being to my taste and the artwork throughout is incredibly well done. I liked seeing the use of characters from various video games; Q*bert, Street Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 461
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #17686 on: December 02, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

I watched this for the first time on Disney XD earlier today.  I thought it was fun despite some of the humor not being to my taste and the artwork throughout is incredibly well done. I liked seeing the use of characters from various video games; Q*bert, Street Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.

Only film I've ever been ok with Sarah Silverman in.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3540
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #17687 on: December 02, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Only film I've ever been ok with Sarah Silverman in.

School of Rock?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4964
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17688 on: December 03, 2017, 06:17:44 AM »
Even she's kind of not OK with that, mostly because she doesn't like to play the naggy girlfriend.  And who could blame her.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #17689 on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:16 PM »
Kill Zone 2 a.k.a. SPL II: A Time For Consequences ( 2015 )
The sequel to S.P.L. is a sequel in name only. This is something Hong Kong films specialize in, sequels with few or none of the original cast in plots that have nothing to do with the original. Only Wu Jing and Simon Yam return from the first movie, playing different characters. Tony Jaa gets star billing, although he does not play the lead character. The story, about an under cover police detective ( Wu Jing ) who is kidnapped and put into a prison in Thailand, and the guard ( Tony Jaa ) who eventually helps him escape is pretty decent, even though it relies on a lot of coincidents that defy logic. The fights are really good, but neither live up to the standards set by the original S.P.L. nor the previous Tony Jaa films. And the ending is a huge cheat, with one character mortally wounded holding on to another character who is about to fall to his death and not really able to lift him back to safety, while across town another character is about to be attacked by a wolf. So what happens? We cut to years later to find out all three characters are alive and well, with no idea how each got out of their predicaments. Also, instead of using a real wolf, the film uses a CGI wolf which does not look real. I liked the film, but it had a lot of problems.

Max Steel ( 2016 )
Max Steel began in 2000 as an animated series to promote the Mattel action figure line. The series was about a teenager named Josh McGrath who becomes a secret agent for the N-Tek Corporation. Thanks to an accidental infusion of microscopic nanomachines, Josh can turn himself into the superhero Max Steel. The series lasted about two seasons, although was spun-off into a series of direct to video animated movies that you could only get by buying the latest action figure. The name Max Steel seems familiar, but I do not recall ever seeing the cartoon or any of the toys. It must have been popular with someone, because by 2005 a Max Steel movie was in the works. Attached to the film to play the title character was Taylor Lautner, who had previously played Sharkboy in the movie The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. It would have been interesting to see that movie a week after seeing the Sharkboy movie, but in 2010 Taylor, who was now a huge star due to the Twilight films, dropped out of Max Steel to accept the role of Stretch Armstrong. ( You cant make this shit up. ) Inevitably, neither the original Max Steel movie nor a Stretch Armstrong movie were made. The Max Steel movie was basically cancelled once it lost it's star. Then in 2013 Mattel decided to relaunch their Max Steel line, giving the character a brand new origin. The teenager's name was changed to Max McGrath, and when he combined himself with a robot named Steel, would become Max-Steel. A new Max Steel movie was greenlit which would follow the reboot premise. Quite honestly, while this movie only came out a year ago, I do not remember ever seeing it promoted. Basically Mattel, instead of a major studio,  ended up paying for the film's production.

The film is not exactly bad. Max McGrath and his widowed mother move back to the town they once lived in when his father was killed in a tornado about 15 years earlier. Max soon realizes he is developing super powers, although I am not exactly sure what they were suppose to be. Sometimes he is able to shut off electronic devices and cause local blackouts. Other times he is able to cause appliances that are not plugged in to work. And he is able to make a sort of liquid looking special effect come out of his fingertips. One day he wakes up to discover a small flying android in his room called Steel, who says he was built by his father. Steel says that the energy that Max builds up will cause him to explode unless Steel continuously drains it from him. Also, Steel can harness Max's energy to give him superman like powers. And if they combine themselves then they can become the armored superhero Max Steel.

This is a very thin film that lacks a decent supervillain for Max Steel to fight. The anddroid Steel is a wiseass who's every line is suppose to be funny, but is never funny mostly due to a lackluster vocal performance by the voice actor. It just barely hovers above being a bad film. There are not enough exciting scenes, and when those scenes finally happen they are barely exciting. It is a very forgetable formula film meant to promote a toy and nothing more.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17690 on: December 04, 2017, 10:43:58 PM »
Primal Rage (1988)

Investigating animal experimentation leads a college journalist to accidentally unleash a rage virus that quickly spreads causing its victims to act out violently.  Initially I was kind of disappointed with this but the second half is a little better.  It's very '80s-centric, some of the acting isn't great and it takes a while to pick up.  The depiction of the sick is pretty disturbing though and there are plenty of gory kills.  The climax features a Halloween costume party full of interesting visuals and the ending has some pretty tense moments.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17691 on: December 05, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
Primal Rage (1988)

That poster reminds me of the one for Monster Dog

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 477
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17692 on: December 05, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
I finally got around to watching the AVGN movie. Yeah I know, it's like 4 years old already, but for some reason I've been hesitating and hesitating. Anyway, I finally watched it, because it was SUPER cheap on the Google play store. Now I own it and it's in my digital library... forever. Not sure if that's something to be really proud of, but it's an alright movie. Not sure if I'd watch it a second time anytime soon but I at least enjoyed it.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17693 on: December 05, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »
The Mark of Zorro (1940)

It doesn't get much better than Tyrone Power playing Zorro with Basil Rathbone cast as the villain.  In fact I think this is arguably the best version of Zorro ever on film.  The action in this is exciting throughout from the vigilante style holdups and chase scenes to the swashbuckling.  The story itself is really interesting, it's well acted and the ending is absolutely epic.  I really can't recommend this one enough.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17694 on: December 05, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
Maniac Cop (1988)

I've seen parts of the sequel on cable before but never sat through the original which I've been meaning to check out for awhile now.  I thought this was a smart use of social commentary for the slasher genre that's still relevant today.  It's well paced, the casting is decent and right away there are some brutal kills.  There's also a brief Sam Raimi cameo!  A killing spree perpetrated by a mysterious uniformed police officer puts the city into panic.  Bruce Campbell  plays a cop who is arrested for the murders after the death of his wife.  When the real killer breaks into police headquarters Cambell's character must escape and prove his innocence.  I think the use of a disgraced cop as the serial killer and the investigation into his motives was interesting.  The climax is action packed and the ending left me wanting more.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17695 on: December 06, 2017, 04:51:30 AM »
Bachelor Mother

Got this little movie from the library.  It's not particularly funny but the leads are somewhat charming, though I guess I have trouble with David Niven in a romantic lead.  Part of it is that his character starts off unlikable and he can't recover from that.  To be fair, it also has a lot to do with the writing, but Niven plays his character's insufferably to a tea.

Anyway, a woman finds an abandoned child and society, as a whole, seems to make the mistake that she is the mother.  It's actually VERY upsetting when Niven, believing her to be the mother, basically bullies her into the role.  Once I can get over that, it's not a bad little film, but I kind of don't like that Niven never realizes quite how awful he's been to Ginger Rogers.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17696 on: December 06, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »
Maniac Cop (1988)

I can't read this title anymore without hearing in my head Kevin singing it like the chorus to the Samurai Cop song.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17697 on: December 08, 2017, 10:24:44 PM »
Street Trash (1987)

All the charm of a Troma movie this low budget b-movie splatter-fest makes some interesting commentary on poverty and the homeless while delivering some absolutely brutal death scenes with a utterly twisted sense of humor.  The gross practical special effects makeups mostly hold up really well and a couple of them are actually pretty inventive for the time.  The color palette they use for the gore really does make for some impressive visuals.  There's way too much craziness in this film to even describe and often it will switch back and forth from very disturbing scares to ridiculous comedic segments.  When a bodega owner finds a dusty crate of bottles hidden behind a wall he sells them cheap to the local vagrants.  Unfortunately for them when they drink it they violently dissolve from the corrosive liquid.  Those deaths are linked to a homeless veteran suffering PTSD hallucinations who brutally murders a passing motorist and generally terrorizes the junkyard homeless population.  The cop investigating clashes with a hitman and mob boss whose girlfriend was left for dead in the junkyard but ends up getting killed himself.  The main characters are two homeless brothers and a woman who works at the junkyard and befriends them.  The film climaxes when they are confronted by the psychotic veteran.  The end credits sequence is hilarious and actually made me want to find a copy of the soundtrack.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17698 on: December 09, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »
Goodfellas

Watched this for the first time in years last night.  It's still a great movie, but I forgot how great Pesci is in it.  I mean, it's an over the top performance but it is easy to forget how strangely menacing he is and repulsive he is.

Still, also very funny.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YlyXZG2dupo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YlyXZG2dupo</a>

Seriously, I would give anything to see a web series of Tommy DeVito reviewing paintings.

Robert DeNiro is also great.  I know it goes without saying, but I feel like it is so easy to take for granted that he is great (when not starring in forgettable comedies and thrillers) but he really is.  The scene where he sends Henry's wife down the street is tensely directed, and well performed by DeNiro and Lorraine Bracco.  I love that even though nothing truly tips us off, the director is able to convey her instinct that something is really wrong.  We never know for sure through evidence, but we know if she didn't make the decision she did, she'd be dead.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17699 on: December 09, 2017, 09:15:58 PM »
Maniac Cop 2 (1990)

Pretty solid follow up to the original and I was glad to see  Bruce Campbell return despite his appearance being brief.  This was well paced like the previous film and the new casting was good as well.  The action scenes are bigger and at times they're pretty over-the-top.  The special effects makeup Robert Z’Dar wears is more gruesome and there are plenty of bloody kills.  The climax where he breaks into the prison where he was originally stabbed to death was epic especially when he gets set on fire and still manages to continue his killing spree.  I'm definitely looking forward to the third and final installment in this series.