Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1252006 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17520 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan (1959) aka The Ghost of Yotsuya

One of the scariest early ghost stories on film it's easy to see why this is highly influential on the genre.  It's actually pretty satisfying watching the murderous ronin torment by the vengeful spirit of the wife he killed.  There are some really creepy and cool looking visuals throughout plus it ends with an epic samurai duel.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17521 on: October 10, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Ernest Goes to Camp, Ernest Saves Christmas, Ernest Goes to Jail, Ernest Scared Stupid, Ernest Rides Again, Ernest Goes to School, and Slam Dunk Ernest.

Slam Dunk Ernest has a strange moral.  Ernest joins some sort of intramural basketball team with his co-workers.  When he causes them to lose a game, The Archangel of Basketball (played by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) appears and gives him a pair of magic shoes that give him superhuman abilities of running, jumping, and floating in place.  Nobody notices that he is doing physically impossible things.  He dominates the team so soundly that the rest of the team becomes irrelevant, and Ernest becomes conceited.  The 8 year old son of one of the players eventually steals a pair of shoes identical to the magic shoes, because he thinks that will make him a good player like Ernest. 

Eventually, there is an exhibition match against the Charlotte Hornets.  Ernest dominates for the first half of the game with his magic shoes, but later feels guilty about alienating his teammates, disposes of the shoes, and fakes an injury to take himself out of play.  The Hornets recover, and the game gets real close by the end.  Eventually, for some reason I already forgot, Ernest is brought back in to make some penalty shot to score the game winning basket.  He does this, narrowly, without the magic shoes.  Everyone celebrates.  The other players now apparently have a shot at the NBA after beating the Hornets in the exhibition match.  The kid returns the stolen (non-magical) shoes, having apparently learned his lesson that it is hard work, not shoes, that make a good basketball player.

Except of course, that moral is bullshit.  The local team only beat the professional Hornets by cheating.  Their entire winning streak was brought about through cheating.  None of the other players displayed considerable talent.  When Ernest took himself out of the game, the local team had a HUGE lead (due to the aforementioned cheating magic shoes).  The Hornets simply closed the gap in the remaining time, since they had a fair match on their hands.

Silly movie.  But I didn't hate it.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17522 on: October 11, 2017, 12:20:11 PM »
Time Bandits (1981)

Watched this for the first time on TCM On Demand and thought it was quite good.  I'm kind of jealous of anyone who saw it for the first time as a kid. The story is interesting and fun, the casting is great and it was directed by Monty Python alumni Terry Gilliam.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17523 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
Time Bandits (1981)

Watched this for the first time on TCM On Demand and thought it was quite good.  I'm kind of jealous of anyone who saw it for the first time as a kid. The story is interesting and fun, the casting is great and it was directed by Monty Python alumni Terry Gilliam.
If you haven't seen any other Terry Gilliam directed movies, youbshoild check 17th
Time Bandits (1981)

If you haven't seen any other Terry Gilliam directed movies, you should check them out. About the only 2 I didn't think like were The Brothers Grimm and The Imaginarium-most of his others are great.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #17524 on: October 11, 2017, 04:42:19 PM »
[quote author=wihogfan link=topic=5210.msg981793#msg981793
If you haven't seen any other Terry Gilliam directed movies, you should check them out. About the only 2 I didn't think like were The Brothers Grimm and The Imaginarium-most of his others are great.
[/quote]

Tideland is my personal favorite, but it's also his most uncomfortable.  You should give Brazil a shot, it's also quite good. 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #17525 on: October 11, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Saw The Florida Project in theaters last weekend.  My wife and I loved it.  It's fucking hilarious, and the kids are adorable.  The movie follows around the life of this little white trash girl and her mother living in an Orlando motel.  It works so well because they let the kids just be kids, instead of forcing them to recite dialog only an adult would say.  The lady who plays the mother was amazing, and William Dafoe does a good job as the motel super. 

If you like your movies with a lot of structure, and need every scene to further the plot, then this might not be for you.  There are some inde films that seem to drag on due to a lack of structure.  But this movie avoids that by being constantly funny, entertaining, and beautiful.  Really gives you a great feeling for what it's like to be poor in Florida.

Oh, and it's also quite sad.  I'd describe it as Beast of the Southern Wild with a little bit of Gumo.  I highly recommend it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AsbeXz4Chag" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AsbeXz4Chag</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17526 on: October 14, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
Message From The King

Guy from South Africa goes to LA to check on his sister, finds her in the morgue and goes on a serious payback rampage.

Pretty good action, the people he goes after are all terrible scumbags so it feels pretty good as he goes after them.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17527 on: October 14, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
The Babysitter (2017) - This was really good! A Netflix original movie, it's a horror comedy about a kid who finds out his babysitter and her friends are Satanists who want him for a ritual. It feels like a mix of Home Alone and an 80s Joe Dante movie. It's amazingly charming, with the fun relationship between the main 12 year old kid Cole and the babysitter Bee at it's core. Even characters that you would think are just flat cliches are interesting, like the jock guy in the Satanist group. All the performances are excellent, particularly the kid who plays Cole.
I'd definitely recommend it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #17528 on: October 14, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »
I rewatched CURSE OF CHUCKY today. This is still really good! SO much better than Cult of Chucky. Yeah, it's essentially a haunted house movie with Chucky in it. And it doesn't have the humor that some of the other movies have. But this movie is done so well, I don't mind. It's dripping with atmosphere and tension. The dinner scene alone makes this movie worth it. When you don't know who has been poisoned, and it might be the little kid. Very well done. The production value on the house is fantastic. Such an interesting environment, that lends itself to the gothic tone. Nothing like the awful all white eyesore of a sanitarium in Cult, that might as well be an Apple Store for all it lends itself to horror.
I will admit the CGI in this movie isn't great. But fortunately there isn't much.
The one really big blemish on this movie is the flashback sequence, that is just ludicrous. Brad Dourif looks more like Tommy Wiseau than he does himself 30 years ago. Especially when they actually use footage from the original movie.

Offline Lesbunny

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
  • Dunno why I came back
« Reply #17529 on: October 14, 2017, 07:21:23 PM »
Professor Marston and the Wonder Women - fudging good film. Actually one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It was awesome seeing a relationship widely regarded as taboo or unconventional play out so well. Everyone was amazing, but Rebecca Hall was the stand out, I think. Great all around, and I'm glad that the story got told and popularized.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #17530 on: October 14, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »
Beyond The Gates (2016) - That was...disappointing. I didn't exactly expect a big spectacle like Jumanji, but barely anything happens! The board game itself is ridiculously simple (especially considering they say it's never been won). And what is usually the most interesting part of VCR games, the video, barely does anything. Barbara Crampton looks like she's bored out of her mind, and thinking mostly about what she will use this paycheck for. There is the occasional bit of over the top gore that's funny, but not worth sitting through the whole movie for.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #17531 on: October 15, 2017, 05:25:15 AM »
Beyond The Gates (2016) - That was...disappointing. I didn't exactly expect a big spectacle like Jumanji, but barely anything happens! The board game itself is ridiculously simple (especially considering they say it's never been won). And what is usually the most interesting part of VCR games, the video, barely does anything. Barbara Crampton looks like she's bored out of her mind, and thinking mostly about what she will use this paycheck for. There is the occasional bit of over the top gore that's funny, but not worth sitting through the whole movie for.

I found this one pretty disappointing, despite a potentially fun premise.  I actually thought the character stuff wasn't bad, as it felt like it was trying to be like a mumblecore movie with a silly horror movie plot.  But it certainly doesn't dovetail very well.  My big problem is that the movie revolves around a game, but the rules are all vague and it feels like the potential of knowing where other characters are in the house by looking at the board is wasted.  Also, the first half makes it feel like this movie should have ended worse for our leads rather than "Yay, we freed daddy's soul!"

BTW, Darth, if you like the idea of Home Alone as a horror comedy, you might want to see Better Watch Out, a horror comedy with the opposite premise of the Babysitter.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b88Z3Xa9v4s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b88Z3Xa9v4s</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
« Reply #17532 on: October 15, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »

BTW, Darth, if you like the idea of Home Alone as a horror comedy, you might want to see Better Watch Out, a horror comedy with the opposite premise of the Babysitter.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/b88Z3Xa9v4s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/b88Z3Xa9v4s</a>
That looks interesting, thanks.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17533 on: October 15, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »
Stand by Me (1986)

Another one of those films I've only seen parts of growing up but never sat through the whole thing before.  Interesting story, great acting, incredibly quotable and arguably the best projectile vomiting scene ever filmed.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #17534 on: October 15, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
I really need to see that movie again.  Fun fact, the pie eating scene is actually from an unrelated Stephen King short story unconnected to "The Bpdy".