Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1220158 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17370 on: August 08, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
Gorgo (1961)

One of the best Godzilla ripoffs if not the best.  The monster scenes are quite good despite the campy special effects.  The tone and acting are taken pretty seriously.  The story is similar to King Kong with people capturing a giant monster and exploiting it for public spectacle.  The difference being that Gorgo isn't fully grown and the adult version comes to free it going on a terrible rampage through London.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #17371 on: August 08, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »
This Is It

This is basically showing what Michael Jackson was planning for his live show that he never got to play.  Kind of interesting but as a documentary its not really insightful and as a concert film, well, its only a practice performance. It definitely would have been a great show but it didn't make for a great movie.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #17372 on: August 10, 2017, 01:07:48 AM »
I gave the new Ghost in the Shell a chance, since it made it to redbox.

I could have waited longer.

Its not...horrible, but it wasn't good either. Pretty much the worthwhile parts are images that they duplicated from the first animated film and a couple parts of the Stand Alone Complex series. It tries to gloss over the controversy of whitewashing the main character by making it part of the plot, which didn't make it any less uncomfortable. Every wide shot in the movie is filled with so much overwhelming imagery, like the movie was trying to film seven scenes of Blade Runner at the same time.

In the end, I just want to go back to my anime dvds.

Indeed (on the go back to the anime Blu-rays... but my opinion of the film goes a bit further).

I had one Major problem with it (pun intended once I started the word ;) ).  And that is the Major herself in the film.  In the anime' films, and the GitS:SAC series (both of them, and the film that followed), the Major was where she was - in the position she was in - because of her tactical genius and because of her EARNING her position.  In this crap of a film, her position was given to her simply because her body was a tactical weapon.

The ENTIRE raison d'etre for the character and inspiration and respect for the character was wiped away, by the people making the film wiping their ass with her.

In my mind?  The film was the shit they wiped, using her character to clean their asses with.

[Was my opinion too subtle there?]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:10:21 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #17373 on: August 10, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »
Hidden Figures 2016

OK.  I don't claim to be or have any fantasy that I am any kind of space flight historian.  But I have enjoyed innumerable science shows for the last 50+ years, and I remember exactly where I was and vividly remembered when Armstrong stepped on the moon, being all of 11 years old when it happened.

And, not once in the last 50+ years of interest in space travel had I previously heard of the phenomenal African-American women who made Glenn's flight (and, later, the moon landing) possible, breaking both gender and race barriers within NASA in the process.

WTF?  Seriously: just what the fuck?  How in hell has this NOT been told before?  JF'ingC!

The film was well done, and I know took liberties here and there to make the film more 'viewable', but it is one of the few 'real life' films I could see myself rewatching multiple times.  [Generally, in my career, I saw more than enough variety of 'real life conflict' to last the rest of mine.  I prefer the symbolism of a good S-F or occasional Fantasy film when I want to be entertained.]

Very highly recommended.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 02:12:12 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17374 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:19 AM »
And, not once in the last 50+ years of interest in space travel had I previously heard of the phenomenal African-American women who made Glenn's flight (and, later, the moon landing) possible, breaking both gender and race barriers within NASA in the process.

WTF?  Seriously: just what the fuck?  How in hell has this NOT been told before?  JF'ingC!

I have watched tons of documentaries and read a bunch of books on the space program over the last 40 years and I had never heard of them either.  I was only 5 when the first moon landing took place so I barely remember it.  I remember some of the last few landings better.

The other liberty taken in the film is time compression, and character compression for the men, it was more like a decade of struggle to achieve what they did in the film, and they encountered a lot more "ugly" men in their path.

Someone should do a mini-series on TV that is more true to the real story.  If they can turn The Shining into a 3 part series they could do a 6 part one with the stories of these women.

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17375 on: August 10, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
I gave the new Ghost in the Shell a chance, since it made it to redbox.

I could have waited longer.

Its not...horrible, but it wasn't good either. Pretty much the worthwhile parts are images that they duplicated from the first animated film and a couple parts of the Stand Alone Complex series. It tries to gloss over the controversy of whitewashing the main character by making it part of the plot, which didn't make it any less uncomfortable. Every wide shot in the movie is filled with so much overwhelming imagery, like the movie was trying to film seven scenes of Blade Runner at the same time.

In the end, I just want to go back to my anime dvds.

Indeed (on the go back to the anime Blu-rays... but my opinion of the film goes a bit further).

I had one Major problem with it (pun intended once I started the word ;) ).  And that is the Major herself in the film.  In the anime' films, and the GitS:SAC series (both of them, and the film that followed), the Major was where she was - in the position she was in - because of her tactical genius and because of her EARNING her position.  In this crap of a film, her position was given to her simply because her body was a tactical weapon.

The ENTIRE raison d'etre for the character and inspiration and respect for the character was wiped away, by the people making the film wiping their ass with her.

In my mind?  The film was the shit they wiped, using her character to clean their asses with.

[Was my opinion too subtle there?]

You know, that part did bother me too, but I just hadn't put it into words.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17376 on: August 10, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
M*A*S*H (1970)

"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17377 on: August 11, 2017, 03:47:15 AM »
Little Shop of Horrors

More specifically, the Director's Cut, which it's only like the second time I've seen THAT version. The first time, I didn't know that was the version I was watching, so that was quite jarring because I've seen the theatrical version a zillion times. And I may have been very high, I can't remember but it's a strong possibility.

Once I got over the surprise, though, it's really damn cool! Just add to the list of reasons I despise focus groups. Just makes me think of that Rifftrax live where one of the trivia cards mentioned how Toy Story 3 was accidentally released without ever being seen by test audiences: as a result the movie was really good.

I suppose I should be thankful we eventually DID get to see this version at all, but no one has ever accused me of being an optimist.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline RoninFox

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked:
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17378 on: August 11, 2017, 05:17:41 AM »
Little Shop of Horrors

More specifically, the Director's Cut, which it's only like the second time I've seen THAT version. The first time, I didn't know that was the version I was watching, so that was quite jarring because I've seen the theatrical version a zillion times. And I may have been very high, I can't remember but it's a strong possibility.

Once I got over the surprise, though, it's really damn cool! Just add to the list of reasons I despise focus groups. Just makes me think of that Rifftrax live where one of the trivia cards mentioned how Toy Story 3 was accidentally released without ever being seen by test audiences: as a result the movie was really good.

I suppose I should be thankful we eventually DID get to see this version at all, but no one has ever accused me of being an optimist.

Awhile back the Alamo Drafthouse near me did a screening of Little Shop. I mentioned on Facebook that I'd be more excited if it was the director's cut and the theater responded that it was, so then I HAD to go. After seeing a live version of the show in my teenage years, I always hated the hollywoodized ending, and seeing the director's cut climax on a big screen is practically a spiritual experience.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17379 on: August 11, 2017, 08:43:59 AM »
Arrival (2016)

I watched this on EPIX as it's free this weekend.  It was better than I was expecting and used some interesting concepts.  I thoughts the casting was pretty good.  Amy Adams plays a linguistics expert who works with the military and a physicist played by Jeremy Renner to find a way to communicate with aliens who arrive in giant spaceships at various locations around the planet.  The situation becomes extremely tense as the world stands on the brink of war.  I'm generally not a fan of CGI but I liked the menacing almost squid-like design of the Heptapods.  I thought the reveal was unexpected and really tied everything together in an interesting way.

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17380 on: August 11, 2017, 08:49:37 AM »
Everybody Wants Some!! (2016)

This was similar to Dazed and Confused except it involves a college baseball team in the 80s instead of a high school class.  The music is good in a nostalgic way and some of it was funny.

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17381 on: August 12, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
Sicario (2015)

Speaking of Denis Villeneuve movies I checked this out and was not disappointed. The casting is pretty good, the story is interesting and there's lots of exciting action.  There are some really intense scenes throughout this and both Emily Blunt and Benicio Del Toro give excellent performances.

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17382 on: August 12, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
The Mechanic (1972)

I thought this was much better Charles Bronson movie than the Death Wish films (of which I've only watched the first two).  There are some pretty impressive action sequences throughout this.  I felt the writing was good and thought it stayed interesting until the final scene.

Offline Jesse412

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17383 on: August 12, 2017, 09:59:10 AM »
Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967)

I liked the design of the monster it combines features of both Gamera and Godzilla.  The campy low budget special effects were done better by IshirĊ Honda over a decade earlier but they work well enough here.  I was impressed with the use of a real flamethrower for Yongary's fire breath.  There's an annoying kid and the monster is defeated in a goofy way but most of the action scenes were still pretty fun.  People are probably better off checking out the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17384 on: August 12, 2017, 10:37:45 AM »
The Mechanic (1972)

I thought this was much better Charles Bronson movie than the Death Wish films (of which I've only watched the first two).  There are some pretty impressive action sequences throughout this.  I felt the writing was good and thought it stayed interesting until the final scene.

He was a good actor up until the mid to late 70s, I can't think of any good roles he played in the 80s or later.