login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581804 times)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #16950 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
I was disappointed by Kubo. It was a really weak script, full of clichéd dialog, lazy characterization, and video-gamey plot progression. Charlize Theron was just absolutely wrong for it. A lot of what irked me about her was her character, which seemed like a stock Disney one, but it was also how badly her voice stuck out. Even Matthew McConaughey fit (marginally) better.

The visuals were, of course, very lovely, though I thought Paranorman handled the 3D cinematography better; I was not quite convinced the extra cost for 3D was worth it.

Then we snuck into Suicide Squad. Half the reason to sneak in was to see a Rogue One trailer on the big screen, which did not happen :angry: Anyway, the movie was utterly forgettable, but just barely held together by Deadshot, Harley, and... well, no, mostly just Deadshot. Although I enjoyed some of the other performances, Deadshot was really the only emotional through-line for the plot. The Joker seemed tacked on out of obligation, but thank god he was not a main character; that performance was embarrassing.

I walk out of blockbusters these days (not sure SS technically counts as a blockbuster, but) and I think maybe there's something wrong with me that I don't connect with them at all. Star Trek beyond was anther one I snuck into that wasn't worth seeing for free—it wasn't bad, it was just nothing. I'm left wondering what makes a good movie, are there good movies? Is someone still making them? Someone advertised STB as an "emotional wipeout;" I don't remember feeling one emotion.

In contrast, I watched The Road Warrior for the first time the other day. It was far from amazing — and of course at this point it seems like a rough draft of Fury Road — but it has a style of cinematography that is just inherently watchable. Like, how novel: I can tell where people and objects are in relation to one another. It takes it's time, so that when the action finally boils over, it's exciting. That sort of thing...

One last tirade: I am getting really sick of the phrase "I got this." Once in Kubo, three times in Suicide Squad. We as a culture are getting really efficient at running our slang into the ground.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16951 on: August 25, 2016, 08:12:33 AM »
A couple days ago I watched Radioactive Dreams, the second film directed by Albert Pyun (who also directed The Sword and the Sorcerer and Alien from L.A., as well as the 1990 Captain America movie).  So you know already this was by no stretch a "good" film... but as "bad" films go, it was pretty damn cool.  It begins with an absurdist premise (two kids protected from nuclear armageddon in a bomb shelter who leave it 20 years later to search for their fathers in the post-apocalypic wasteland society, their worldviews heavily influenced by noir novels), and throws in giant rats, mutants, cannibals, tunnel snakes, and George Kennedy along the way to the shoot-out finale.  Plus it has a really good new wave soundtrack (I mean really good... Sue Saad's "Guilty Pleasures" turns a fight sequence into a knockout about 2/3rds of the way in).

It was never released on DVD or Blu-Ray (though hopefully it'll show up now that Lionsgate is starting to release Vestron Video titles), though some VHS copies are still floating around.  I watched it on YouTube, though if it does get a blu-ray release, I might just plunk down for it.

That does sound kind of awesome

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16952 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:20 AM »
One last tirade: I am getting really sick of the phrase "I got this." Once in Kubo, three times in Suicide Squad. We as a culture are getting really efficient at running our slang into the ground.

Yeah, phrases like this ran out of steam almost immediately, yet it's been YEARS and writers refuse to move on. "Let's do this." "Seriously?" "That just happened." "Mind blown." "Oh, COME ON!" The second any of these phrases appeared in a commercial, it should have been obvious that they were DONE. It reminds me of how long people clung to "intense" and, shudder, "epic." I thought those two would NEVER end. Is it a rule that these things have to last an entire decade?
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16953 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:41 AM »

Yeah, phrases like this ran out of steam almost immediately, yet it's been YEARS and writers refuse to move on. "Let's do this." "Seriously?" "That just happened." "Mind blown." "Oh, COME ON!" The second any of these phrases appeared in a commercial, it should have been obvious that they were DONE. It reminds me of how long people clung to "intense" and, shudder, "epic." I thought those two would NEVER end. Is it a rule that these things have to last an entire decade?

Oh my god, there was a trailer for some awful looking off-brand-Disney Robinson Carusoe thing and it felt like it was 60% things poking or flying into your face (in 3D~!), 20% ethnic sass (with animals!), and 20% "Really?" et al. I would not be surprised if it was from the makers of Fly Me to the Moon.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16954 on: August 25, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »

Oh my god, there was a trailer for some awful looking off-brand-Disney Robinson Carusoe thing and it felt like it was 60% things poking or flying into your face (in 3D~!), 20% ethnic sass (with animals!), and 20% "Really?" et al. I would not be surprised if it was from the makers of Fly Me to the Moon.
Yeah, I remember that trailer. It was The Wild, or something like that. Lots of annoying talking animals, looked terrible.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #16955 on: August 25, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »

Yeah, I remember that trailer. It was The Wild, or something like that. Lots of annoying talking animals, looked terrible.
He might be talking about a different film.  I think The Wild was just before the 3D resurgence and the description doesn't fit.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16956 on: August 25, 2016, 02:04:40 PM »

He might be talking about a different film.  I think The Wild was just before the 3D resurgence and the description doesn't fit.
I don't think that's the actual name.

EDIT: Yeah, it's called The Wild Life

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:06:56 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16957 on: August 25, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
That's the one, and I was right re: Fly Me to the Moon. Same production company.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #16958 on: August 25, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
Looks like those DTV knockoff kids movies that you'd see in the stores.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 112
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #16959 on: August 25, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »
I walk out of blockbusters these days (not sure SS technically counts as a blockbuster, but) and I think maybe there's something wrong with me that I don't connect with them at all. Star Trek beyond was anther one I snuck into that wasn't worth seeing for free—it wasn't bad, it was just nothing. I'm left wondering what makes a good movie, are there good movies? Is someone still making them? Someone advertised STB as an "emotional wipeout;" I don't remember feeling one emotion.

Yeah, STB was on the lightweight side, as movie Treks go.  Not as irritating as the first two Abrams-verse Treks, but not involving, either.

Not a lot of blockbusters have scored with me this summer, either, of the few I actually caught.  Independence Day: Resurgence was lifeless, X-Men Apocalypse was pretty but kind of empty, Alice Through the Looking Glass was a mess, The Conjuring 2 was okay.  The two that actually worked for me were Ghostbusters (funny, though not classic-level) and The Shallows.

In contrast, I watched The Road Warrior for the first time the other day. It was far from amazing — and of course at this point it seems like a rough draft of Fury Road — but it has a style of cinematography that is just inherently watchable. Like, how novel: I can tell where people and objects are in relation to one another. It takes it's time, so that when the action finally boils over, it's exciting. That sort of thing...

This is pretty much what made The Shallows so good--it set up a tense situation based on a limited and clear geography, and used both that and the time factor it established early on (the inevitable tide coming in) to rachet it up.  It also didn't clutter things up with a lot of useless subplots.

This totes gives me the feels, amirite?
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16960 on: August 25, 2016, 03:55:08 PM »
I really want a summer movie do-over, not for studios, although that's almost never a bad idea, just for the movies I chose to see. I'm kicking myself that I didn't see The Boy and The Beast, Lobster, Swiss Army Man, and Don't Think Twice (though, for the first and last ones, the releases were so limited that I can't really be blamed). Also Popstar was maybe good? Did anyone see it?

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #16961 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:14 AM »
A couple days ago I watched Radioactive Dreams, the second film directed by Albert Pyun (who also directed The Sword and the Sorcerer and Alien from L.A., as well as the 1990 Captain America movie).  So you know already this was by no stretch a "good" film... but as "bad" films go, it was pretty damn cool.  It begins with an absurdist premise (two kids protected from nuclear armageddon in a bomb shelter who leave it 20 years later to search for their fathers in the post-apocalypic wasteland society, their worldviews heavily influenced by noir novels), and throws in giant rats, mutants, cannibals, tunnel snakes, and George Kennedy along the way to the shoot-out finale.  Plus it has a really good new wave soundtrack (I mean really good... Sue Saad's "Guilty Pleasures" turns a fight sequence into a knockout about 2/3rds of the way in).

It was never released on DVD or Blu-Ray (though hopefully it'll show up now that Lionsgate is starting to release Vestron Video titles), though some VHS copies are still floating around.  I watched it on YouTube, though if it does get a blu-ray release, I might just plunk down for it.

I really dig Radioactive Dreams, I consider it a good movie. Though I consider "B-movies" to often be really good. I'm also a big fan of Michael Dudikoff, very unique actor. Avenging Force is one of his more well done action moveis for example, and the always fun American Ninja.

Rewatched Wild at Heart recently, love David Lynch (and great Nic Cage, Laura Dern, Harry Dean Stanton, Crispin Glover, Willem Dafoe, too many too list)! Also recently rewatched Big Trouble In Little China, hot damn that holds up, incredibly fun kooky awesome film.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 112
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #16962 on: August 26, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »
Rewatched Wild at Heart recently, love David Lynch (and great Nic Cage, Laura Dern, Harry Dean Stanton, Crispin Glover, Willem Dafoe, too many too list)!

It's been too long since I rewatched any David Lynch.  I don't often get around to rewatching much, since my 'to-watch' pile is high as it is, but I've been wanting to revisit both Wild at Heart and Lost Highway for some time.

Same goes for Guy Maddin--Brand Upon the Brain blew my mind when I saw it, as did The Forbidden Room.  Others of his aren't quite at that level, but are still good.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16963 on: August 28, 2016, 03:40:39 AM »
The Remains of the Day

I wouldn't say I loved this movie, but I liked it quite a bit.  Largely because of Anthony Hopkins extremely sad performance as the lead character, a man so respectful to the rules and how things should be, he feels he can't have or share opinions outside of his immediate responsibilities.  He is clearly a person who has feelings but can neither express them or knows what to do with them (and probably thinks for much of his life that they need to be overcome for the greater good).  It really is a powerful role and a great character.  Outside of this, the film itself is fine and competent, but outside of a few moments, feels fairly pedestrian.  I guess that's not a big complaint but something felt... I dunno.  Like something was missing.  I'm not sure what, though.  I will say the director does a decent job with a few tense moments of awkwardness or discomfort for the lead.  I feel like I might like the source novel a bit more though.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16964 on: August 28, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »
Rewatched Sorcerer. This movie is so good you guys. The last half is absolutely relentless.