Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585572 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #16920 on: July 31, 2016, 09:10:18 PM »
Got some bad news recently, but The Jerk definitely helped make me feel better.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16921 on: August 01, 2016, 06:25:27 AM »
You're going to stay that color?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16922 on: August 02, 2016, 08:08:17 AM »
You're going to stay that color?

Hey, fishbelly is in this year.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16923 on: August 05, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
We've been watching a lot of Pure Flix lately. God's Not Dead is as awful as you've heard, but the Revelation Road series (they made three of these things) is a christian Mad Max ripoff starring David A.R. "this vacant half-smirk is my only facial expression" White as a Jason Bourne type ex-black-ops-merc with a heart of... well, we're at least pretty sure he has one, at least, whatever it's made of? The first one also features Ray "What are you doing? You're better than this" Wise, of Twin Peaks fame.

Fair warning: There's plenty of dead space to fill in these (I fell asleep for the last half of 3), but these should still make for a fun bad movie night.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #16924 on: August 05, 2016, 12:35:31 PM »
We've been watching a lot of Pure Flix lately. God's Not Dead is as awful as you've heard, but the Revelation Road series (they made three of these things) is a christian Mad Max ripoff starring David A.R. "this vacant half-smirk is my only facial expression" White as a Jason Bourne type ex-black-ops-merc with a heart of... well, we're at least pretty sure he has one, at least, whatever it's made of? The first one also features Ray "What are you doing? You're better than this" Wise, of Twin Peaks fame.

Fair warning: There's plenty of dead space to fill in these (I fell asleep for the last half of 3), but these should still make for a fun bad movie night.

For those kinds of movies, I just listen to the Midnight Screenings reviews. They are always very entertaining.
And the Cinema Snob has done some really good reviews of God's Not Dead and several other of the religious movies.

But nobody rips into crappy religious movies like Diamanda Hagan! Her reviews of the Left Behind movies are great. And she has also done the Apocalypse series, which is the same thing as Left Behind, but even lower budget and somehow even more incompetent.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:16:15 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #16925 on: August 06, 2016, 12:18:05 AM »
Suicide Squad

I thought it was pretty bad, nice they were going for a more fun tone but didn't work for me for a lot of reasons specifically how women were treated, so few of the jokes landed & a lot of the characters didn't have anything to do.

Do I send my Bpay details to Marvel Films now or will they just post me a cheque?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16926 on: August 06, 2016, 07:46:23 AM »

For those kinds of movies, I just listen to the Midnight Screenings reviews. They are always very entertaining.
And the Cinema Snob has done some really good reviews of God's Not Dead and several other of the religious movies.

But nobody rips into crappy religious movies like Diamanda Hagan! Her reviews of the Left Behind movies are great. And she has also done the Apocalypse series, which is the same thing as Left Behind, but even lower budget and somehow even more incompetent.

I've seen a few of those. There are so many Left Behind ripoffs, though! There was another Pure Flix one, where the whole movie they were trying to stop this terrorist (played by the evil Muslim father from GND) from setting off seven nukes, and they stop him, and then the rapture happens out of nowhere, so it was all pointless. Then David A. R. White drives off to, presumably, star in a better movie that we don't get to see. I don't remember the name, it was so generic...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:09:22 AM by Asbestos Bill »

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #16927 on: August 06, 2016, 08:01:58 AM »
I've seen a few of those. There are so many Left Behind ripoffs, though! There was another Pure Flix one, where the whole movie they were trying to stop this terrorist (played by the evil Muslim father from GND) from setting off seven nukes, and they do, and then the rapture happens out of nowhere, so it was all pointless. Then David A. R. White drives off to, presumably, star in a better movie that we don't get to see. I don't remember the name, it was so generic...

That one was "Jerusalem Countdown."
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #16928 on: August 06, 2016, 08:52:08 AM »
If you can, try to track down Unidentified.  It's basically Christian X-Files, but with newspaper journalists instead of FBI agents.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #16929 on: August 07, 2016, 09:09:58 AM »
Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HZHwxIL9oYo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HZHwxIL9oYo</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #16930 on: August 07, 2016, 09:42:45 AM »
Suicide Squad - Not good. I didn't hate it like I have the other DCU movies, but it is incredibly lazy writing. That's clear from the very beginning when they use the cheapest manner to introduce the characters: exposition dialog over flashbacks that don't tell us anything more than the exposition dialog. The characters are one dimensional or cliche (looking at Deadshot and his daughter mostly). The only bit of life they have is a few of the performances are at least interesting or given some life by the actors/actresses, it certainly isn't from the script.
  The music tries to give the movie a sense of fun, but it just isn't there. So the music is just loudly spackled over dull scenes, clearly late in post in an attempt to save it.
  The villains are just nothing. What's worse, these powerful magical beings, and their magic spells, can be killed by normal explosives.
  Most importantly, there is no real indication why these characters were chosen. The pitch is "What if Superman turned against us?" Okay, a legitimate question to ask in this DC universe. But your team consists of a 90 lb woman with a wooden baseball bat, a guy who can shoot well, a guy who throws sharp boomerangs, a guy who can do what a flamethrower can do, a big guy with lizard skin, and a ninja?! The only superpower they actually have is Primary Character Invulnerability. I don't think Superman is quaking in his boots.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 529
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #16931 on: August 07, 2016, 01:54:03 PM »
If you can, try to track down Unidentified.  It's basically Christian X-Files, but with newspaper journalists instead of FBI agents.
I love Unidentified. I'm also a big fan of the director Rich Christiano's film prior to it, Time Changer, which I ghost wrote a review of for somethingawful.com many years back.

Edited to add: what a perfect name for a hack director/producer of Christian propaganda. Rich Christiano. Bing!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:36:19 PM by Charles Foster Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16932 on: August 07, 2016, 10:01:03 PM »
He Got Game

I remember liking it years before and rewatching it again, I still mostly like it.  There is some weak stuff, like the hooker subplot and the scene with Big Time (both which should have been excised in my opinion) but I really like Spike Lee's filmmaking style (which borrows a lot from silent cinema, I think, in a lot of scenes) and Denzel turns in a great performance.  I also really like the use of music to give a sense of emotional uncertainty in key scenes and while it tries to get you to feel something, I feel like it is intentionally unclear as to what.

Oh, and I rewatched the Thing.  Yet another tense, violent film that has become real comfort food for me.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #16933 on: August 07, 2016, 10:38:39 PM »
The fact the FX (dog scene especially) from The Thing still creep me out after the countless times I've seen it really drives home how great that movie is.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #16934 on: August 07, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
The fact the FX (dog scene especially) from The Thing still creep me out after the countless times I've seen it really drives home how great that movie is.

They are truly amazing.  The movie's really great all over, but those special effects are truly amazing and is really the go to for people when talking about great practical effects.