login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582630 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14685 on: November 30, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »
The Freshman is a pretty fun film.  I've only scene two Harold Lloyd films (this and Safety Last) but they are both a really good time.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14686 on: November 30, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
The Freshman is a pretty fun film.  I've only scene two Harold Lloyd films (this and Safety Last) but they are both a really good time.

Same and agreed.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14687 on: December 02, 2014, 07:43:17 PM »
Judex - A super-stylish tribute/remake of a 1916 French serial of the same name. Judex is a vigilante/hero who is punishing a rich guy who got their by blackmailing and killing people. The only problem is Judex is pretty in to the rich guy's daughter. Judex isn't very interesting, but that's because the director isn't very interested in him. The real star of the film is the governess who runs around in a catsuit and kidnaps the daughter. The movie is fantastically fun, though the story doesn't hold up to close scrutiny. It feels episodic and slight, and in parts even reminded us of the Batmna serial, but it's a great watch. Really glad we got it.

It also feels a lot like a Richard Sala comic - if that means anything to you, you will know exactly what the movie is like.
FINE

Soguru

« Reply #14688 on: December 03, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »
The Freshman is a pretty fun film.
Me and my Mom always liked that film a lot. It was like a really light-hearted version of The Godfather. But I think that was always the intent anyway. Now that I think about it, it was more a combination of The Godfather and Ferris Bueller's day off. Man, that's a zany-ass combo.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14689 on: December 03, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
The Freshman is a pretty fun film.
Me and my Mom always liked that film a lot. It was like a really light-hearted version of The Godfather. But I think that was always the intent anyway. Now that I think about it, it was more a combination of The Godfather and Ferris Bueller's day off. Man, that's a zany-ass combo.

You've got the wrong The Freshman there. This is the one we were talking about.

Never heard of that 1990 one until I just googled it to figure out what you were talking about.
FINE

Soguru

« Reply #14690 on: December 03, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
Never heard of that 1990 one until I just googled it to figure out what you were talking about.
Now that's funny, and I wasn't even trying to make a joke, i genuinely thought you guys were talking about the 1990 movie. :P

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14691 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »
Yeah I was like, 'Like the Godfather? I can't see that at all...'
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14692 on: December 03, 2014, 11:30:54 PM »
Judex - A super-stylish tribute/remake of a 1916 French serial of the same name. Judex is a vigilante/hero who is punishing a rich guy who got their by blackmailing and killing people. The only problem is Judex is pretty in to the rich guy's daughter. Judex isn't very interesting, but that's because the director isn't very interested in him. The real star of the film is the governess who runs around in a catsuit and kidnaps the daughter. The movie is fantastically fun, though the story doesn't hold up to close scrutiny. It feels episodic and slight, and in parts even reminded us of the Batmna serial, but it's a great watch. Really glad we got it.

It also feels a lot like a Richard Sala comic - if that means anything to you, you will know exactly what the movie is like.

Just caught this this morning, and I agree with what you said. It sort of struck me as something of a French Zorro, by way of the 1960s Batman show. Apparently the episodic nature was very much intentional, since it's apparently a remake of a very old serial.

Also Judex himself must spend a good hour each morning strapping pigeons to various parts of his body.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 526
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #14693 on: December 04, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
Interstellar (2014, directed by Christopher Nolan)

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine last week when I opined that I don't think Christopher Nolan knows what a movie director actually does. I'm given to hyperbole sometimes, and  that's a pretty provocative statement about a filmmaker who is arguably the most commercially successful director of the last decade and one who has a considerable and fanatically devoted cult from whom I am sure to catch some grief. Anyway, hear me out.

The things that Nolan does well are things that producers have traditionally done well: wrangling talent, managing technical departments, casting, overseeing editors and composers, and so on. But when it comes to actually blocking actors and sets and camera movements in the film frame and telling them where to move and how to deliver their lines? When it comes to the basic act of directing a film in front of rolling cameras? Man, that guy is barely functional. He's fortunate that his metier is in big action spectaculars where a lot of these deficiencies can be papered over by the need to construct storyboards and animatics for the action sequences and special effects. Left to his own devices, his idea of drama is placing an actor in a medium two-shot without a companion and dumping exposition as a fucking soliloquy. When left to construct action sequences, his default is the run and gun style that doesn't require a sense of filmic space. He's not good at this stuff.

More, Nolan views films as puzzles. This goes all the way back to Memento, but it reached its zenith with The Prestige, which is a puzzle that cheats, and with Inception. These are puzzles to be solved for their own sakes, and, y'know, that's fair. It's a defensible aesthetic. I like puzzles. It's perhaps inevitable that Nolan would make ambitious hard sci fi, because that stuff is all about puzzles. Science is the pursuit of puzzles and their solutions. There's an atavistic pleasure that all humans feel when they figure something out. The harder the problem, the sweeter its solution feels. Providing that thrill is an experience that movies rarely provide, except in tricky mystery thrillers.

When I say that Nolan is a better producer than director, that's a challenge to the prevailing notion that directors are the authors of films. It's true that film is a director's medium, but that doesn't mean directors are always auteurs. David O. Selznick comes to mind. So does Val Lewton. So this shouldn't be taken as a slight, necessarily. But his neglect of the art of directing for the other crafts of filmmaking does make for deeply flawed films.

I'm going to throw in the spoiler tag here, mostly because this gets long, so in case you're in to the whole  brevity thing: I liked it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14694 on: December 04, 2014, 06:36:51 PM »
Agreed with the general comments on Nolan's shortcomings. (Haven't seen Interstellar yet)
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14695 on: December 04, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Now that's funny, and I wasn't even trying to make a joke, i genuinely thought you guys were talking about the 1990 movie. :P

So did I.

I did say "Harold Lloyd's 1925 film..."
FINE

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14696 on: December 10, 2014, 06:32:32 AM »
First Blood:  Shockingly, this is one of those movies that's been around forever but I just never saw it.  It went into a blind spot early on since I was 1 year old when it came out, and by the time I was old enough to watch it, it just didn't seem interesting to me.  Maybe that's because I saw all the ads for the sequels and I had no idea there was a grounded thought-provoking core to the first film.  Sure it has some unbelievably over the top moments and standard action-movie strangeness like cars that explode instantly upon impact, but I couldn't help but get pulled in.  Maybe it was all timing, with the news full of stories questioning police action I sit down to watch a story that ramps up to death on a large scale all because a good-ole-boy Sheriff decided to hassle and arrest a guy for the crime of being in town with kinda shaggy hair and a flag patch.  Even Erica got into the movie after sitting down with me a quarter of the way through.  We were both even moved at the climactic break-down Stallone had. (We did laugh a little when his voice squeaked, but we felt bad about it instantly.)

Wish I'd watched it earlier, and now I'm at least curious enough to try the sequels.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14697 on: December 11, 2014, 07:19:31 AM »
Modern Times

I'm not the biggest Chaplin fan but I remember enjoying some of this in film class (particularly the first sequence) and felt like giving it another go.  I'm glad I did and it is easy to see why this might be tied for Chaplin's most ambitious work (along with The Great Dictator), as it really works in telling a story about machines and systems that end up with a rogue element being introduced (namely Chaplin, who spends much of the first half being driven insane by the world for one reason or another).  The female lead looks beautiful in a way you don't often see in silent comedies, like a real person and a charming one as well.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14698 on: December 11, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »
That's my favourite Chaplin film! Love it!
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14699 on: December 11, 2014, 05:15:44 PM »
Yeah Modern Times is one of the few I own.