Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538664 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14670 on: November 25, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »
Watching Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind..
Not sure why Thanksgiving made me want to watch it :o

Mashed potatoes?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3784
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14671 on: November 25, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »

Mashed potatoes?
I think it was where the car that passed Dreyfus's work truck after dude called him a jackass for being in the middle of the road and he yelled back 'TURKEY!!'... :o
Whoa that was heavy  :speechless:

Soguru

« Reply #14672 on: November 26, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »

Mashed potatoes?
I think it was where the car that passed Dreyfus's work truck after dude called him a jackass for being in the middle of the road and he yelled back 'TURKEY!!'... :o
Watching that scene at the Railroad track... imagine seeing that for the very first time in 1977. I guarantee you, kid or not, that scene is scary as hell.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3784
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #14673 on: November 26, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »

Mashed potatoes?
Watching that scene at the Railroad track... imagine seeing that for the very first time in 1977. I guarantee you, kid or not, that scene is scary as hell.
I remember that (I was 8 then) and you're right! :speechless:

Now watching Strange Brew :P

Soguru

« Reply #14674 on: November 26, 2014, 09:44:11 PM »
Now watching Strange Brew :P
Every time I watch that, I can only think of how much I miss Rick Moranis. :( Wait... are we talking about THAT Strange Brew or the other Strange Brew?

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14675 on: November 27, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »
Close Encounters scared the hell out of everyone in the 70's. I was there I was 14 the theme song would come on the radio and my mom would switch it off, scared that aliens could track us.

My mom was crazy.

Here's the thing: there is no future for the human race. Climate change and a half dozen other ecological calamities are going to destroy us in as little as one generation from now. Mass extinction is a common World event. It's our time now. "Their are babies born now that will experience the end of the world..." EPA, Pentagon Papers, several other noted scientific organizations. That was a couple years ago.

We are done. As a species, we are toast. But, that is okay, there are thousands of species waiting in the wings to take our place. The planet is fine, the people are fucked! Life started 3.2 billion years ago and it just keeps on going.

We are already feeling the effect of climate change, (which the planet undergoes every million years or so... fossil fuels or not... it don't matter whether we caused it any more or not, it's happening. Co2 levels rise and fall on this planet all the time long before we ever started burning coal. But, it don't matter... there is nothing we can do about it now.)

And, you better hope nobody pops up with some technology to save us. Because those people will enslave us. Just lie down and die. Like 99% of all of the species that ever existed on this planet. They are extinct. We didn't kill them. They just couldn't adapt.

I often wonder at how rare fossils are. And of all the species of animals that never left fossils. If we could go back in time... what strange and wondrous creatures might have existed.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14676 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm sorry, Imrahil!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Eric Pode of Croydon

« Reply #14677 on: November 28, 2014, 12:05:06 PM »
Saw the Penguins movie yesterday - now we know why Private has a different accent (kinda).

Good start and lots of fun, but got a bit lost and sentimental in the middle, but a good ending (and stay for the Prince Julian bit in the end credits).

Soguru

« Reply #14678 on: November 28, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
I just watched Rocky IV again... and it's still a great film. Just like a lot of my favorite movies, the soundtrack/score does a LOT to help out the movie. I still get chills in the scene where Rocky crumples up the picture of Ivan Drago. Yeah, it's cheesy as fuck but it's still preferable to Expendables 2 or 3... what the hell happened? How is a simple boxing film better than an action movie with every other action star out there?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14679 on: November 28, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
Saw the Penguins movie yesterday - now we know why Private has a different accent (kinda).

Good start and lots of fun, but got a bit lost and sentimental in the middle, but a good ending (and stay for the Prince Julian bit in the end credits).

I caught this one earlier today, and was very much a fan. It was exactly as fast-paced, goofy, and generally crazy as I hoped it would be. In a time when animated movies seem to be getting more and more grounded (in their own ways, sure, but grounded all the same), it's nice to see something that's more in the vein of The Emperor's New Groove. I didn't even thing the sentimental stuff held it back, if only because they kept it brief enough so as not to get in the way of the rest of the craziness.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5087
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14680 on: November 29, 2014, 06:11:15 AM »
Last week, I watched El Sur (The South), a Spanish film that is considered to be one of the countries all time best.  It focuses on a girl growing up in the early 1950's (and later late 1950's) in the North of Spain and slowly realizing that she doesn't really know who her father is.  It begins when he learns her father is enamored with an actress named Irene Rios and that the two may have a past.  Later the girl's father suddenly bolts from the house only to return a day or so later.  It is a really beautiful, melancholy film.  Interestingly, this is actually the first half of a never completed three hour film, as the producer thought what was filmed already made a great movie and halted production on the second half (where the main character finally gets to the South).  Despite this, it is a really good (though very quiet) character study, worth checking out.  The locations and cinematography is quite beautiful.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #14681 on: November 29, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »

I hurt....  I hurt so much...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14682 on: November 29, 2014, 09:12:03 PM »

I hurt....  I hurt so much...
No Lewis Black as the voice of Grumpy Cat, no interest.

It also doesn't help that it was made for the most boring channel outside of the Golf Channel.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:14:23 PM by Darth Geek »

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14683 on: November 29, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »
Amelie. I've actually wanted to watch this one for a while, and tonight, I decided to finally do it. Very funny, very cute, wonderful movie. I love movies where I can see myself in the characters. :)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14684 on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
Here's a few movies we watched while my wife recovered from surgery:

Charade - A classic I've seen many times. A sort of Hitchcockian-thriller-comedy. The Blu Ray print is just wonderful. Since it is one of those weird cases where the movie entered public domain accidentally on release, I've seen many poor transfers. Also my wife had forgotten all of the details, so she got to enjoy it like it was her first time seeing it. Great performances, including the excellent supporting cast of Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy. I had resisted picking it up for a long time because I had seen it a lot and I am always tempted by movies I've never seen before. So glad we picked it up in the sale!

Beauty and the Beast - Now that's a classic Disney film. Beautiful transfer. Great stuff!

The Innocents - First time seeing this 1961 horror film. It's really incredible. Deborah Kerr plays a governess to two rich children, hired by their rich uncle who has no interest in them. They live out in a gigantic country estate with only a few staff. The previous governess died. The children are a little odd... Wonderful film with a great atmosphere. Loved it.

The Freshman - Harold Lloyd's 1925 film about a young man going to college and making a fool of himself. Funny and light. Great afternoon watch. We watched a couple of his shorts too, but we much prefer the features.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - First time seeing ths classic Australian film. It might have the most impressive transfer of all of the above impressive transfers. It's an incredible looking blu ray, I can't believe it's almost 40 years old! On Valentine's Day in 1900, some girls from a private girls school visit Hanging Rock. Some of them disappear... Really enjoyed this a lot. It was a great companion film for The Innocents.

FINE