login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586704 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14625 on: November 19, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
I'm actually really surprised we haven't heard anything in a long time about a sequel. The first one was a hit, there's no reason for them not to do it. The only issue may be it being a little more expensive to get the rights to the characters now that the companies know how lucrative the movie can be.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14626 on: November 19, 2014, 03:40:09 PM »
They confirmed back in April that it's at least being written. That's one of the few Disney movies that I'm totally OK with many many sequels being made.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #14627 on: November 19, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »
It's probably the closest we're going to get to a Roger Rabbit level crossover movie.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14628 on: November 19, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »
Dumb and Dumber To
Of course, this isn't as funny as the original,  and they copy many aspects of the original. It takes a long time to get going.  That said, there were many times that I laughed pretty hard.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14629 on: November 21, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
The Hunger Games - Mockingjay: Part 1: S'alright. When the movie takes aim at the creation of political propaganda and how it affects the warring world around them, it's aces. Not enough sci-fi really gets how important the "winning the hearts and minds of the people" is to a revolution (and when it does, it almost always does it exclusively from the villain's point of view). This series does, and is all the better for it. It's quite like the last movie, actually; all the stuff directly related to the uprising and politics of the world are quite interesting (this one also manages to toss in an exceedingly tense nighttime raid that'd fit in with any modern action thriller). The rest, though, not so much. Jennifer Lawrence continues to excel as our leading Mockingjay, but remains anchored down by the dead weight that is love interest Peeta (who thankfully isn't in this movie all that much at all, at least). It feels downright contrived at times, especially when it prevents her from seeing the big picture and the movie has to essentially shove her face into a pile of burned corpses to get back on the right track. That the whole thing just ends is a bit of a blow as well, as this very much feels like half of an actual movie.

I enjoyed it overall, and will probably even be seeing it again with friends. But after being blown away by the quality increase from the original Hunger Games to Catching Fire, I can't help but feel a tiny bit let down by this one. Hopefully next year's final entry manages to deliver on everything that it's been building to.

Also, seeing PSH again stung a bit. I'm still a little raw over that, frankly.

Soguru

« Reply #14630 on: November 21, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »
Took my cousin to see Guardians of the Galaxy tonight. That's my fourth time seeing that movie, and I loved the hell out of it.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14631 on: November 22, 2014, 02:48:15 AM »
Beetlejuice.

Had the theme in my head all week so needed to give it a look, this era Burton would have made a hell of a Harry Potter movie.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Eric Pode of Croydon

« Reply #14632 on: November 22, 2014, 09:54:47 AM »
Still trying to process "Interstellar", which is the first movie I've seen that humanized space flight, but don't start asking questions like

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soguru

« Reply #14633 on: November 22, 2014, 11:25:45 AM »
Still trying to process "Interstellar", which is the first movie I've seen that humanized space flight, but don't start asking questions like

I pointed this out on Facebook just today... even if a movie is 100% scientifically accurate, or even just 95% accurate, it can still suck. Scientific accuracy in my opinion does not affect the quality of any movie. If it did, I would have to say 1979's The Black Hole was a phenomenal piece of shit. As it is though, I think it still holds up very well.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14634 on: November 22, 2014, 02:13:25 PM »
Prisoners

GREAT movie.   Hugh Jackman was beyond good.  All the cast and story was perfect.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14635 on: November 22, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
Gamera Guardian of the Universe - This was a lot of fun! Lots of monster actuon. In fact, there's really not that much downtime between sections with Gamera and/or Gaos. In movies like this, we often go thirty minutes or more with just the humans. But this movie just sprinkles them in, only when needed. Well, with only one acception, which I will get to later.
  I agree with all the points in stethacantus' review. Particularly the issues with the models. Being willing to shoot the movie like it's a much larger budget, allows the monster battles to be done the way they should, and gets the most enjoyment out of them. As such I can forgive it if the cars may look like mathbox vehicles, and the details on the cities isn't good enough.
  The only complaints I have are with the completely unnecessary subplot about a teenage girl with some kind of amulet that connects her with Gamera. When Gamera is hurt, she gets hurt, they make this clear several times. Except when Gamera falls several thousand feet and is in a huge explosion, she isn't effected. Most importantly, there is no indication WHY this is happening. It doesn't seem to benefit Gamera, and it certainly doesn't benefit the girl. She says at one point "Gamera needs my strength" but we seen no evidence of this, so I call bullshit. In reality, it seems more like the MST3K host segment where Gamera (played by Mike) says he is just using Kenny.
  Also there is a shoehorned in scene about the dangers of humanity messing up the Earth. It comes out of nowhere, effects nothing, and is not mentioned again. It's a Big Lipped Alligator Moment of environmental messages. Regardless of the fact I happen to agree with the overall point they were (poorly) trying to make, the scene should have been cut.

I'm glad I got this set of the three 90s Gamera movies.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #14636 on: November 22, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
Gamera Guardian of the Universe - This was a lot of fun! Lots of monster actuon. In fact, there's really not that much downtime between sections with Gamera and/or Gaos. In movies like this, we often go thirty minutes or more with just the humans. But this movie just sprinkles them in, only when needed. Well, with only one acception, which I will get to later.
  I agree with all the points in stethacantus' review. Particularly the issues with the models. Being willing to shoot the movie like it's a much larger budget, allows the monster battles to be done the way they should, and gets the most enjoyment out of them. As such I can forgive it if the cars may look like mathbox vehicles, and the details on the cities isn't good enough.
  The only complaints I have are with the completely unnecessary subplot about a teenage girl with some kind of amulet that connects her with Gamera. When Gamera is hurt, she gets hurt, they make this clear several times. Except when Gamera falls several thousand feet and is in a huge explosion, she isn't effected. Most importantly, there is no indication WHY this is happening. It doesn't seem to benefit Gamera, and it certainly doesn't benefit the girl. She says at one point "Gamera needs my strength" but we seen no evidence of this, so I call bullshit. In reality, it seems more like the MST3K host segment where Gamera (played by Mike) says he is just using Kenny.
  Also there is a shoehorned in scene about the dangers of humanity messing up the Earth. It comes out of nowhere, effects nothing, and is not mentioned again. It's a Big Lipped Alligator Moment of environmental messages. Regardless of the fact I happen to agree with the overall point they were (poorly) trying to make, the scene should have been cut.

I'm glad I got this set of the three 90s Gamera movies.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #14637 on: November 22, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
Also, she's played by Steven Seagal's daughter.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14638 on: November 22, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »
I am not willing to believe that she is really effecting ANYTHING.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #14639 on: November 22, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
I am not willing to believe that she is really effecting ANYTHING.