Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523470 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14610 on: November 18, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
Mulan - We were in the mood for a Disney film, so we picked Mulan, which we hadn't seen in a while. Also about a girl who 'doesn't know her place.' It's a middle tier Disney film. Not one of their best, but fun and entertaining enough. Nice artistic choices as far as the animation goes, but not a masterpiece for sure.

Disagree whole heartedly with your appraisal of Mulan. It's one of my favorites from Disney. That might just be because it speaks to me on a mega personal level, though.

Could be. But also might be related to your age? I don't know how old you are, but I think generally people find Disney's golden period to be when they were in the right age group to see the movie a thousand times.

Some people maintain that Oliver and Co or The Fox and the Hound are watchable!

(To be clear, I don't think Mulan is bad at all, I just don't think it hits the heights of many Disney films. I'm a huge Disney nerd, so thinking it is just quite good isn't as damning as it might sound. My letterboxd rating is 3 1/2 out of five - 70% is a pretty high score for more most films!)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:49:53 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14611 on: November 18, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
Mulan has one of my favorite Disney soundtracks. After I saw it for the first time back in theaters, I rushed right to the Disney Store to get the soundtrack.

We were commenting on how weird it was as we watched it. The songs are fun, but there are some weird 80s sounding score moments.
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14612 on: November 18, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
Mulan - We were in the mood for a Disney film, so we picked Mulan, which we hadn't seen in a while. Also about a girl who 'doesn't know her place.' It's a middle tier Disney film. Not one of their best, but fun and entertaining enough. Nice artistic choices as far as the animation goes, but not a masterpiece for sure.

Disagree whole heartedly with your appraisal of Mulan. It's one of my favorites from Disney. That might just be because it speaks to me on a mega personal level, though.

Could be. But also might be related to your age? I don't know how old you are, but I think generally people find Disney's golden period to be when they were in the right age group to see the movie a thousand times.

Some people maintain that Oliver and Co or The Fox and the Hound are watchable!

(To be clear, I don't think Mulan is bad at all, I just don't think it hits the heights of many Disney films. I'm a huge Disney nerd, so thinking it is just quite good isn't as damning as it might sound. My letterboxd rating is 3 1/2 out of five - 70% is a pretty high score for more most films!)

It's an interesting point, and one I partially agree with. But then, my prime Disney watching age (as an actual child, that is) was the early/mid 90s, which seems to be a Golden period from them no matter who you're asking.

Although I thoroughly object to any slam towards The Fox and the Hound. Oliver, maybe, but not Fox and Hound.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14613 on: November 18, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »

I don't think I've ever seen Mulan, will have to have a look
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #14614 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:38 AM »
Isn't that one of those horrible kids movies where they fucking kill one of the characters? I hate that shit.  Fuck you, Charlotte's Web.

Surprisingly no! It only has the breakdown of true friendship, which is, of course, equally heartbreaking, but more recoverable.

Offline stansimpson

• Liked: 332
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #14615 on: November 19, 2014, 05:59:37 AM »
I stopped watching Disney movies after Hunchback I think.  Though I think I did see Pocahontas, which reinforced my not-watching-disney movies thing.

Though Tangled I did see, and it was OK the first time. Second time the music annoyed the shit out of me.
FWIW, Pocahontas came out before Hunchback. And on a personal note, I highly recommend Wreck-It Ralph.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14616 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:12 AM »
I'm a huge Disney fan. I love almost all the movies they've made and can watch them non stop. I'm also that irritating person who has to sing along with the songs. I'm so basic it hurts.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14617 on: November 19, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
I stopped watching Disney movies after Hunchback I think.  Though I think I did see Pocahontas, which reinforced my not-watching-disney movies thing.

Though Tangled I did see, and it was OK the first time. Second time the music annoyed the shit out of me.
FWIW, Pocahontas came out before Hunchback. And on a personal note, I highly recommend Wreck-It Ralph.
Yes, Wreck-It-Ralph was excellent!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14618 on: November 19, 2014, 06:44:24 AM »
I am also apparently in the minority in that I REALLY like Hercules. Maybe it's part that I am not that familiar with the original legends, which they diverge from a lot apparently. But I just find it fun as hell.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #14619 on: November 19, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
I would also recommend Wreck-It Ralph... although I've always considered movies made by Disney and "Disney" movies to be separate classifications. It's not a "Disney" movie with at least a small handful of Broadway-esque song and dance numbers.

Last "Disney" movie I watched was Emperor's New Groove, which I liked quite a bit. Lightweight and flies by in what seems like a few minutes... but it's a lot of fun.

Soguru

« Reply #14620 on: November 19, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
I am also apparently in the minority in that I REALLY like Hercules. Maybe it's part that I am not that familiar with the original legends, which they diverge from a lot apparently. But I just find it fun as hell.
Jontron's a big fan of Hercules :)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14621 on: November 19, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »
I would also recommend Wreck-It Ralph... although I've always considered movies made by Disney and "Disney" movies to be separate classifications. It's not a "Disney" movie with at least a small handful of Broadway-esque song and dance numbers.

Last "Disney" movie I watched was Emperor's New Groove, which I liked quite a bit. Lightweight and flies by in what seems like a few minutes... but it's a lot of fun.

Hercules is a blast as long as you're not expecting a mythology lesson. One of my favs.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14622 on: November 19, 2014, 10:39:13 AM »

First time I watched it I hated it because I read a lot of mythology as a kid and the movie barely even resembled them. (Yeah, it's Greek, they got columns right?)

Second time I watched it, years later with no expectations, I looked at it as more like a sports movie and it worked a lot better. Still not my favorite, but it doesn't bother me anymore.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #14623 on: November 19, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »
I'm a huge Disney fan. I love almost all the movies they've made and can watch them non stop. I'm also that irritating person who has to sing along with the songs. I'm so basic it hurts.

I'm exactly the same, except my total inability to sing means I just bob along to the songs instead.

And yes, Imrahil, gonna add to the chorus recommending Wreck-It Ralph. That one's a keeper.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 394
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14624 on: November 19, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »

Don't you have to be super into videogames for that to work?

My mom enjoyed it, so absolutely not.

It does add to your enjoyment if you get all the little references, but the main story, boiled down, doesn't rely on knowledge of videogames.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!