login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1524434 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14595 on: November 15, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
The Guest

From the director of 'You're Next' and of a similar winking B-grade 80's throwback tone, didn't like it as much as You're Next but still thought it was a fun, dark action comedy.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #14596 on: November 16, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »
Interstellar

Mumbles McConaughey and his brutal enunciation join forces with Nolan and his newly found clown hammer of tear-jerking! Hollywood gold!  At this point in the game, I've accepted that Nolan enjoys the smell of his own farts... but at some point he's got to stop making two hour movies that run for 176 minutes. I'll watch it again once it hits the rental market... Some of his movies, like The Prestige and Batman Begins, I enjoyed more the 2nd time around... But I left the theater feeling that Interstellar was bloated, with the underlying sci-fi elements being a fairly long-winded and nonsensical distraction from the emotional aspects.

Rookie of the Year

Fun little family movie about a kid that breaks his arm only to be able to throw 100mph fastballs once he heals. Of course, as only Hollywood could do, he becomes the closer for the Chicago Cubs. My six and eight year olds enjoyed it quite a bit... some decent slapstick and gags aimed squarely at their demographic. Gary Busey plays a primary support role, and it was nice to look back 20 years and be reminded that he once could pass as a functional member of a human society.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #14597 on: November 16, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »
 I just finished watching the Gamera Legacy Collection from Mill Creek.  I initially just wanted to see the Gamera films from the 90s, but then found the Mill Creek collection selling on Amazon for just $5. All 11 of the Daiei studio films. Nice deal, if you do not mind the lack of any English dub track, no commentary track, and no extras whatsoever, and technical problems with the subtitles on the last two films.  Just the original Japanese movies, minus the latest film. For the past three months I have been watching the Gamera films in their original release order, and writing a review of each. I am hiding them in ths spoiler option for those of you who want to see the series for yourself and do not want to know the outcome of each film. ( But seriously, the 90s films do have spoilers you probably do not want to read in advance. )

Giant Monster Gamera ( a.k.a. Gammera The Invincible ) ( 1965 )  
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Giant Monster Duel: Gamera vs. Barugon ( a.k.a. War of the Monsters ) ( 1966 )

Giant Monster Midair Battle: Gamera vs. Gyaos ( a.k.a. Return of the Giant Monsters ) ( 1967 )

Gamera vs. Space Monster Viras ( a.k.a. Destroy All Planets ) ( 1968 )

Gamera vs. Giant Evil Beast Guiron ( a.k.a. Attack of the Monsters ) ( 1969 )

Gamera vs. Giant Demon Beast Jiger ( a.k.a. Gamera vs. Monster X ) ( 1970 )

Gamera vs. Deep Sea Monster Zigra ( 1971 )

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #14598 on: November 16, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
Super Monster ( a.k.a Gamera: Super Monster, a.k.a. Space Monster Gamera ) ( 1980 ) 

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #14599 on: November 16, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
Gamera: Giant Monster Midair Battle ( a.k.a. Gamera: Guardian of the Universe ) ( 1995 )

Gamera 2: Legion Invasion ( a.k.a. Gamera 2: Attack of Legion ) ( 1996 )

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #14600 on: November 16, 2014, 04:49:11 PM »
Gamera 1999: The Absolute Guardian of the Universe ( a.k.a. Gamera 3: The Awakening of Iris, a.k.a. Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris ) ( 1999 )

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14601 on: November 16, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
Good reviews. I saw the 90s Gamera movies years ago and remember liking them a lot. So I just ordered the set.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
« Reply #14602 on: November 16, 2014, 09:30:02 PM »
Good reviews. I saw the 90s Gamera movies years ago and remember liking them a lot. So I just ordered the set.

Like I said at the top of this review, there are problems with the subtitles.  Gamera 2 is out of sync, so that the subtitles are about three seconds late. Gamera 3 it seems like every other subtitle is missing. Checking the reviews on Amazon, every release of the Gamera films had the same problem, even the blu rays, with the problem never being fixed.  If you can put up with that then the films are worth owning. But you know how things go when you buy a DVD. A week after you get your DVD, you get an email from Amazon announcing a deluxe or ultimate version of the same movie being released. But for only $5, worth the risk.

Soguru

« Reply #14603 on: November 17, 2014, 05:53:45 PM »
The Angry Video Game Nerd - I laughed a few times but overall it was really lame, I had to watch it in multiple sittings because I was so bored.
I can't sit through this movie now. I am so scared of losing all respect for that guy.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14604 on: November 17, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »
The Angry Video Game Nerd - I laughed a few times but overall it was really lame, I had to watch it in multiple sittings because I was so bored.
I can't sit through this movie now. I am so scared of losing all respect for that guy.
It's not that bad. In fact one of the reasons it's a little underwhelming is that so much of it IS ambitious and scope-wise impressive, then there are the lesser quality effects, the sometimes baffling script directions, it feels like it could have been better. I still think it's worth watching, though.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14605 on: November 17, 2014, 09:56:29 PM »
It's not that bad. In fact one of the reasons it's a little underwhelming is that so much of it IS ambitious and scope-wise impressive, then there are the lesser quality effects, the sometimes baffling script directions, it feels like it could have been better. I still think it's worth watching, though.

I didn't lose any respect for James but I don't recommend the movie. It's not in the style of a movie I would usually watch and it is poorly made in many ways. I still love his reviews, I keep hoping he'll start making them more often since he's not working on the film. I was happy enough to buy the movie but I would never watch it again. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14606 on: November 18, 2014, 07:01:24 AM »
Once the DVD is out at the end of the year, I would expect AVGN episodes to pick up in frequency.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14607 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:39 PM »
Cluny Brown - I've had a copy of this sitting around for so long I forgot what it was or why I got it. My wife was really sick this weekend so we just popped it on because it was at hand and, from the title, I had thought it was a detective movie or something, but it turned out to be fantastic comedy directed by Ernst Lubitsch! (We love Lubitsch films) Set in the 1930s, Cluny Brown girl who 'doesn't know her place.' Her uncle is a plumber, and she insists on plumbing too. He sends her away to a rich family to work as a maid. Hijinks ensue.

Very clever and funny movie. I hope it gets a blu ray release at some point.

Mulan - We were in the mood for a Disney film, so we picked Mulan, which we hadn't seen in a while. Also about a girl who 'doesn't know her place.' It's a middle tier Disney film. Not one of their best, but fun and entertaining enough. Nice artistic choices as far as the animation goes, but not a masterpiece for sure.
FINE

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14608 on: November 18, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »
Mulan - We were in the mood for a Disney film, so we picked Mulan, which we hadn't seen in a while. Also about a girl who 'doesn't know her place.' It's a middle tier Disney film. Not one of their best, but fun and entertaining enough. Nice artistic choices as far as the animation goes, but not a masterpiece for sure.

Disagree whole heartedly with your appraisal of Mulan. It's one of my favorites from Disney. That might just be because it speaks to me on a mega personal level, though.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3076
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14609 on: November 18, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »
Mulan has one of my favorite Disney soundtracks. After I saw it for the first time back in theaters, I rushed right to the Disney Store to get the soundtrack.