Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583822 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14535 on: November 06, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
Odd Thomas.

Felt way more like the pilot to a cool TV show than a movie, a similar concept has been done better elsewhere but it was okay and that Addison Timlin is stunning. 

Pity that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
though.

*Edited to hide possible spoiler  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:16:34 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14536 on: November 06, 2014, 08:41:02 AM »
Odd Thomas.

Felt way more like the pilot to a cool TV show than a movie, a similar concept has been done better elsewhere but it was okay and that Addison Timlin is stunning. 

Pity that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
though.

*Edited to hide possible spoiler  ;)

Erica was a bit disappointed in that movie herself, said the book series is far better. I remember enjoying it, but I think you're right on with it feeling like a TV pilot.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14537 on: November 07, 2014, 04:29:52 AM »
They Came Together

Saw this on the plane.  Really funny movie, though it hits the note of characters telling a dumb joke and then laughing way to hard at it a little too much (same with characters explaining romantic comedy cliches as exposition).  I liked it, but I don't think I cared for it as much as a lot of people.  I think I would have preferred it if it used romantic comedy cliches as a springboard for something weirder, which is does at times and very well).  Still, it's nice to see that people can still do a great parody (and one that clearly understands and has affection for it's incredibly cheesy source material).

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TPzHRXUcUWU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TPzHRXUcUWU</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14538 on: November 08, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
Big Hero 6 - I really enjoyed it.  Not as good as some of the better live action Marvel movies, but good. I thought having his brother die, was unnecessary and cliche, as motivation for Hiro. And when they pulled their punches with the villain's daughter, that seemed cheap.

I liked the short before the movie. Especially it's message that vegetarians are awful, and you are better off without them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:00:06 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #14539 on: November 08, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
Had the choice between Interstellar and Big Hero 6.

I chose Interstellar and this is how I felt after.

I do not think I have seen a more boring film in my life. 

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14540 on: November 08, 2014, 06:55:16 PM »
I do not think I have seen a more boring film in my life. 

Wow. I couldn't disagree more. I thought it was exceptionally well-paced. And not just a beautiful movie (it's gorgeous beyond belief), but incredible acting and storytelling. It felt like a refocussing on science fiction as a tool for examining humanity.

To be fair though, I really want to see Big Hero 6.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #14541 on: November 08, 2014, 08:15:15 PM »
It was basically like Prometheus.  Wonderful production values, terrible script.  There's an area they show off in trailers on an ice world and the entire 40 minute segment has absolutely no relevance to the rest of the film.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14542 on: November 08, 2014, 08:50:43 PM »
It basically looks like Contact + Solaris to me.

It's seemed like it was inspired by both of those. And 2001, obviously. But it's definitely its own story.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14543 on: November 08, 2014, 09:01:38 PM »
As far as I can tell, from the trailers and reviews, it's about them going from planet to planet unsuccessfully trying to find a new homeworld for their species. ...isn't that the same plot as that lame short called 'Home' that was in front of Peabody and Sherman?

Soguru

« Reply #14544 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
Interstellar. It's not the next 2001... but it's a solid and excellent sci-fi film. The performances were wonderful, story was fantastic, and I forgot I was watching movie stars and actually saw characters.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14545 on: November 09, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
SNOWPIERCER. Great flick. We need more movies that are genuinely pissed off and have a bone to pick with the state of the world.

I saw that last night and did not care for it that much.  The main guy and his group did a good job, but the acting of the people in the front of the train was way overdone.  They saw in the script that they had to be weird, and they did.

And the ending was terrible.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14546 on: November 09, 2014, 06:45:59 PM »
John Wick

Great action movie, really enjoyed it.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14547 on: November 09, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
Say Darth Geek.  How spoilery is that little detail you mentioned about the brother?  Seems like something I didn't want to know yet since I'm going to see it this week, but I guess if its something in the first few minutes its not a big deal.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14548 on: November 09, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Duck Soup

Never saw this one before, but it is a lot of fun.  That said, I think I'm not really a fan of Harpo for the most part, at least in solo scenes.  He does good physical comedy, but any time I spent with him is usually time I want to see Groucho (but when he and Groucho are together, there's good chemistry).  I think what I like about the Marx brothers (save for poor Zeppo) is that they actually have very different styles.  OK, Chico and Groucho both use fast wordplay, but even within that they have really different vibes.  I mean, I like the 3 Stooges but while there is a bit of difference in their personality, their humour is part of a cohesive whole.  On the other hand, the varying styles between the brothers are quite different but act as a great compliment.

I was actually really surprised by the last act of the movie, which is still hilarious but in a completely unexpected way.  I was expecting the war that was being built up to, but it was both hilarious and... i really can't call it dark, because it never really looks at the horrors of war save for broken buildings (though the film does imply that people died and while Rufus T. Firefly is a charming, fun-loving leader, Freedonia is a totalitarian state) but they way it's presented is completely chaotic in a way I didn't expect, turning a battleground into a playground.

I think most people feel this is the superior film and I get why, but I might prefer A Night at the Opera.  Sure, Duck Soup doesn't waste time with a lame romance plot, but I think I like it more when the Brothers are on the side of angels, whereas in this they are on the side of pure chaos (again, an understandable reason for preferring Duck Soup).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14549 on: November 09, 2014, 08:50:59 PM »
Say Darth Geek.  How spoilery is that little detail you mentioned about the brother?  Seems like something I didn't want to know yet since I'm going to see it this week, but I guess if its something in the first few minutes its not a big deal.
That happens pretty early on in the movie.