Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540654 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14520 on: November 02, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
Monkey Shines

I usually don't watch the How Did This Get Made episode subjects beforehand (or even after), but I was desperate for something Halloween-ish to watch on youtube that I can fall asleep through.  As you can imagine, not very good and didn't do a good job setting the monkey up as a viable threat.  There are a few stand-out so bad, it's good moments, but it's largely forgettable.  Not George Romero's best.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2615
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14521 on: November 02, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
I bought the Criterion blu of that a couple of months back and haven't watched it yet.  I'm curious to see the "extended" version.

I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe in the Criterion Barnes and Noble sale next week?
Is the sale next week? I've been putting off the IAMMMMW Blu for a while, but I might finally take the leap.

It's one of those rare movies where I say "The longer, the better", if only because the ridiculous excess is basically the whole point of the movie. And because it's already very funny at the crazy length it's at anyhow. Can't image more will hurt.

Starts on the 11th, I believe.
FINE

Soguru

« Reply #14522 on: November 03, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I had to stop watching about 75 minutes in. The film had just stopped dead in its tracks for a protracted period of time. Ron acts like a dick, and again, Hermione seems like the impetus that gets the characters moving. Seriously, if it weren't for her I don't think any of the characters would get anything done.

The biggest weakness of these films is that Harry potter and company have to have all these scenes where they go through their stereotypical kid/teenage crap. If the films didn't get so bogged down in all that and starting off in such a formulaic fashion, I might like them more.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14523 on: November 03, 2014, 07:18:34 PM »
Monster House

This would be a much better movie if the animation was not so weak.  I remember the writers complaining that they just weren't allowed to make it scary enough, but I think they did a rather good job in that department.  But the animation is surprisingly crude for whatever year that was released and it dulls the effectiveness.  The fact of the matter is that this should have been a live action movie.  There's clearly an attempt by the movie to become akin to the Goonies, the Monster Squad and films in that vein and it largely manages to be successful.  The writing and acting is fine, but it is REALLY hampered by the animation.  It's not even terrible animation, bit it is weak enough to do harm to the film.  I guess I also feel that the babysitter character disappears from the film and it feels like she was supposed to play a larger role.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
FINE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14525 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
22 Jump Street. Exactly what you expect from it just a goofy self aware film about being a sequel. Very Wayne World 2ish. Fine, except about 30 minutes too long.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14526 on: November 03, 2014, 10:46:57 PM »
Monster House

This would be a much better movie if the animation was not so weak.  I remember the writers complaining that they just weren't allowed to make it scary enough, but I think they did a rather good job in that department.  But the animation is surprisingly crude for whatever year that was released and it dulls the effectiveness.  The fact of the matter is that this should have been a live action movie.  There's clearly an attempt by the movie to become akin to the Goonies, the Monster Squad and films in that vein and it largely manages to be successful.  The writing and acting is fine, but it is REALLY hampered by the animation.  It's not even terrible animation, bit it is weak enough to do harm to the film.  I guess I also feel that the babysitter character disappears from the film and it feels like she was supposed to play a larger role.

I should re-watch my copy of that, it was my intro to Harmon and I remember loving it.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14527 on: November 03, 2014, 10:50:26 PM »
The dialogue would not feel out of place in Community and there is an interesting story, but yeah, it's flawed in a way that keeps it away from being great and leaves it at "Oh, that was alright."

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14528 on: November 03, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »
I like it a lot!

My into to Harmon was Heatvision and Jack. Which he has never topped.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14529 on: November 03, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »
I like it a lot!

My into to Harmon was Heatvision and Jack. Which he has never topped.

The relationships, humanity and 'understanding' of Community coupled with the humour makes it better for me.  Like Lookwell I think Heat Vision is a brilliant once off but, that's kind of all   
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14530 on: November 03, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Rewatched the Trouble With Harry last night.  This might rank in my top 10 favourite romantic movies and I love the fact that it takes a concept ripe for black comedy and makes it so humane, even if none of the characters behave like any sane person would.  Still, I love that almost everyone is states that they are acting out of self-interest, but they clearly care for each other so instantly that no one can be faulted for any real crimes.  It looks a little stagy compared to most Hitchcock films (to the point where it feels like it was based on a play rather than a novel.  Definitely a sweet little film and a nice deviation for Hitchcock despite covering familiar subject matter.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3551
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14531 on: November 04, 2014, 06:03:47 AM »
Rewatched the Trouble With Harry last night.  This might rank in my top 10 favourite romantic movies and I love the fact that it takes a concept ripe for black comedy and makes it so humane, even if none of the characters behave like any sane person would.  Still, I love that almost everyone is states that they are acting out of self-interest, but they clearly care for each other so instantly that no one can be faulted for any real crimes.  It looks a little stagy compared to most Hitchcock films (to the point where it feels like it was based on a play rather than a novel.  Definitely a sweet little film and a nice deviation for Hitchcock despite covering familiar subject matter.

And Shirley Maclaine is just adorable in it.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #14532 on: November 04, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »
Monkey Shines

I usually don't watch the How Did This Get Made episode subjects beforehand (or even after), but I was desperate for something Halloween-ish to watch on youtube that I can fall asleep through.  As you can imagine, not very good and didn't do a good job setting the monkey up as a viable threat.  There are a few stand-out so bad, it's good moments, but it's largely forgettable.  Not George Romero's best.

We were debating watching Monkey Shines because of How Did This Get Made, but I have the feeling that it wouldn't live up to the brilliant insanity of the podcast.

Also I have to say I enjoyed the first three Harry Potter books but stopped reading the fourth one halfway through because I lost interest in the story. I feel the same about the movies. I could not tell you what happened in the last several movies, it's all one big blur to me.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Ben

« Reply #14533 on: November 04, 2014, 11:42:42 AM »
SNOWPIERCER. Great flick. We need more movies that are genuinely pissed off and have a bone to pick with the state of the world.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:44:40 AM by Ben »

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #14534 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:48 PM »
Trouble Every Day (2001, Claire Denis) is a film about the desire to transgress. The vampire's desire to penetrate the skin is a grisly but fitting metaphor for Denis' camera, marked by its sensuality, its tactile desire to break through the image and actually touch its contents. There's an overwhelming primal urgency, a visceral carnality, trembling underneath the surface for most of the film, but twice unleashed in all its terrifying glory. Beatrice Dalle, wide-eyed, mouth contorted, speaking in grunts and moans, oozing this savage animal magnetism that she cannot contain, gives an incredible physical performance, among the most erotic and grotesque creations ever to appear on screen. Biting and clawing her way through the skin, she is like an expression of pure, no holds barred jouissance, contrasting with Vincent Gallo's relatively tame vampire, able to compartmentalize his own irrationality. This film is deeply disturbing, not only for what it shows, but because its tender, violent close-ups arouse our own desire for transgression and repel us at the same time.

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1967, David Swift) is an amusing musical-comedy with a deliciously 1960s look and feel and an exaggerated "critique" of the corporate environment. It's also spectacularly, gleefully sexist, so much so that it's hard not to ogle at its sheer audacity in portraying women in the office as ripe for the picking. It's a satire, sure, but it's a very light satire that really celebrates its subject, marvels at it more than criticizes it. Officially, as the cringe-inducing song goes, a secretary is not a toy, but the show's lack of bitterness, the softness of its critique, and its blindness to the systematic plights of women suggests otherwise and that makes it difficult to appreciate this as the entertainment it wants to be without suffering a guilty conscience.

The Gold Rush (1925, Charles Chaplin) finds that perfect balance of humor and pathos, that is to say of humor in pathos, for much of the comedy here comes at the expense of Chaplin's meek, impoverished, hungry and even lovelorn tramp. Not all of it -- in fact, one of the funniest moments is found right at the beginning, where documentary footage of dangerous looking expeditions through snowy wilderness sets up the Tramp's introduction, walking obliviously with his club-footed gait across a very phony-looking mountain pass, where the sheer artifice of the set becomes an almost postmodern self-parody -- but most of the humor derives from humiliating himself, in other words playing the clown, like the celebrated Chaplin-eats-his-shoe scene or the painfully funny sequence in which he joyously rips apart all the pillows and does somersaults in the fluff without realizing the girl he thinks he has a date with is still watching. Beyond the gags, the narrative never overstays its welcome, knowing just how long to hold a sequence before switching gears and introducing a new character, and Chaplin's mimetic performance is utterly perfect. This may not have the emotional swell that carries us away at the finale of City Lights, but this reconstructed version, which restores the spirit of the original 1925 cut, feels flawless and endearing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:05:35 PM by Charles Foster Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.