Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582521 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14430 on: October 19, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
X-Men: Days of Future Past

I wouldn't say I was as impressed as some people, but this was a very solid outing.  I wish it delved into humour a bit more, because when they did, they were very solid.  Still, the film works very well due to the great cast (did I hear this would be the last Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie?  It's a good way to go, if a bit anti-climactic for the character in terms of action) and defying expectations on more than one occasion.  I did have to suspend my disbelief a bit in terms of how Magneto could control the Sentinels (the idea is sound, but they're portrayal isn't 100 percent consistent but the climax is really good.  However, the film never tops the scene with Quicksilver (er, I mean, Peter) which is so fun and impressive that the rest of the film, while good, is a bit of a let down.  Still, I recommend it and if this is the way the franchise is going, I'm looking forward to the next film and Deadpool.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14431 on: October 19, 2014, 01:21:56 PM »
My wife and I watched "her" on that cable television that all the kids talk about these days... I missed it in the theatres but I was very intrigued by the idea of it.

I found it very moving, and thought provoking. Stephen Hawking says that the invention of A.I. may well mean the end of humanity, as it evolves rapidly toward the logical conclusion that we are an insipid, inefficient, self destructive species, and that may well be true. But this movie shows another side.

He likes to parrot the Isaac Asimov quote/story, "Man creates the Ultimate Thinking Computer and he asks it, 'Is there a god?' and the computer responds, "There is now!" And, a lightning bolt keeps folks from pulling the plug... and it gets scary from there...

But, maybe the AI falls in love with us, maybe human compassion and expression also lives in that collection of algorithms and subroutines that were in fact created by compassionate humans... so... there is that... And then there is the 3000 year old question that philosophers have been arguing over for 4000 years, "What is consciousness?". (yes, for a thousand years the question wasn't clear so they argued over something similar, only until the Greeks did they have a proper framing of the question, so that's why the discrepancy, there...)

I mean, I am inclined to agree with Hawking, but this movie showed me something really interesting and beautiful. I was enchanted by the twisted love story of human and AI... fascinating. Nothing much really happens throughout the film, except the emotional roller coaster of romance, blah, blah, but the ending is really powerful and subtly spiritual.

Good filmmaking and another powerful performance by the mentally unstable but excellent actor, Joaquin (however you spell his retarded name) Phoenix.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14432 on: October 19, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
I think you are thinking of Fredric Brown's Answer

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14433 on: October 19, 2014, 01:32:57 PM »
Was that Fredric Brown? Yes, of course. Thanks for correcting me there... As you get older it all runs together, LOL, at least I was in the same wheel-house! HAHA!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14434 on: October 19, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
Let's Scare Jessica to Death

Watched this on Netflix recently and was rather impressed.  The title is a bit misleading (to me anyway) as it makes it sound like a film about people trying to scare a woman to death.  Its actually a much smarter and creepier film than that.  A woman (named Jessica) suffering from an unnamed mental condition (though it is never said, it seems akin to schizophrenia and while I can't vouch for its accuracy, it does seem to be a more thoughtful and sympathetic portrayal than in most films) and she occasionally hears voices.  The voices rarely tell her to do things but prey upon her and reflect her fears and insecurities.  After leaving her institution, her and her hippy husband and brother buy a farm out in the country and find a squatter living in it, whom they befriend.

However, Jessica starts to see things that she knows are happening but knows that other people will interpret as madness.  Is she losing it?  Is something more sinister going on?  Or is one leading to the other...  It is clearly a cheaply made film, but it makes up for it in tension and slow burn scares that are well earned this film's approach to scares is exactly what I want in a movie, using the quiet and the dark in just the right way.  The film also takes an unusual turn that feels like it shouldn't work but somehow does completely, without betraying the feel of the film.  The very last scene is a bit of a letdown (I like that there are a lot of unanswered questions, but after such a huge build-up it feels small in a way that almost works, but not quite) but overall, I recommend it.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cX4eZD3GiL0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cX4eZD3GiL0</a>
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:44:21 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14435 on: October 19, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
Was that Fredric Brown? Yes, of course. Thanks for correcting me there... As you get older it all runs together, LOL, at least I was in the same wheel-house! HAHA!

I recall because it's one of those stories that's burnt into my mind as a young teen. Along with Reunion by Arthur C. Clarke. My English teacher assigned the best reading.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14436 on: October 19, 2014, 07:00:38 PM »
Dead Silence - Overall I liked it. Mostly because it had great atmosphere and production design. Ultimately it's a ghost story, so the vent figures are more an affectation of the ghost than actually do anything. This certainly doesn't turn into Child's Play or anything, with ventriloquist dummy's running around killing people. This is actually a more serious movie than that. The cop was a total caricature, and completely unnecessary. And the ending reveal in the last minute was stuuuupid.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #14437 on: October 19, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
Dead Silence is one of my most favorite guilty pleasure movies. I shouldn't love it as much as I do, but I just can't help it.

We just watched the Blair Witch Project, and I guess it was maybe groundbreaking? In that it started the whole found footage craze? But as a movie it was not very good. It reminded me of Marble Hornets in that it was people running away from a supernatural being that was hunting them; it also reminded me of Marble Hornets in that it had an interesting premise and if they'd shortened it a lot it would have been more effective, but it dragged on way too long and kind of started to feel stupid. I just kept waiting for something to actually happen but other than seeing a guy's bloody tooth (I think?) wrapped up in a piece of his flannel shirt, nothing really happened.

Also this is why I go to campgrounds and don't camp in the middle of actual woods.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:17:38 PM by wurwolf »
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14438 on: October 20, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »
Watched Pet Semetary last night.  Mostly, it is not terribly good.  There are good elements to it but there's also a lot of silliness, including at least three counts of a character crying "NOOOOOOOOOO!" after something bad happens.  Wow, it's hard to imagine doing that unironically.  The acting isn't terribly good either and there's a lot of silliness.  Still, despite that, I can see why it was so successful.  Herman Munster himself is actually pretty good as the kind-hearted neighbor with a dark secret (he does play up the accent a little strong, but I think it works).  Despite the rest of what Mary Lambert's career might tell you, the direction is perfectly competent for the most part (and there are a few genuine moments of suspense), and screenplay isn't so bad (though it feels like Denise Crosby's story doesn't pay off quite right, as her tragic back story doesn't) but it just doesn't all work.  Like I said, Lambert doesn't do a bad job for the most part, but while there are a couple of creepy visuals, there's a pile of silly looking ones (but maybe I'm being easy on her since she seems like a cool person in her Trailers from Hell videos).

This is one of those movies I would like to see remade, since for a film that seems to tap into subject matter that should make us uneasy, it does feel rather bloodless.  Metaphorically.  Though it does cut away more than I expected from the violence.  Usually, I respect such restraint, but it does take away the impact of both a child dying in such a horrible way and the child doing hideous things.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14439 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:49 PM »
And it gave us this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F3J0iwwsq-w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F3J0iwwsq-w</a>

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14440 on: October 20, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »
Separate Tables - A largely forgotten movie from the late 50s, though it won a couple of Oscars and has a pretty great cast - Burt Lancaster, David Niven, Deborah Kerr and Rita Hayworth. It's set in an old English hotel - The kind that usually has permenant residents, and there are two main stories running through the movie (the movie is based on two one act plays that have been combined).

Lancaster is a drunk who nearly murdered his ex wife, who shows up at the hotel to win him back. Niven is a retired army major who gets in trouble with the law and tries to hide the news story from the other residents...

We really enjoyed the movie - It's pretty bleak though.
FINE

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14441 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »
And it gave us this

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/F3J0iwwsq-w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/F3J0iwwsq-w</a>

It really was worth it.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14442 on: October 21, 2014, 04:29:59 AM »
Watched Pet Semetary last night.  Mostly, it is not terribly good.  There are good elements to it but there's also a lot of silliness, including at least three counts of a character crying "NOOOOOOOOOO!" after something bad happens.  Wow, it's hard to imagine doing that unironically.  The acting isn't terribly good either and there's a lot of silliness.  Still, despite that, I can see why it was so successful.  Herman Munster himself is actually pretty good as the kind-hearted neighbor with a dark secret (he does play up the accent a little strong, but I think it works).  Despite the rest of what Mary Lambert's career might tell you, the direction is perfectly competent for the most part (and there are a few genuine moments of suspense), and screenplay isn't so bad (though it feels like Denise Crosby's story doesn't pay off quite right, as her tragic back story doesn't) but it just doesn't all work.  Like I said, Lambert doesn't do a bad job for the most part, but while there are a couple of creepy visuals, there's a pile of silly looking ones (but maybe I'm being easy on her since she seems like a cool person in her Trailers from Hell videos).

This is one of those movies I would like to see remade, since for a film that seems to tap into subject matter that should make us uneasy, it does feel rather bloodless.  Metaphorically.  Though it does cut away more than I expected from the violence.  Usually, I respect such restraint, but it does take away the impact of both a child dying in such a horrible way and the child doing hideous things.

In his book, "Danse Macabre" Stephen King said he would never sell "Pet Semetary" for a movie. He said it was too personal. Like losing his own son.

Well, as we can see... this did not happen as he would have hoped.

Although his son, Joe Hill, is a good writer. I like "Horns".

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14443 on: October 21, 2014, 10:20:40 AM »

In his book, "Danse Macabre" Stephen King said he would never sell "Pet Semetary" for a movie. He said it was too personal. Like losing his own son.

Well, as we can see... this did not happen as he would have hoped.

Although his son, Joe Hill, is a good writer. I like "Horns".

Joe Hill gets a lifetime pass for Locke and Key, but by the sound of things he's a good enough writer everywhere else that he doesn't need said pass anyway.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14444 on: October 21, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
I also liked "Heart Shaped Box". Apparently that has been optioned for a movie. But it is in turn-around... It has been sitting on some-bodies' desk for several years.