Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523060 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14385 on: October 14, 2014, 08:41:18 AM »
I thought Darth's review of Leprechaun Origins could be unintentionally funny but had to stop reading at "shakey cam"

I don't get any part of this statement.

I find grumpy 'ol Darth's reviews of movies funny but that term is so stupid it makes me immediately give up on reading or listening to any review.   
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 392
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14386 on: October 14, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »
I thought Darth's review of Leprechaun Origins could be unintentionally funny but had to stop reading at "shakey cam"

I don't get any part of this statement.

I find grumpy 'ol Darth's reviews of movies funny but that term is so stupid it makes me immediately give up on reading or listening to any review.

You mean the term used to describe a shaky camera?
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4308
« Reply #14387 on: October 14, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »
I wouldn't consider Darth grumpy, just brutally honest.  He does seem to list the movies good qualities if it has them.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #14388 on: October 14, 2014, 08:47:21 AM »
It does make me wonder, why call it Leprechaun at all when it has nothing to do with leprechauns?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4964
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14389 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »
Wait, so the Leprechaun in the new Leprechaun isn't a leprechaun?  Is there an origin, beyond the origin of me being confused about the new Leprechaun?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14390 on: October 14, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
I do get kind of annoyed that Shakey Cam has come to mean horrible handheld camera work, when it used to mean the rig that Sam Raimi and his team created for the demon POV shots in Evil Dead.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14391 on: October 14, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
I do get kind of annoyed that Shakey Cam has come to mean horrible handheld camera work, when it used to mean the rig that Sam Raimi and his team created for the demon POV shots in Evil Dead.

Except it's come to mean ANY handheld camera work depending on the age/disposition of the reviewer, see any Paul Greengrass review in the last decade or so.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14392 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »
Wait, so the Leprechaun in the new Leprechaun isn't a leprechaun?  Is there an origin, beyond the origin of me being confused about the new Leprechaun?
In the movie's version of mythology, it's a creature called (in modern English) a Leprechaun. They don't give it an "origin" other than the main character finds a book about Irish folklore. And they show an old timey woodcut picture of it (looking very much like Gollum) with a big pot of gold. And again, this creature has no supernatural powers, isn't human or elflike in any way, doesn't wear clothes, and is grey colored.

I wouldn't consider Darth grumpy, just brutally honest.  He does seem to list the movies good qualities if it has them.
Thanks. I went into this movie figuring it would be bad, but at least entertainingly bad. Nope! I was dissapointed, which is why I sound a little grumpy in the review.

Except it's come to mean ANY handheld camera work depending on the age/disposition of the reviewer, see any Paul Greengrass review in the last decade or so.
In this movie, the camera moves around in most shots for no reason, enough to make it distracting at best. Often making it more difficult to recognize things at worst. All in shots that are not POV. That is what I call "shaky cam". It is unnecessary, and annoying as hell.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #14393 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
So the only connection to the previous films is that it kills people who steal its money?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14394 on: October 14, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
If they really wanted to create a movie as a vehicle for a dwarf wrestler, I'd rather see the biopic of El Torito.

RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14395 on: October 14, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
So the only connection to the previous films is that it kills people who steal its money?
Not even that.  The villagers had stolen it's gold, and they have some sort of deal with the creature. They trap visitors for it to feed on, so it doesn't eat the villagers. It's very uclear as to the how and why, or the creature's motivation.
Plus it certainly doesn't look like the villagers are rich from having a huge pot of gold.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14396 on: October 14, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Horror flicks that are made to be entertainingly bad generally are terrible. B movies are quite fun when they take themselves seriously, and if I recall, this movie was kind of made to be a "bad" horror flick.

Also, screw that noise, The Venture Bros is hilarious.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #14397 on: October 14, 2014, 04:37:02 PM »
Horror flicks that are made to be entertainingly bad generally are terrible. B movies are quite fun when they take themselves seriously, and if I recall, this movie was kind of made to be a "bad" horror flick.

The previous ones were meant to be campy, though I'm not sure about this one.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14398 on: October 14, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »
Edge of Tomorrow - It's been a while since I've watched a movie I enjoyed so much only to have the ending flatten the whole thing. What a shame.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14399 on: October 14, 2014, 06:21:23 PM »

The previous ones were meant to be campy, though I'm not sure about this one.
The original Leprechaun movies were pretty campy. This one takes itself very seriously. Although even if it hadn't, it still wouldn't have been fun.