Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583884 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14370 on: October 12, 2014, 05:03:50 PM »
Monsters University & Despicable Me 2, eh, both were ok.

I like Monster's University much more than I thought I would. It's a pretty fun movie.

I didn't like Despicable Me, so I didn't bother with the sequel.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14371 on: October 12, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

While I thought it was okay, it's one of the only movies I've ever seen where a prequel would significantly IMPROVE it. Get him away from those damn little girls and being a proper supervillain the whole time.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14372 on: October 12, 2014, 05:12:37 PM »
Gone Girl, I liked it quite a lot. Dark Comedy always tickles me.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14373 on: October 12, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »
Boogie Nights - I haddn't seen it in years and I think I liked it better seeing it again. I like pretty much every other film he's made better so far.

Il sorpasso - An Italian comedy about a pushy but charismatic man who barges into another man's life and drags him out for a drive around the country in the early 1960s. This movie was incredibly funny and fun, but it also builds into a meaningful, smart film. I haven't stopped thinking about it since I watched it. One of the best Criterion releases of the year for sure!

Rififi - A French take on a noir film, a classic that I had never seen. I quite enjoyed it, though it reminded me more of a UK film, The Lavender Hill Mob than of the US films it was really going for. Not that it was a comedy, like TLHM was, but still, it had a similar feeling to me.

The Murderer Lives at Number 21 - A great comedy/mystery/thriller produced in Nazi-occupied France, directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot (director of The Wages of Fear and Diabolique, two fantastic films!). This film was surprisingly funny, it felt a lot like it could be part of The Thin Man series. A murderer is killing people and leaving a calling card. A chest full of the calling cards is thrown out of a boarding house, so the policae know it is one of the occupants of the house, but not who. Enjoyed this a lot.

Summer Interlude - An early Ingmar Bergman film, in fact considered the first film that is truley a Bergman film. A ballet dancer who is nearing the age ballet dancers are pretty much forced to retire, reflects on her youth and her first love. I just love Bergman films. As always it deals with mortality, lost youth, relationships and still manages to have humour and be a beautiful, easy to watch film. This one includes a kind of bizarre animated sequence, very unlike anything I've seen in any of him films before.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14374 on: October 12, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Monsters University & Despicable Me 2, eh, both were ok.

I like Monster's University much more than I thought I would. It's a pretty fun movie.

I turned it off midway when it began to reek of cliches.  Megamind was much, much better.

I assume you mean Despicable Me? I think we pushed through to the end, though I remember very little of the film now.

Never saw Megamind.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14375 on: October 12, 2014, 07:45:23 PM »
Never saw Megamind.
Even if you didn't like Despicable Me, definitely check out Megamind. It's really good. And much more a superhero movie than anything else, just told from the villain's POV.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14376 on: October 13, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
I think Despicable Me and Megamind are feeble attempts at what Venture Bros has already accomplished.  A complex and satiric look at villainy, henching, and failure.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14377 on: October 13, 2014, 08:43:31 AM »
I think both are great but I'd pick Despicable Me 1 & 2 over Megamind.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14378 on: October 13, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
I think Despicable Me and Megamind are feeble attempts at what Venture Bros has already accomplished.  A complex and satiric look at villainy, henching, and failure.

Gonna agree with this assessment. I found both films to be moderately amusing, but nothing special. The sort of stuff I'm done with by the time I hit the parking lot.

Of course, I still went back to see Despicable Me 2, but that's just because of the crippling compulsion I have to see all major releases.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14379 on: October 13, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »
Leprechaun Origins - WOW! I had heard this movie was bad, but daaaaamn does it fail on every regard.
  Shakey cam is a big pet peeve of mine, and it plagues this movie. At times it looks like the worst type of found footage movie.
  The creature itself is barely seen, and has no magical or human characteristics. They could have called it anything, there is nothing recognizably "leprechaun"-ish to it. There's no performance to speak of, the creature is just a generic growling monster.
Since they hired a wrestler, I was very glad it was a silent performance. But there is no reason it had to be any "recognizable name" actor in particular, just a suit actor, since he's unrecognizable under the full body suit.
  I often complain about monster POV being poor. But holy shit, this Leprechaun has the worst vision! Even worse than the camera, which goes out of focus most of the time the creature is on screen. The suit itself doesn't seem to look bad. Yet they hide it in so much camera movement and out of focus blurring you'd have thought they were trying to hide papier mache.
  As I said, the monster has no magical properties. And is dispatched surprisingly easily with one machete chop to the head. Making you wonder why the villagers WHO HAVE GUNS couldn't handle this thing.
  Even when the movie isn't out of focus or shaky, the cinematography manages to make Ireland, the most beautiful and lush green place I have ever seen, look grey and drab.
  The movie only has four main characters, which we know literally nothing about. Except that the main girl wants to be a historian. And she might as well have FINAL GIRL tatooed on her forehead. In fact, the only character who gets any development whatsoever is the son of the main villager, who is conflicted about what they have to do to sacrifice outsiders to keep the monster at bay.
  The pre-credit scene is hilarious, as they are aggreesively trying to cram in as many opening sequence clich├ęs as possible.
  The best I can say is that the gore effects are decent. Although with such a low body count, there isn't that much to spread around.
  And while this movie is only about 80 minutes sans credits, it still feels very long. It actually gets to the monster chasing our main characters relatively quickly. Which would be a good thing except that the entire rest of the movie is just them going between three different locations several times. Hell, we never actually see the cave that is talked about at the beginning, where apparently this thing came from. And it's implied they had a mine that uncovered it, which started the whole situation with the town. We don't even know exactly what the deal the villagers have with it. Since it feeds on the people the villagers trap for it, yet it still wants gold.
  I don't think this movie is even worth riffing. It quickly becomes very repetitive. Plus the creature has no personality to latch onto, nor do any of the main victims.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14380 on: October 14, 2014, 07:28:24 AM »
I don't think being a wrestler automatically makes them a bad performer, quite the opposite in fact. I haven't seen this movie, and don't plan to, because it looks horrible, but I don't think hiring WWE superstars is a bad idea in general. The Rock is a pretty good actor, and Dave Bautista did a damned fine job as Drax. I'm trying to think of other wrestlers I've seen, and the only one is Triple H in Blade, and he was fantastic. I think you got some weird prejudice :P

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14381 on: October 14, 2014, 07:34:14 AM »
Hulk Hogan did more to destroy the credibility of wrestlers in movies than anything.

Roddy Piper made a few crappy movies, but one classic in They Live.

Andre the Giant might not have been a great actor in Princess Bride, but it worked.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

BiteMe316

« Reply #14382 on: October 14, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
Hulk Hogan did more to destroy the credibility of wrestlers in movies than anything.

Roddy Piper made a few crappy movies, but one classic in They Live.

Andre the Giant might not have been a great actor in Princess Bride, but it worked.

I completely agree with you about Hogan.  Stone Cold was OK in "The Condemned".  Jessie "The Body" Ventura was the same in "Predator".

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14383 on: October 14, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
I thought Darth's review of Leprechaun Origins could be unintentionally funny but had to stop reading at "shakey cam"

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14384 on: October 14, 2014, 08:32:08 AM »
I thought Darth's review of Leprechaun Origins could be unintentionally funny but had to stop reading at "shakey cam"

I don't get any part of this statement.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!