Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586539 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14295 on: September 08, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »
I was about to post that video!  The song is also used in the end credits for Hobo with a Shotgun.

And that's Cyril Sneer. Watch some of "The Raccoons." Or don't. You're probably better off not. Bert always came off as a jerk who didn't deserve his spotlight. Alvin too, while we're on the topic of anthropomorphic '80s Saturday morning cartoon stars. :^)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4c7m-EhQhFU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4c7m-EhQhFU</a>

I do have a soft spot for aspects of that show, but yeah, I never liked Bert.  The 3 pigs were kind of fun.  Plus, the faux-Cyndi Lauper end theme song.

I never knew the show aired in the states though.  It also had a weird special before the show became a show where the Raccoons were actually freedom fighters against the tyranny of Cyril Sneer.  On another planet.  It was weird, though certainly more interesting.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14296 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:25 AM »
I like movies where my characters are larger than life and DO things instead of just being average guys who live dull lives, or worse, pathetic people who just exist and have bad shit happen.  That's no story.

I think this is the best definition for mumblecore that I've seen....but I still like mumblecore.

Is that stuff like What's his face? Wes Watson? Darjeeling Limited guy?

Mumblecore is usually about a 20 or 30 something who is a loser, refuses to grow up, and nothing really happens.  The Duplass brothers are usually credited with it.  So movies like The Puffy Chair, Jeff Who Lives At Home, Frances Ha.  Girls is like a mumblecore TV show.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14297 on: September 08, 2014, 11:58:01 AM »
That was Lars and the Real Girl.

Jeff Who Lives At Home was Jason Segel and Ed Helms. Jason Segel is obsessed with the movie Signs.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14298 on: September 08, 2014, 02:16:16 PM »

Jeff Who Lives At Home was Jason Segel and Ed Helms. Jason Segel is obsessed with the movie Signs.
In the movie, or was that a tangent about Jason Segel?

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14299 on: September 10, 2014, 12:28:21 AM »

In the movie, or was that a tangent about Jason Segel?
I wondered the same thing

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14300 on: September 10, 2014, 09:14:26 PM »
I'm very late, but Guardians of the Galaxy was AWESOME. Groot is literally the cutest thing ever conceived. Even when he's beating people to death, he's adorable. <3

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14301 on: September 10, 2014, 09:15:35 PM »
I'm very late, but Guardians of the Galaxy was AWESOME. Groot is literally the cutest thing ever conceived. Even when he's beating people to death, he's adorable. <3

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, which is why I thought the dancing baby Groot was totally unnecessary.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14302 on: September 10, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »

Yeah, my thoughts exactly, which is why I thought the dancing baby Groot was totally unnecessary.
Yeah, that was a weird little scene. And why does he stop dancing when Drax looks over?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14303 on: September 10, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »

Yeah, that was a weird little scene. And why does he stop dancing when Drax looks over?
I thought baby Groot dancing was adorable as hell. You guys don't know cute for cuteness sake when you see it. :P

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14304 on: September 10, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
It was to make another 80s reference. Seems reasonable to me.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14305 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:33 AM »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14306 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:04 AM »
It was to make another 80s reference.
?

Did you block them out? Every store with a space for useless crap had a shelf full of plastic flowers in pots, usually wearing sunglasses and holding a saxaphone or something, that would dance back and forth when you played music.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14307 on: September 11, 2014, 08:05:55 AM »
?

Did you block them out? Every store with a space for useless crap had a shelf full of plastic flowers in pots, usually wearing sunglasses and holding a saxaphone or something, that would dance back and forth when you played music.
Oh THOSE things. Yeah, I remember those. I thought it was the fact he stopped when Drax looked over.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14308 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
Monuments Men

It has a great cast and a fun premise, but it is a surprisingly lifeless movie (with a few good scenes).  It's a shame such a charismatic group of actors is given so little to do and it feels like a film from the 80's due to it's use of music that is largely cheesy by today's standards.  The film is also disappointingly free of tension, even in the scenes where I must assume that tension was intended.  It does make me want to read a book of the true story, but this film feels more like a checklist of interesting occurrences (though I'm not sure which ones were made for the film) that lacks a heart or stronger exploration of the central theme to keep it held together.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14309 on: September 11, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
?

Oh THOSE things. Yeah, I remember those. I thought it was the fact he stopped when Drax looked over.

Sorry, I shoulda put a quote in there - I was replying to Quirk.
FINE