login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581530 times)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14250 on: September 06, 2014, 08:48:31 AM »
The One I Love starring Elizabeth Moss (Peggy from Mad Men) and Mark Duplass (Pete from The League).  I was initially drawn to this movie because I really like the two leads and the reviews were good.  I didn't dig much deeper than that before renting it on Vudu.  The movie was nothing like I expected it would be, in the best possible sense.  There's really no way to talk about it without spoiling the shit out of it, but I LOVED it.  Highly recommend it and the less you know going in, the better IMO.  It's available on all the major streaming services.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5176
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14251 on: September 06, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »
House 2: The Second Story

That wasn't good.  I wasn't really expecting it to be, though.  I wanted to relax for an evening and have something playing that I didn't have to pay too much attention to (I was tired and also was playing with my tablet).  Still, I was hoping for a bit more charm from this lame film that really suffers from not being a Joe Dante movie no matter how hard it tries.  Part of the big problem is the irritating best friend comic relief that so many of these post-Dante/Landis films insisted on who aren't very amusing.  John Ratzenberger does have an amusing small part as a swashbuckling electrician but he moves in and out of the film too fast and beyond the fun premise, he isn't given very much to do.  And while I consider myself to have a high tolerance for cute, this really overdoes it with the "cute monsters".  I don't need to tell you that you are better off seeing the original House.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5ouvkZzJ-Nc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5ouvkZzJ-Nc</a>

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14252 on: September 06, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
It is far inferior to the first House, no doubt about it!

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #14253 on: September 06, 2014, 11:31:33 AM »
God Help the Girl - ridiculously twee and sadly kind of boring.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14254 on: September 06, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »
The Avengers, I was actually meant to watch the rifftrax but I hadn't watched it since it was in theatres so I watched it straight instead. Still really enjoyed it. I'm also firmly in the 'we need a a black widow movie' camp and a Hulk one.

The body count for this film must be quite insane. They sort of try and make it look kind of low, but the NY destruction is quite intense. I noticed at least 1 building collapses entirely but you never see the outcome of it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:55:50 PM by BathTub »

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14255 on: September 06, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
The Avengers, I was actuallyI'd love eant to watch the rifftrax but I hadn't watched it since it was in theatres so I watched it straight instead. Still really enjoyed it. I'm also firmly in the 'we need a a black widow movie' and a Hulk one.

YES! And before Avenger I don't think I ever would have wanted to see a Black Widow or Hawkeye movie. But now I'd love one.

I too want to see another Hulk movie. I loved the 2008 movie, and I'd really like to see Tim Blake Nelson back as The Leader.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14256 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:34 PM »
I guess I'm the only person who's seen the Avengers who thought it was basically completely average, laden with a lot of Stupid Shit (TM).

No your not. The super hero money grab is really starting to get old.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14257 on: September 06, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
They are blending together.  That's why Guardians of the Galaxy is nice that it's different.  And we should get a Deadpool movie about now!

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #14258 on: September 06, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »
They're definitely building up to the Infinity Gauntlet storyline (or their version of it).

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14259 on: September 06, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
They're definitely building up to the Infinity Gauntlet storyline (or their version of it).
I am looking forward to that. I am hoping they really do Death as a character, that he is in love with.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14260 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:30 PM »
I just want to see a super hero movie where the studio/director actually take some risks and make something unique.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14261 on: September 06, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
The only downside to building up to the Infinity Gauntlet is that so many of these movies are McGuffin chases. We have, what, three of them identified so far?

http://screenrant.com/infinity-stones-gauntlet-marvel-movies/

The Cube is the Space Gem
The Space Kool-Aid from Thor 2 is the Reality Gem
The Orb from Guardians of the Galaxy is the Power Gem

I'm not sure I really buy that the one in Loki's staff is the Mind Gem, because it apparently came from Thanos. And I seriously doubt he is going to just hand an Infinity Gem over to an assistant.

But that means we have at least two (maybe 3) more McGuffin chasing movies to establish the other Gems. And even more with Thanos actually getting them one at a time.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14262 on: September 06, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
God Help the Girl - ridiculously twee and sadly kind of boring.

So is that a thumbs up or down?

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14263 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »
The Avengers is literally a high five celebrating its own existence, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14264 on: September 07, 2014, 05:46:30 AM »
I attempted to watch the second Hunger Games movie.  It was just as boring as the first one and I still found the characters to be dull and uninteresting.  I gave up just after they tried to up the tension by using a fucking acid cloud instead of actual combat or something interesting.  When they found out they could heal themselves using water it made the scene pretty much pointless.  I thought to myself, you know what movie, if you have stopped trying then I can too.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.