Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586574 times)

Soguru

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14235 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
I honestly can't fathom why anyone would want to watch this.
Same reason most people see anything that's acclaimed and associated with labels like "Sundance Film festival" or "Tribeca film festival", etc.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14236 on: September 02, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
People see those movies?  Arent they huge snore fests where people kiss each others asses about how artsy they are?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Soguru

« Reply #14237 on: September 02, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
People see those movies?  Arent they huge snore fests where people kiss each others asses about how artsy they are?
I always thought they were movies about Cowboys eating pudding.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14238 on: September 02, 2014, 07:07:30 PM »
I like blockbusters and such,  but I get so much more satisfaction out of these types of movies.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14239 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
I always thought they were movies about Cowboys eating pudding.

brb, writing award winning indie film

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14240 on: September 02, 2014, 08:26:58 PM »
Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie - This was...disappointing. I've been a big fan of the Nerd reviews for years now, so I love the character. And they definitely keep that, which is the real saving grace for the movie. But as a whole I don't think it holds together. More of the humor works than falls flat, fortunately. But the biggest problem is that the movie doesn't feel consistent. Largely with it's effects. This is a pretty epic movie. And you can tell in most of it that they had a decent budget (for an independent movie made by the likes of internet video producers). They have several relatively large sets, extras (sometimes lots of them), wardrobe, costumes, vehicles, TANKS, hired actors, location shooting, good cameras, clearly done by a whole crew of people. All that is impressive and makes it look like a real movie. And then they will have impressive kaiju sets, but being destroyed by a guy in a REALLY cheap looking suit. There are a lot of hilarious (on purpose) shots of clearly small toys for some of the effects shots. Separately they would have their own charm or feel, but not when spliced back to back with each other. Pick a style! And then there are plenty really atrocious digital effects (mostly green screen) that look worse than most That Guy With The Glasses producers when they were just getting started.
  For those who are wondering, there is an E.T. review in this. I won't spoil it, except to say that I didn't think it was that impressive. Not only shorter than most of his reviews, but it just felt tacked on, like he felt he had to do it. Spoony's review of E.T. is much much better.
  I'm glad I saw it. It's not bad, really. And it's very impressive that he was able to go from making internet videos in his basement to making a fully produced theatrical movie. But I don't imagine I'll bother seeing it again.

Soguru

« Reply #14241 on: September 02, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »
Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie - This was...disappointing. I've been a big fan of the Nerd reviews for years now, so I love the character. And they definitely keep that, which is the real saving grace for the movie. But as a whole I don't think it holds together.
I'm really sad to hear this. :( I was really scared for a long time that it was going to be disappointing. On the other hand, now that my expectations are lowered, maybe when I see it, it'll be awesome.

I just watched Flash Gordon(1980) for the hundredth time. When something has such an impact on your childhood, your first, gut instinct is to staunchly and unwaveringly defend something despite numerous, obvious flaws. I still think it's a wonderful movie, but that's mostly due to an amazing supporting cast, and one of the best damn soundtracks by Queen, one of the greatest musical acts in all of human history. Otherwise, the story is meh, the leads are awful, some ideas/effects are poorly realized and executed, but despite that it's still an exciting and genuinely very entertaining film.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:38:17 PM by Soguru »

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14242 on: September 03, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »
Angry Video Game Nerd: The Movie - This was...disappointing. I've been a big fan of the Nerd reviews for years now, so I love the character. And they definitely keep that, which is the real saving grace for the movie. But as a whole I don't think it holds together.
I'm really sad to hear this. :( I was really scared for a long time that it was going to be disappointing. On the other hand, now that my expectations are lowered, maybe when I see it, it'll be awesome.

I wasn't expecting more than fan service and maybe a few laughs.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14243 on: September 03, 2014, 08:26:48 AM »
I like blockbusters and such,  but I get so much more satisfaction out of these types of movies.

I think it has to do with Northrop Frye's modes.  I like stuff in the Heroic Mode (aliens and lasers, superheroes, magic swords, etc.--people who are larger than life and do amazing things).  Most fiction since about 1600 has been what he calls "High Mimetic"; that is, everyday people from everyday life.  The problem with this as a storytelling milieu is that the only way you can have a story is by doing something really fucking horrible to them.  So that's why most "literature" nowadays is basically just about taking "real" protagonists and then killing off their loved ones and wallowing in their grief or something. 

I just don't really find "regular" people very interesting, and I certainly don't want to live through their tragedies.  Regular life is tragic enough without having to invent more of it.

Most studios think that fiction requires having a "regular" person.  They're too worried the audience will feel alienated if there's not a "normal".  Typically, it doesn't matter how bizarre a story is, it will have a "normal" to ground it.  The problem with that, is that you have to have a catalyst to get that person out of their boring environment, and it's usually something tragic (Luke's aunt and uncle die, Peter Quill's mother dies, Frodo gets threatened by ringwraiths).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14244 on: September 03, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »

I wasn't expecting more than fan service and maybe a few laughs.

There is a lot of fanservice, often literally. In fact, one of the major themes in the movie is the Nerd's effect on his fans.
Oh, and he is just named Nerd, even in the credits.

But if you like his videos, the movie is worth watching.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:54:35 AM by Darth Geek »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14245 on: September 04, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »
Drive

I wouldn't quite say it lives up to its reputation, but it is a really solid, stylish thriller.  If Bronson was Nicholas Winding Refn's Stanley Kubrick movie, then this is his Michael Mann film (and it makes me want to see him do a John Carpenter-style film, since I feel elements of him in this, though don't ask me to articulate that).  My one major complaint is that the lead is built up as an amazing driver, but it doesn't really come into play as much as it should.  It feels like it should have been involved more in him in the climax (especially since the opening showed the kind of skills he had).  Cranston is fine as usual as the Paulie to Ryan Gosling's Rocky (though less scummy) but Albert Brooks kills it as a villain who never comes across as unreasonably or outright diabolical but someone who does savage acts and makes treacherous moves simply because he felt forced into the position to clean up some messes other people made.  Also, the soundtrack is fantastic.

It makes me want to see Only God Forgives, a poorly received film that still looks fascinating (and has its defenders).

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #14246 on: September 04, 2014, 05:46:35 PM »

It makes me want to see Only God Forgives, a poorly received film that still looks fascinating (and has its defenders).

Yea, I love that movie. The symbolism is fantastic.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14247 on: September 04, 2014, 07:42:28 PM »
Blood Glacier - A German monster movie about a team in the Austrian Alps studying glaciers that get attacked by mutating animals. It boasts fully practical effects, which are really really well done. It was also filmed on location so the cinematography is breathtaking. But between the absolutely atrocious English dub and the movie otherwise being very derivative of The Thing and a few others, I can't recommend it. It also didn't help that the sound kept cutting out oddly, but I'm not sure if that's something specific to the movie or more likely something off with Netflix at the time.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14248 on: September 05, 2014, 09:28:46 AM »
Joan Rivers: A Piece Of Work

Great documentary about Joan Rivers.

Particle Fever

So/so documentary about the hunt for the Higgs Boson.  At times it felt too much like those lame things they show during the Olympics when they attempt to show people the local culture.  Most interesting part to me was how the media affected the work, someone should do a documentary on how that is becoming true for science in general.  Great line in the movie about how hard it would have been if Edison had a room full of reporters watching him try to invent the first light bulb...

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #14249 on: September 05, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
So it was more Higgs Borin'?