login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585035 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14220 on: August 31, 2014, 09:56:04 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14221 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:50 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about.
It's iRiff related. Who would have guessed, right?

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14222 on: August 31, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »
I think, everyone is jumping on Imrahil's bandwagon, cuz he's got a big fancy edumacation and fellowships and whatnot, even I am often swayed by his bullying ways, even as I have gone out of my way to be nice to him. Still he slaps me around like a two dollar whore.

But, I must protest that Frank Miller's art in "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Sin city" was crude. I thought so as well, upon first inspection, but I often thought Jack Kirby's comic work was crude. Until I examined it further. I then realized the form and power in the heavy inking was quite revolutionary.

Close examination made me a fan of his, (and Kirby's) art. You may quake and stutter at his heavy-handed writing style, but I defend my love of scantily clad Ninja Hookers.

And underlying an apparent misogyny, there were stories of a Knight errant defending his one true love, men who abuse women getting just desserts; there was a simple romantic tale at the heart of all of the over-the-top violence.

Also, I love anything with Batman in it... Also, Dracula....

That is all.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Soguru

« Reply #14223 on: August 31, 2014, 11:12:12 PM »
I don't slap you around.  Also, it seemed like lots of people liked Sin City.
Even though I kind of liked Tombstone... did I say Tombstone as in Tombstone from the Spider-man comics? I'm sorry, I meant Marv. Anyway, Even though I like Tombst-- MARV, the art style, cinematography and story-telling style of Sin City (and ADTKF) just grated on me. It's novel and interesting for the first 10 minutes, then you just find yourself asking "Why?" for every other "artistic" decision for a film that wants so bad to be pretentious on an artistic level yet still appealing to the baser instincts of the viewer. Please anyone tell me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:24:58 PM by Soguru »

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14224 on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:38 AM »
I don't slap you around.  Also, it seemed like lots of people liked Sin City.  Careful though or Scott will get mad that we've mentioned it again.

Have you read Batman vs. Dracula? It was sort of entertaining.  Gotham by Gaslight was much better though.

Of course! I also own the animated movie, "Batman vs Dracula" by Paul Dini's company. It was great work. "Red Rain" was a great comic in that "vein" if you pardon the pun. And they weren't just "sort of" entertaining... They rule the free world! OK? Mr, big-shot, walkin' around with fancy degrees and stuffs...

And you have slapped me around a bit, although, there were times I certainly deserved it.

This might be one of those times...

LOL! I'm kidding you! I kid because I love!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14225 on: September 01, 2014, 08:00:41 AM »
Upstream Color

Shane Curruth's second film (about a parasite that robs people of their mental resistance) is a visual improvement over Primer, but I have mixed opinions on it.  It's a quieter movie, but while it is a beautiful looking film, the characters are not as engaging.  Now, I think this film isn't a character piece as much as it is an exploration of a process, but while the director does a good job establishing how these characters connect, I simply had not many stake in them save for sympathy and a desire to see some justice done to the film's (almost abstract) villains.  Still, I really do recommend it.  People expecting the complexity (in terms of narrative structure) will find that this one is actually rather easy to follow, using a more of a visual language than the relatively talky Primer.  There's so much in this film that would have fallen flat it described in exposition but works beautifully in this film (there is talking, but it is usually used as implications of emotions and feelings where the specifics of the words seem secondary to the implications of the emotions and intentions behind them.

Soguru

« Reply #14226 on: September 01, 2014, 10:37:12 PM »
I went to see Calvary earlier today. I must say that it was quite the experience. It was a pretty joyless film and yet it was excellent in how it made me feel so much for this poor Catholic Priest who has one week until he's killed by someone who as a child was raped by another catholic priest. Okay, some things don't exactly make sense, like why don't you call the police, why not go out of town, why give him seven days when you can just kill him now, and so on.

But between the unending stream of vitriolic hate for the priest and the church in general and this poor guy's superficial efforts to help people sort themselves out between God, it was actually a good movie. I obviously don't think much of religion as of late, and I'm of the school of thought that religion makes atheists out of people, but dammit somehow this movie really made me care about a man of the cloth and his fearless approach to the situation at hand. His faith is being challenged left and right but he doesn't care, he runs headlong into the danger, remaining faithful....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I don't know if it was just the overall tone of the film and the complete apathy on display by everyone he talks to, but I will never forget this unbelievably tragic set of events in this film that doesn't seem too far from the realm of reality.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14227 on: September 01, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
As soon as I saw an ad for Calvary it jumped to number 1 on my want to see list. It didn't much distribution locally so having to wait for it hit rental.

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14228 on: September 01, 2014, 11:52:03 PM »
Inappropriate comment modified
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:04:42 AM by Edward J Grug III »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2652
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14229 on: September 01, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
Randy, do you understand where you are?
FINE

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2652
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14230 on: September 02, 2014, 12:16:30 AM »
I've decided to edit your post away again, Randy.

If the things you wrote in there were true, I'm very sorry, but I'm not sure why you think it's appropriate to post something like that.

That's two warnings in a matter of hours.

I have to ask you to please think before you post.
FINE

Offline RandyMistie

• Hello!
« Reply #14231 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:49 AM »
I'm sorry I thought I was just going with the flow... I can lose proportion, you know this about me. My sense of humour can get dark. And creepy. I am very ashamed of myself... and I apologize.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14232 on: September 02, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
I went to see Calvary earlier today. I must say that it was quite the experience. It was a pretty joyless film and yet it was excellent in how it made me feel so much for this poor Catholic Priest who has one week until he's killed by someone who as a child was raped by another catholic priest. Okay, some things don't exactly make sense, like why don't you call the police, why not go out of town, why give him seven days when you can just kill him now, and so on.

But between the unending stream of vitriolic hate for the priest and the church in general and this poor guy's superficial efforts to help people sort themselves out between God, it was actually a good movie. I obviously don't think much of religion as of late, and I'm of the school of thought that religion makes atheists out of people, but dammit somehow this movie really made me care about a man of the cloth and his fearless approach to the situation at hand. His faith is being challenged left and right but he doesn't care, he runs headlong into the danger, remaining faithful....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I don't know if it was just the overall tone of the film and the complete apathy on display by everyone he talks to, but I will never forget this unbelievably tragic set of events in this film that doesn't seem too far from the realm of reality.

I also saw this the other day.  It was surprisingly good.  Brendan Gleeson does an amazing job.  It is a fantastic look into why people keep their faith, but not at all preachy.

I heard this compared with High Noon.  I think that is very spot on.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14233 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
I honestly can't fathom why anyone would want to watch this.

I wouldn't expect you to.  It's certainly not your cup of tea.

BiteMe316

« Reply #14234 on: September 02, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
I honestly can't fathom why anyone would want to watch this.

I feel that way about a lot of movies these days.  :P