Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1527111 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14175 on: August 22, 2014, 11:03:08 PM »
Naw, Sin City is an unironically good movie. It's not for everyone, but if you're willing to climb on board the hyper-stylized, neo-noir, ultra-violent train, there's a legitimately good movie in there.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14176 on: August 23, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
The original Sin City has 78% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's pretty well respected. I loved it.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14177 on: August 23, 2014, 09:28:02 AM »
I really enjoyed the first Sin City, and kinda liked the new one (Just saw it yesterday). Kinda flat and it relied too much on Marv's character (without explaining the timeline, so all of this takes place after Hartigan dies, but before Marv gets electrocuted? or does the electric chair just not affect Marv?).
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14178 on: August 23, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
I think it all takes place after That Yellow Bastard, but before the one where Marv gets electrocuted.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14179 on: August 23, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »
I think it all takes place after That Yellow Bastard, but before the one where Marv gets electrocuted.

If I understand the chronology correctly, Marv's electrocution is the last event in the Sin City timeline, while everything in That Yellow Bastard is among the first.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 123
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #14180 on: August 23, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »
Loved it myself, Sin City still rocking with the hard boiled craziness, fun stuff! Love the comics too. The original stories for the movie are very cool too.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14181 on: August 24, 2014, 01:22:34 AM »
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
It's pretty inoffensive...well, it's offensive, but not offensive to good cinema.  I didn't hate anything in it, but it just didn't rise to the caliber of the original.  Nothing new.  Nothing innovative.  At least, If you'd like to see more of Eva Green, this movie is for you. 

I did like seeing Eva Green reunited with Christopher Meloni after seeing them together in White Bird in a Blizzard.  They are both fantastic in that movie.  See it when it comes out in October.

The general consensus of reviews seem to be 'if only it had come out 2-3 years after the first one' but I loved it so I'll be seeing this either way.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4989
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14182 on: August 24, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »
Bronson

This might well be Tom Hardy's greatest performance.  Certainly, his most magnetic (and it is easy to see why he was cast as Bane after this) and completely kinetic and exciting.  The film is sort of like a weird mix of A Clockwork Orange, Cool Hand Luke and Danny Boyle (there's a bit of Terry Gilliam in there too) that tells the story of Charlie Bronson, the most violent prisoner in England and someone who cannot be reasoned with.  Well, that's not entirely true.  You can talk to him, like him and even get to know him.  But don't think for a second that there is an easy way to deal with him.  He refuses to be dealt with and no matter what options he's given or what talents he has (and we discover he has some amazing ones) all he wants is to beat and be beaten.  It is a fascinating portrait of a character who is both complicated and VERY simple.

If you liked Drive, I highly recommend that you check this out.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14183 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »
I loved Sin City. It was a balls to the wall, man's movie. I mean, who doesn't like Ninja Hookers? Cannibal Frodo?

Also, I read the Graphic Novel and was so impressed with how the movie was almost frame for frame a perfect adaptation... however, I have to agree with the critics that said, "it didn't need a sequel... more of the same..."

Eh.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14184 on: August 24, 2014, 08:17:35 AM »
Imrahil, your "Big Bang Theory" analogy struck home, because my wife and I have tried to watch that show several times and we both said the same thing. It's written by guys who are not nerds or geeks, and it is acted by actors who never met any of us nerds or geeks. They act like caricatures of what they THINK we should be like.

I would say that the first "Sin City" was a guilty pleasure, and I will defend my enjoyment of Frank Miller because of his re-invigorating of Batman...

But, I must agree, he is not a great writer; he who bottled some lightening with, "The Dark Knight Returns".
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #14185 on: August 24, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
I thought it was incredibly dumb. In the sense of, "It was written by someone stupid."  It was only vaguely aware of actual noir conventions in the same way that Big Bang Theory is aware of nerd things without actually understanding them.

Plus uber-violence is amusing, but only if you're a 13-year-old sociopath.

I agree. I always got the feeling that people said it was noir because it was in (mostly) black and white. Nothing else about it screamed noir to me.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14186 on: August 24, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
Plus uber-violence is amusing, but only if you're a 13-year-old sociopath.

::)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:21:15 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #14187 on: August 25, 2014, 09:29:37 AM »
Sin City is noir exaggerated to the point of parody, and done so by someone who only knows the genre from Tracer Bullet comics. Which is fine for the first one, since it's still a very fun movie that actually holds up. The violence matches the ridiculous aesthetics, and all the players involved do a great job of making it all seem viable in a weirdly pulpy way. Plus the visual style of that movie did (and still does) look remarkably cool.

Having seen A Dame To Kill For, though, I can say that the magic was not repeated. This new one isn't so much more of the same, which would've been fine, it's an attempt at more of the same that just comes off as rather cheap and, more noticeably, dull. The movie just isn't all that fun, which really kills everything.. Most of the stories don't really land (and having Marv just randomly show up in all of them gets old pretty quick). The only one I really liked was Joseph Gordon-Levitt's gambler plot, and that's partly because JGP's material feels the strongest and partly because they got Christopher Lloyd as a meth-addicted doctor, which works as well as one might expect. Too many actors are wasted, either in minuscule parts or just because they don't seem to put any effort in (Bruce Willis manages to do both, although I will say this movie had a much better use of Disapproving Ghosts than Amazing Spider-Man 2 did). That wonderful visual style doesn't even sink in as well, with everything seeming less well done, lighter, thinner, and generally cheaper than before. This is a problem that all Rodriguez films post Planet Terror seem to have, though; there's a filmmaker who's really lost any sense of depth. I hope he gets it back, but his recent track record isn't doing him any favors.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:36:32 AM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #14188 on: August 25, 2014, 10:05:02 AM »
Sin City is noir exaggerated to the point of parody, and done so by someone who only knows the genre from Tracer Bullet comics.

I don't know what Tracer Bullet comics are, but I agree with your first notion 100%.

One of the many personalities from Calvin and Hobbes:

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4989
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14189 on: August 25, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
Dang, I was about to post the damned same comic.

But yes, Sin City is pretty damned ridiculous, but I feel that it has a consistent tone throughout and makes for a fun ride.  Shame that the sequel is apparently is. to it's determent, more of the same.  But in a way, that could be applied to Frank Miller in general (only add the words "but worse and more sexist/racist" at the end).

Room 237

A great documentary about 5 people's different views on the meaning of The Shining (the movie, not the book).  They range from reasonable and insightful (It's about Americans wiping out the Indians, it is about the nature of history and sin) to ludicrous (evidence that Stanlet Kubrick faked the filming of the moon landing.  And this man believes that man landed on the moon, but the film of it was faked).  Still, the film doesn't pass judgment (except in some really subtle ways, in my opinion), allowing the people to state their cases about the meaning of the film and about the effect that it had on them.  Though it is about the Shining, you don't need to see it to get a lot out of it, as it is also about what people get out of film, artist intent (some of the people even state that their interpretation might not be Kubrick's intent but it is still valid), what people connect with or notice (or insist on noticing even though it is clearly wrong) and the experience of watching.  Definitely worth your time.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rHE5YUNkssQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rHE5YUNkssQ</a>