login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1541600 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14160 on: August 20, 2014, 10:40:45 AM »
The One I Love

This is one that I missed at Sundance, but really wanted to catch up with.  I don't want to say too much about the plot of this movie., but I will say that I loved it.  It's about a couple (Mark Duplass and Elisabeth Moss) who are experiencing marital problems. Mark Duplass just continues to attach himself to amazing projects.  If you liked Your Sister's Sister or Safety Not Guaranteed or anything else Duplass has done, then you'll like this.

I can't stand Mark Duplass on The League, but he was much more likeable in Tammy. It makes me want to check out his other movies, and I really hope I get to see this one.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #14161 on: August 20, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
I liked him in Safety Not Guaranteed.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3551
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14162 on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
Jeff, Who Lives At Home and Cyrus were both surprisingly great movies (directed by Mark Duplass).

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2615
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14163 on: August 20, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
I generally like Duplas too, and want to check this out.

Hump Day is a pretty great film too.
FINE

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #14164 on: August 21, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »
Those Red Letter Media fellas hated Jeff He Who Lives at Home.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14165 on: August 21, 2014, 08:44:55 AM »
I like the new title that makes it sound like a monster from a 50's Marvel comic.

"JEFF, HE WHO LIVES AT HOME!"

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Some friends were going to see it, so I did too. I had a friend who wanted to see it knowing full well it would be bad, but I think the call of nostalgia was too strong for the poor guy.  About as bad as I was expecting.  Not super-awful, just rather bad.  Hell of a crime to have Will Arnett and not have him be funny.  Also, everything seems like a pale shadow of a good superhero movie, in that the jokes feel like poorly written and/or performed versions of actual funny jokes rather than simply bad jokes.  Like someone saw jokes in the Avengers but didn't have the talent to make it work.  Same with the superhero set pieces and the attempts at trying to make the heroes seem iconic, only to have everything feel so tin-eared or beyond derivative to the point that it feels like parody.  But, yeah, obviously not good.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14166 on: August 21, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
Those Red Letter Media fellas hated Jeff He Who Lives at Home.

They hate a lot of movies,

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #14167 on: August 21, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
That's true, they do, although inexplicably Mike liked the new TMNT movie.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #14168 on: August 21, 2014, 10:39:46 AM »
No shit...

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14169 on: August 21, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
The Unknown Known

This is a good one. Errol Morris takes on one of the most controversial public figures of the past century: Donald Rumsfeld. The first part of the movie gives you a glimpse at Rumsfeld, the man. He's very smart. He's eloquent. He's a likable guy. And then slowly, Morris pulls back the layers to reveal the dark side...the fact that you can't trust this person. Despite that, it's actually fair to him. He is the only person interviewed for the movie. He defends his decisions and actions. For me, they don't hold up. But I do appreciate him agreeing to be interviewed. Because it is fascinating.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #14170 on: August 21, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »
Bad Words

Jason Bateman stars and directs his own black comedy... a black comedy with a heart of gold.... or at worst a black comedy that kinda sorta wants to be liked. Maybe this one is a dark gray comedy? Whether or not folks enjoy a dark / black comedy is always very highly subjective, so I'll just say this would be a worthy rental for fans of Bateman. Some good snappy / snarky dialog provides a decent amount of laughs, even if the plot if thin and contrived with more than a few gags that miss the mark.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3551
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14171 on: August 22, 2014, 12:53:15 PM »
Sin City: A Dame To Kill For
It's pretty inoffensive...well, it's offensive, but not offensive to good cinema.  I didn't hate anything in it, but it just didn't rise to the caliber of the original.  Nothing new.  Nothing innovative.  At least, If you'd like to see more of Eva Green, this movie is for you. 

I did like seeing Eva Green reunited with Christopher Meloni after seeing them together in White Bird in a Blizzard.  They are both fantastic in that movie.  See it when it comes out in October.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14172 on: August 22, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
Also saw Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

Pretty much the same impression Kete has. Not quite as good as the first, since some of the novelty is gone, but a highly enjoyable experience.

And yeah, Eva Green is pretty thouroughly on display, and plays a pretty decent femme fatale.

Soguru

« Reply #14173 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
Also saw Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.

Pretty much the same impression Kete has. Not quite as good as the first, since some of the novelty is gone, but a highly enjoyable experience.

And yeah, Eva Green is pretty thouroughly on display, and plays a pretty decent femme fatale.
I thought it was really pretty bad. I mean the Josh Brolin character? He gets facial reconstruction(looks Exactly like he did before btw), puts some more hair on his head and he expects nobody to recognize him?! I recognized him like... instantly. What were they thinking?! That was so laughably bad I couldn't believe it.

And that whole thing with the Joseph Gordon Levitt character was so poorly realized, I just didn't get it. It was just a pretty hollow and confusing experience for me. That's just me though. I guess Miller and Rodriguez were expecting us to be distracted by the sex and Eva Green's gratuitous boobage.

Still, it was way better than The Spirit, but that's a pretty low bar.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14174 on: August 22, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »
I'm as surprised as you are, actually. It's completely the opposite of the type of movie I usually enjoy, but there's something about it that makes it enjoyable to me. It goes so far over the top, it flirts with parody, without ever quite crossing that line.