Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540147 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14025 on: July 02, 2014, 01:50:05 AM »
Is Quiet Man the movie where an old woman hands him a stick to beat his wife with?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2612
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14026 on: July 02, 2014, 02:54:05 AM »
Is Quiet Man the movie where an old woman hands him a stick to beat his wife with?

One and the same.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14027 on: July 02, 2014, 02:58:05 AM »

One and the same.

Sounds pretty funny/riffable. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14028 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:23 AM »

One and the same.

It's actually a pretty solid comedy, and a pretty well regarded one too.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14029 on: July 02, 2014, 03:08:33 AM »

One and the same.

It's actually a pretty solid comedy, and a pretty well regarded one too.

I tend to think they should do more 'classic' movies
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14030 on: July 03, 2014, 02:03:25 AM »
Oblivion

Or Damn, Tom Cruise has no right to look that good.

A gorgeous film, but a fairly shallow one overall. I think they tip the true nature of the Scavengers a little early, but at least they do have a couple reveals coming later. OK, but not great.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14031 on: July 03, 2014, 02:34:10 PM »
The Kings of Summer

It isn't a perfect movie, but it is a VERY good one.  It's funny, because certain elements seem like checklist points for coming of age comedies.  Kid imagines crazy stuff.  Check.  Weird, wacky friend?  Check.  Driven nuts by his home life?  Check.  And there are a few others that slip my mind.  And in terms of tone it can be in very different places.  But it works in spite of or because of it.

The film is about some teenagers who get sick of their home lives and decide to run away for the Summer and build a house in the middle of the woods.  The comedy is very solid (in no small part to Nick Offerman, who is hilarious as the lead character's jerky dad and an awesome young actor named Moises Arias).

So basically, I think there is a lot of notable cliches and on-the-nose stuff in the film that I could understand people seeing as off-putting (the fantasy sequences don't really add much to the film), but I still recommend checking it out (I have a feeling it could be a much rewatched movie for a lot of teenagers these days).

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14032 on: July 03, 2014, 06:26:25 PM »
I can't recall a movie in recent memory I've liked less than that movie, it really annoyed me but I still can't pin down why.
Scottotd on Instagram

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14033 on: July 03, 2014, 06:28:05 PM »
Now that the boy is older and I have a lot more internet time/brain power, I should drop the monthly round ups and start posting as I watch them.

The last couple were:

Kon-Tiki - (English version) Starts slow and heavy-handedly with lots of exposition in the dialogue that feels fairly clunky. The bulk of the movie is a pretty excellent adventure film. In the end I enjoyed watching it, but it also felt a bit empty.

Persona - I have become a big Ingmar Bergman fan since starting collecting Criterion films. I never expected that would be the case, but it's true. This is the most experimental of his films that I've seen so far and it was really compelling. An actress suddenly decides to stop talking. There's nothing wrong with her physically or mentally as far as anyone can tell, she just stops. A nurse takes her to country to recuperate and starts opening up tot he actress, telling her all her secrets. Wonderful film. I wouldn't recommend it as anyone's first Bergman, but it's really worth watching!

Storm in a Teacup - A 1937 comedy film. An English reporter comes to a small Scottish town and falls in love with the daughter of the town's provost, who he then writes a very embarrassing story about. It feels like an Ealing comedy (The Ladykillers etc) with a good script, great one-liners and some fun performances, especially by Rex Harrison in his first starring role, and yet I felt the directing was maybe not quite there. Or perhaps it was just rushed and nobody cared? Anyway, I think it potentially could have been a classic, but was instead just a fun movie.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14034 on: July 03, 2014, 06:33:46 PM »
I can't recall a movie in recent memory I've liked less than that movie, it really annoyed me but I still can't pin down why.

I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard nothing but praise.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14035 on: July 03, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »

Neither had I before I saw it.
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14036 on: July 04, 2014, 07:03:34 AM »

Neither had I before I saw it.

Well, like I said, I enjoyed it, but I could see a lot of it as twee.  I feel it managed to overcome it (or embrace it in a way that works) and it has some strong character moments, but it's not hard for me to see someone not having patience for it (in the sense of "I don't have time for this twee bullcrap" rather than "it's slow and boring").

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14037 on: July 04, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
Eat The Rich

WTF was that? Seriously expect better from something with the Comic Strip Presents crew. When you see Rik Mayall, Robbie Coltrane, Dawn French, and so on as the cast, Lemmy as a soviet agent? you expect something better. This was one of worse made films I have seen in quite a while, and I watched Swamp of Ravens two weeks ago. The sound levels were terrible, plenty of lines I couldn't make out. Particularly Nosher Powell, unfortunately the DVD had no subtitles so I couldn't get help there.

I wasn't familiar with Nosher Powell before, but I would swear the character of Brick Top was based on him, I thought they were the same guy at first.

I have no idea why I rented this one, I must have thought it was something else.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14038 on: July 04, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
Identify Thief

Eh. Stupid and waaaaay to long. Should have been 30 minutes shorter. You probably could have removed the bounty hunter thread completely.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14039 on: July 05, 2014, 07:14:33 AM »
Snowpiercer

Easily in the top 5 of the year for me so far, just brilliant.
Scottotd on Instagram