Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536561 times)

Soguru

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13995 on: June 20, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
Dr Who the made for tv movie. Ugghhhh... awful.
At least it's in keeping with the TV series then...
I don't know about that. The movie had this whole sickening quality where its charm was replaced with long pointless periods without the Doctor and uninspiring companions and equally uninspired story telling. It became a boring and unfulfilling turd of a tv movie. Eric Roberts as the master??? Really???

Soguru

« Reply #13996 on: June 20, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
I don't know about that. The movie had this whole sickening quality where its charm was replaced with long pointless periods without the Doctor and uninspiring companions and equally uninspired story telling. It became a boring and unfulfilling turd of a tv movie. Eric Roberts as the master??? Really???

Exactly. I mean, it could've had aliens who fart a lot instead. THAT was genius storytelling.
to be fair I hated the first season of the new Doctor Who series, no really I did. is there any wonder why they didn't bring back the Slitheen until the Sarah Jane Adventures?

I think it's only fair to say that season 6 was the pinnacle of the great storytelling displayed by the new Doctor Who series. Angels weep and demons run when a good man goes to war...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:25:05 PM by Soguru »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5081
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13997 on: June 22, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
V/H/S 2

A half good horror anthology.  Personally, I'd recommend skipping the first two shorts.

Tape 49
This is the framing device, and it is pretty good for most, but the ending is a bit of a disappointment.  It's funny how so many movies can scare me by setting mood, but when it comes time for the pay-off scare, it gets disappointing.  This is definitely the case with this one, which starts off really scary and then doesn't quite live up to its mood.  Basically, two detectives start hunting for a missing kid and start looking for clues in a video tape collection, not realizing there's someone else in the house.  Good set up (especially letting the audience know someone is there but not letting the characters.

Phase I Clinical Trials

This is probably the weakest one.  Between this and the ABCs of Death, I just think Adam Wingard isn't a very good filmmaker (maybe I'd like them more if he didn't put himself in the films.  I don't know what he's really like, but he seems to present himself as a bit of a douche).  Anyway, a man gets a mechanical eye implant and finds that his perception of reality is changing.  Good set up, but it just turns out he can see ghosts and they are dangerous.  It's not really clever and like the framing device, a promising set up falls into being kind of lame.

A Ride in the Park

A man is turned into a zombie, and the rest is a story told from the zombie's POV.  There are a few good moments, but it is a rather lame overall story and adds very little to the overstuffed zombie cannon (a true crime).

Safe Haven

Things pick up in a BIG way with this story, directed by Gareth Evans of The Raid: Redemption fame.  Though there are couple things I didn't care for, this is definitely the best and most original story, in which a documentary crew in the Phillipines is given access to a cult leader for a day while they deal with some personal issues, that dove tail in an nasty way.  There is a big sense of unease throughout, but it works because there are a couple genuine laughs (a funny/scary scene in which a crewmember goes off to get a battery for the camera and the cameraman awkwardly tries to carry on a conversation with a zealot) and a sense that once the horror starts, it won't let up.  I was disappointed that there were some
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I like the twist at the end too,  Not mind-bending, but a nice surprise.
Definitely a winner.  Looking forward to see Gareth Evans next film.  I think he and Gareth Edwards are going to constantly confused for each other now.

Slumber Party Alien Abduction

The second best film, easy.  And probably the first in suspense.  This one doesn't have the great narrative like the previous one but extremely suspenseful and creepy.  Teenager kids involved in a prank war that crosses the line gets interrupted by the sudden appearance of aliens.  Very tense and cool.  A much more different story from the director of Hobo with a Shotgun.

I hear a third one is made.  Hopefully, the films will be more like the latter two.

The ABCs of Death

26 (very) short films by 26 directors from around the world, each who picked a letter of the alphabet and made a film that deals with death and a word with the letter they picked, many of which are horror stories and 75% of which just aren't good.  The shorts I did like were A (I was unsure about it when it started, but I liked it by the end), B (not perfect, but a stylish EC style "just desserts" story), D (very stylish short film in slo-mo, though it felt more like a good proof of concept film), O (which is more of an art instillation piece), R (the best piece that has a David Cronenberg feel), and Y (which is visually the best film and really feel more like a weird music video).  Interestingly the director of Y also did the terrifying Alien Abduction Slumber Party story in VHS 2 and Hobo With a Shotgun.  Looking forward to his next film (hopefully it will put Atlantic Canada on the filmmaking map).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13998 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:27 AM »
I thought it was a generally decent film, the Jesus and Buddha stuff is a wee bit naff but must have seemed really far out when Bixby wrote it in the 60s.

It's been done as a play at least once, never seen that but I can totally see it working.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13999 on: June 24, 2014, 04:07:40 AM »

Exactly. I mean, it could've had aliens who fart a lot instead. THAT was genius storytelling.
to be fair I hated the first season of the new Doctor Who series, no really I did. is there any wonder why they didn't bring back the Slitheen until the Sarah Jane Adventures?

I think it's only fair to say that season 6 was the pinnacle of the great storytelling displayed by the new Doctor Who series. Angels weep and demons run when a good man goes to war...

I basically ignore Eccleston and most of the Rose stuff that Tennant made the best of. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #14000 on: June 24, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »
Little Shop of Horrors. . . the Director's Cut

That last bit is important because I downloaded this movie quite some time ago (and possibly while in an impaired state), and didn't get around to watching it until tonight. In the meantime, I'd FORGOTTEN which version this was.

So I settled in for a fun, b-movie horror homage with a sweet mo-town soundtrack featuring chorus girls who have an AMAZING wardrobe for three teenage girls living in the slums. I think that I'm watching the theatrical version, which I've seen many times and am quite familiar with. . . and I don't know how to describe the feeling. It's one thing to see that ending for the first time when you're EXPECTING it, but when it takes you by surprise, it'd be like watching Star Wars and having Luke's shot at the end MISS or something.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14001 on: June 24, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
The Raid 2

At first (after the awesome pre-credit sequence) I was a little put off by the plot but once it got going I think I like it more than the original, just brutal and amazing.   The camera work and editing is so visually stimulating and kinetic I can't wait to see what Evens does next.   
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #14002 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

BOOOOOOOOOO-urns
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:51:23 AM by Space version 2.0 »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14003 on: June 25, 2014, 11:16:21 PM »
The Raid 2

At first (after the awesome pre-credit sequence) I was a little put off by the plot but once it got going I think I like it more than the original, just brutal and amazing.   The camera work and editing is so visually stimulating and kinetic I can't wait to see what Evens does next.   

I cannot wait to see this.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #14004 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:04 PM »
The Raid 2

I cannot wait to see this.

It's veeeeeeeery good
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #14005 on: June 26, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »
The Stepford Wives (1975)

NOTE: I hope everybody knows the premise here, but if you don't, then spoilers ahoy...

I won't argue that this movie deserves it's cult status. Even if the movie itself isn't that good, it's a case of being greater than the sum of it's parts. Even by 1970s standards, the pace can be snail like at times... Katharine Ross isn't really much of an actress... and between the soft focus and most of the EZ listening soundtrack... it had me nodding off a times and I watched it in the middle of the day. But still, it delivers enough to be memorable. It's been a day and I'm finding myself reciting some of the lines of the robot wives... I'll just DIE if I don't get that recipe... I'll just DIE if I don't get that recipe... I'll just DIE if I don't get that recipe.

The conclusion seems a bit rushed based on the slow burn leading up to it, but the last 20-30 minutes deliver most of the truly iconic parts of the movie. One Stepford Wife memorably malfunctioning after taking a carving knife in the gut... along with the typical 70s downer at the very end. It hasn't aged terribly gracefully and younger people with no real recollection of the late 60s/early 70s woman's lib movement may be left scratching their heads at times... But this is something that would be worth seeing at least once. The movie can be very eerily effective in fits and spurts.   

How could you do a thing like that? How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee. When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends!

EDIT: Also I think I found a MST3K reference connection. At the beginning of Mitchell, when Jon Saxon and the other guy are entertaining the hot ladies... one of them says "What does he think I am, an acrobat?" ... which leads to the riff "... and she's an acrobat, Ted!". I believe this is a reference to Stepford Wives when one of the husbands says "She cooks as good as she looks, Ted."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:36:12 AM by Nunyerbiz »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14006 on: June 27, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
Enemy

First of all: WTF?
Second: its a pretty gorgeous film. The sepia filter fits rhe tone very well. Villeneuve really knows how to make movies look good. The cinematography reminds me of Deakins. I also quite looked the score.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14007 on: June 27, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »
The Bling Ring

Meh, pretty bland. Felt pretty shallow.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14008 on: June 27, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
Roommate was watching some anime on Netflix while grinding in Runescape. I mentioned that I wasn't in an anime room, but I would like to watch a movie. He replied that if I could find something better we could watch that. I pulled up Netflix on my phone and browsed about two seconds before saying "Why aren't we watching Goodburger?" He could not find a reason, so we watched it. Nickolodeon got away with SO many dirty jokes in those days... I miss them. :'(

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14009 on: June 29, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »
How to Train Your Dragon 2 - I liked it. It did feel a little long, though. And I don't think they really set up the nature of the Alpha Dragon well enough. At first it seemed like they were their own species of dragon, and the mind control was one of their mind powers. But when it could or couldn't control Toothless (and eventually the other dragons) seemed more base on plot than anything consistent. And at the end
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They really blew over the whole "she abandoned them for 20 years" thing really quickly.
I also got very frustrated with this being a kids movie after a while. Because I just wanted Hiccup to embrace being a damn Viking already and fucking JUST KILL THE BAD GUY!