Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1522589 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5616
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13980 on: June 07, 2014, 02:18:30 PM »
About half an hour into Mom and Dad Save the World, and it is painfully unfunny. An incredibly talented cast, but just given nothing actually funny to do or say. You can see they are  frustrated with it all, too. Hell, I think the similarity to the effects in MST3K: The Movie is the only actual laugh I got out of this.
EDIT: Finished it. Yeah, this is reeeeeeally bad. And not riffable bad, either, since it's a failed comedy. It's just uncomfortable bad, because all the actors and actresses you know can do so much better, but the material won't let them.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:05:02 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13981 on: June 08, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
So, Edge of Tomorrow was actually really good. I figured I'd enjoy it...there's almost always something redeeming in Tom Cruise's movies. But this was legitimately entertaining. Plot holes? Sure. But it's so much fun I honestly didn't mind. Loved Tom, loved Emily. Bill Paxton was pretty great too. Worth seeing in theatres in my opinion.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #13982 on: June 08, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
"Edge of Tomorrow" was quite enjoyable.  Makes up for the crappy Sci Fi film Cruise did last year.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13983 on: June 08, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
The Unnamable (1988) - I liked this. It boils down to being a 'bunch of horny teens in a spooky house' type movie. But the movie spends very little time outside the house, and it's suitable spooky. In fact, I would have liked to see this in better DVD or BluRay quality, as my copy is a bad bootleg from a VHS. So I am sure the cinematography is much better in the original film. The use of Lovecraft's mythos is just enough to make it stick out from other movies like this. And there is thankfully very little regular Christian or otherwise religious overtones to it. Even though it has a small cast, I didn't think it lacked for gore. And most importantly, there was a certain sense of dread throughout that a lot of similar movies simply never achieve. The monster at the end is well done, albeit more "gargoyle" than "unnamable". But I liked it. Especially given how bad H.P. Lovecraft movies usually are. I'd recommend it.

And surprise surprise, the bootleg I got actually has the sequel on it as well. I didn't even realize that.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 460
« Reply #13984 on: June 08, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
"Edge of Tomorrow" was quite enjoyable.  Makes up for the crappy Sci Fi film Cruise did last year.

I actually really like "Oblivion."

Anyway, really liked this movie too and I dare say is the best movie of the summer at this point.  Lots of good moments in this movie, calling it a mash-up of Groundhog Day and Starship Troopers is probably.... "fair" but only if you take the Starship Troopers parts as simply meaning "fighting aliens" and not the parody/fascism angle.

Some have likened it to being a really good video-game movie. Which I certainly see.  Not that the movie is based off any video game but the "feel" of the movie feels a lot like playing a video game, failing at a mission, playing it a different way, learning the specific steps, getting frustrated at some point and doing some world exploring, maybe getting a bit further on one try, not as far on another, etc.

The "video game movie" idea really fits the movie.

I'm not the hugest fan of Tom Cruise, in the past.But I think between this, Oblivion and even Jack Reacher I'm more and more "feeling" him as a leading man again.   I'd highly recommend this movie. I honestly cannot really think of a reason why someone wouldn't like it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13985 on: June 08, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I'd think that someone who doesn't like Tom Cruise would at least enjoy seeing him die a lot.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2595
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13986 on: June 08, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
Here's all of the movies I watched in May (in reverse order as always :P):

X-Men: Days of Future Past - I had fun with it, but am not sure much of it will stand up to second viewing. And it drags in places. Of course Quicksilver is amazing, and even though I know the reasons for it, it makes NO SENSE that they would leave him behind.

X-Men: First Class - The shine's off this one a little bit. Still fun, but, well, these days we've seen how great comic book movies can be.

Terror at Tenkiller - Yeowch. What a stinker. Fun riff.

Riot in Cell Block 11 - A rare dud from Criterion. It had a couple of nice moments, but on the whole, this prison riot movie spends too much time on its message, and very little time being entertaining. The story behind the creation of the movie is more interesting than the movie.

Johnny Guitar - We've been watching quite a few Westerns lately, and this was a great one. A woman has bought up a bunch of land where a train will eventually run, aiming to build a town around it and make a butt-load of money. Unfortunately the locals aren't so keen on the train coming through, let alone all of the people that will come with it. One woman in particular tries and eventually succeeds in convince the townsfolk to take action against her. Recommended.

The Swimmer - Burt Lancaster plays a man who shows up in the backyard of his friends' house unexpectedly. Everyone is very happy to see him, but he's there to swim int heir pool. He realizes there's a pool in every yard between here and his home, so he decides to 'swim' home. In each house he visits we learn a little more about his past. This movie is incredible and so unique. Highly recommended!

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - The first half of this was pretty good and inventive. The second half gets sappy and boring. A shame.

Cyborg Cop II - Pretty good riff.

Jules and Jim - This is a bit of an odd movie about two men who are in love with the same woman. The style of the movie is quite playful, jumping around, glossing over stuff with narrative. Kind of reminds me of Michael Gondry these days. But, it's also got a pretty misogynistic undertone that detracts from the movie a bit. Still on the whole, I enjoyed it.

The File on Thelma Jordon - This movie is very slow to get good, but when it does, it's tremendous. I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but it involves a woman getting involved with a married district attorney... Unfortunately the DA is a spineless worm and very hard to like or have empathy for. Even still, once the story gets rolling it is very clever and unique.

Foreign Correspondent - What a treat! A Hitchcock movie my wife and I hadn't seen before, and we LOVE Hitchcock. It's a super fun adventure, and it also has George Sanders in it, who is always a treat. The Criterion release is excellent, as is the feature on how the special effects were created.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Another movie featuring George Sanders. A widow moves into a house that is reportedly haunted, and starts a romance with a ghost. A classic romance movie.

Cloak and Dagger - This was much dryer than I thought it would be. And frankly, a bit confusing. But it wasn't too bad. It's a WW2 espionage film, with maybe too many twists and turns.

Muppets Most Wanted - Pretty much my favourite thing in the world is The Muppets, so I am really enjoying them returning to the big screen. I thought this movie was probably funnier and Muppet-ier than the last one, but I also thought it was a bit on the long side.

Ping Pong - A Japanese film about ping pong. Silly, but enjoyable.

Safety Last! - A fantastically funny film, it was our first introduction to Harold Lloyd. I think, based on this, I prefer him to Buster Keaton even (though Chaplin is still king)
FINE

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #13987 on: June 09, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »
Well, Tom is a very powerful member, (shall we say the Pope), of a sci-fi religion. I find it interesting that he is only taking sci-fi roles lately. And a story that includes a dude that dies and is reborn over and over again.... (an L Ron Hubbard favourite idea).

Also it was much better expressed in BSG with the Cylons.... "Why spend thousands even millions re-training new soldiers when you can just resurrect a soldier that learns from his past mistakes..." etc....

Well, he has pledged his life to Scientology for 9 Billion years, so....

However, he is only a coupla years younger than me and he is in great shape, rich as Misas, does all of his own stunts, so.... who am I to judge?

(I'm 50 this June 17th and feelin' every year of it....)
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13988 on: June 09, 2014, 04:55:31 AM »
I'd think that someone who doesn't like Tom Cruise would at least enjoy seeing him die a lot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #13989 on: June 19, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.  Really confusing & disorienting until about 2/3 of the way, when things start to fall into place. I didn't find the movie to be instantly gratifying, at least for the most part, but I thought it paid off and the ending was worth the wait. Still like Oldboy best out of the trilogy, but thought it was better than Sympathy of Mr Vengeance, which I still liked but wasn't overly enthusiastic about, although there are obvious similarities in the stories.

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #13990 on: June 19, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
Eraserhead - Hadn't seen this in about 10 years. I feel like I can appreciate it a lot more now. I plan on watching it a few times, or more, over the next few days, which is what I did the first time I saw it.

Soguru

« Reply #13991 on: June 19, 2014, 09:35:45 PM »
Dr Who the made for tv movie. Ugghhhh... awful.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2595
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13992 on: June 19, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »

At least it's in keeping with the TV series then...
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13993 on: June 19, 2014, 11:34:58 PM »

BOOOOOOOOOO!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13994 on: June 20, 2014, 12:03:15 AM »

Them's fightin' words, Tex.