login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526379 times)

Offline Nobody

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 617
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13935 on: May 18, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
Skyline

Stupid.  Fucking.  Movie.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13936 on: May 18, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »
Skyline

Stupid.  Fucking.  Movie.
It's like the directors only heard the APP:R complaints about no lighting, and they said "Oh yeah? We'll put lights on the monsters! " and then didn't change anything else.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13937 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:24 PM »
GODZILLA - It was pretty fucking cool. Godzilla himself was BADASS! And while I would have liked more of him in it, we see more of the MUTOs, which themselves were cool too.
  Brian Cranston was really good. But I would have rather his character and Ken Watanabe (who I also like) combined so we don't shift focus so suddenly. The main guy, Ford, is so boring he feels like Channing Tatum's understudy. Ugh.
  But I will give the movie a lot of credit for the military being handled a lot better than what we are used to in these kind of Michael Bay's shitfests. If anything, I was more supportive of their plans than Ken Watanabe's idiotic (and USELESS!) ramblings about "balance".

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 401
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #13938 on: May 20, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
Godzilla Raids Again

Actually, I didn't finish it, and doubt I will. I have no idea why any more Godzilla's were made after this. Very quickly, we are introduced to laughable science and ridiculous explanations of why these two monsters are wrestling, and any concern about the humans is shot. There's a couple who are going to be married soon. That's all we get as far as why we should care that the city's crumbling. I cared in the first movie. So we're left with two rubbery monsters flailing around models. Everything from the first movie that allowed you to take the suit seriously is gone. It's all just so dull. I get that people like campy fun, but it gets old immediately here... at least in my opinion.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13939 on: May 20, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
Started writing my monthly movie round up for April and forgot to come back and finish it. Here's what I watched all that time ago.

Bambi - Blu Ray looks incredible. We watched it in two sittings (even though it is fairly short, but most movies are watched in two sittings these days, with the baby) and we had to work up to getting back to it after we finished the first sitting exactly where Bambi's mother is shot. Still a wonderful movie.

In a World... - Pretty good, but not amazing. Quite watchable though.

Wreck-It Ralph - Love this movie! So perfectly executed.

Zatoichi the Fugitive - The fourth of the Zatoichi films. Found this one a little confusing to follow at times, but on the whole entertaining.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Not my favourite Anderson film, but I quite enjoyed it. It felt fairly similar to Fantastic Mr Fox in some ways. Interested to see it again in the future.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Wonderful film! And pairing a couple of hambones like Stewart and Wayne is very entertaining.

Shadows in Paradise - An older film directed by Aki Kaurismäki, a Finnish director who made Le Havre a couple of years ago, which my wife and I loved. This was fine, but not that exciting. Felt kind of like a Jim Jarmusch film, if that's your jam.

Dark Journey - Interesting English film about World War 1 from 1937, but also, nothing to write home about.

New Tale of Zatoichi - This was fantastically fun! Maybe my favourite Zatoichi so far. Kind of strangely structured film... Seems like a slice of life film.

Rebel Without a Cause - Saw it for the first time. I wonder what James Dean would have become had he lived?

Night of the Lepus - Pretty fun riff. Not my favourite, but one we'll return to, I'm sure.

To Be or Not To Be - (the 1942 version, not the Mel Brooks remake) This movie is fantastic. One of the greatest comedies ever made.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - The best Marvel Universe movie yet, IMO.

Fire Over England - A just OK historical drama. Very confusingly, almost all of the characters had an English accents no matter what nationality they were playing. Made it quite hard to follow some of the allegiances.

The Apartment - An incredible classic. An excellent performance by Jack Lemmon, though his character is so spineless, it's hard to feel sympathetic for him.
FINE

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13940 on: May 22, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »
Pain and Gain.

This movie is EXACTLY why I refuse to judge something based on the director's past work. Michael Bay may have made some trash, but this movie just WORKS, and it does a FANTASTIC job of portraying the perversion of the American Dream. I think everyone in it was perfectly cast, but I believe the best character was Dwayne Johnson's Paul Doyle. He really sold everything he did, and I loved it. Marky Mark made me LOATHE Lugo, he was the most disgusting character I've seen in a movie in a LONG time.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13941 on: May 22, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »
Under the Skin: So this movie, uh, well, hmm...

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #13942 on: May 22, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »
That's the same reaction Kete had.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #13943 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
It was a surreal experience to sit through, that's for sure. Which was further amplified by the fact that at my screening I was the only one in the theater watching it.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13944 on: May 22, 2014, 03:22:01 PM »
The Talented Mr. Ripley: Some how I managed to miss this, I was inspired to check it out after an interesting excerpt regarding the film in The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell (author of Extra Lives; an excellent read for gamers).

The story was exceptionally well written and acted and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.   

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #13945 on: May 22, 2014, 06:56:55 PM »
The Talented Mr. Ripley: Some how I managed to miss this, I was inspired to check it out after an interesting excerpt regarding the film in The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell (author of Extra Lives; an excellent read for gamers).

I love that actor, Mark Damon.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13946 on: May 22, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
X-Men: Days of Future Past

Wow. I mean, really. Wow. That's a goddamn impressive movie. It flows incredibly well. There are some plot holes to be sure (it's time travel after all), but I never really minded when I noticed them. The action is choreographed perfectly...we also get one of the best "fight" scenes I've ever seen. I was also pretty impressed with James Mcavoy's performance. He really did an awesome job playing the emotionally broken Charles.

I had a grin on my face the whole time, and it really is the best X-Men movie to date.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13947 on: May 23, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »

Wow. I mean, really. Wow. That's a goddamn impressive movie. It flows incredibly well. There are some plot holes to be sure (it's time travel after all), but I never really minded when I noticed them. The action is choreographed perfectly...we also get one of the best "fight" scenes I've ever seen. I was also pretty impressed with James Mcavoy's performance. He really did an awesome job playing the emotionally broken Charles.

I had a grin on my face the whole time, and it really is the best X-Men movie to date.
I've been hearing so many good things about this one. Looking forward to it. How much was Iceman in this movie? I squeeled like a 6 year old girl when I saw him all iced up and slinging on his ramps in the trailer!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #13948 on: May 23, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »

Yeah, this one was pretty solid. The future scenes felt a little weak to me, and I was constantly irritated with how digital/flat the movie looked (a friend told me afterward this might've been because the movie is actually meant to be seen in 3D over 2D, something which further bothers me), but by and large I had a good time with this one. The story never felt overly confusing or boring, all the character moments felt spot on, and it even got in some genuine pathos regarding destiny and "doing what's right". Also, Quicksilver and Blink stole the movie. Frankly, that there wasn't more of them is the biggest flaw of the proceedings (and Lassie's right about that "fight" scene. The other ones in the movie are neither here nor there, but that one scene... that's a keeper right there).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:39:16 AM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13949 on: May 23, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
The Amazing Spiderman. It was ok. Competent. After seeing it, I think I actually fall on the side of a natural source of the webbing making more sense than Peter suddenly invents these amazing web shooter devices (admittedly using Oscorp super rope). But yeah it was decent enough that I will watch the second one when it filters to the top of my rentals.

Pacific Rim. Holy shit, that was disappointing. Just how much stupid shit are you supposed to ignore just so you can enjoy giant robots hit huge monsters? "Gipsy is Analogue!", "Rather than fight the monsters, lets build a wall around the Pacific Ocean!", I was desperately hoping the Wall of Life was the result of some alien mind control or something that explained it. There's dumb fun, and then there is outright moronic. Most of the visuals were decent. And I did like the Chuck 'Jeager' gag.  I wouldn't mind seeing a Rifftrax of it though.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:19:22 PM by BathTub »