Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536853 times)

Quantum Vagina

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13740 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »
Personally, I can't hate a director, as long as they enjoy the hell out of what they're doing and having fun with it. Who am I to judge someone for enjoying themselves and having fun?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13741 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »
Personally, I can't hate a director, as long as they enjoy the hell out of what they're doing and having fun with it. Who am I to judge someone for enjoying themselves and having fun?

THIS! IS! THE INTERNET!

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13742 on: March 03, 2014, 09:41:29 AM »

THIS! IS! THE INTERNET!

I know it's a hate machine, but it's a personal opinion. :)

MightyJack

« Reply #13743 on: March 03, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »
This is what I've seen over the last few months...

Her
Odd movie and I’m not sure if it sat well with the audience I saw it with (the old ladies behind me kept talking about leaving). While I’m receptive to oddities, some of the sex stuff struck me as rather silly and I didn't completely buy into the premise. Still, its exploration of the relationship dynamic was of interest. I like it better than the ladies in the theater, but not as much as the critics.

Frozen
Tangled was fair, Wreck it Ralph was decent, but this, this really hit the spot. The humor, the story, its heart and characters really resonated with me. Frozen is the first Disney animated feature I've truly loved in quite a few years. Glad it won the Oscar.

Short Term 12
Indie film about troubled kids who live in a group home, and the people who help them. Performances rang true -and while it recycled a few scenes (young guy reveals his pain through a rap song he wrote, later a young gal reveals her pain through a story she wrote) and the ending is a bit too neat and tidy. I can't fault it too much for that, because it struck an honest, emotional chord. Recommended.

Lego Movie
Cute

We're the Millers
Terrible

Francis Ha
Indie youth culture/character study, in the same vein as those done by the French New Wave. While I've enjoyed his collaborations with Wes Anderson, I've never been that enamored by Noah Baumbach's directorial efforts. This one however, clicked (I always did like the New Wave). And Greta Gerwig is outstanding. Recommended.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:44:30 PM by George Harrison »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13744 on: March 04, 2014, 12:53:41 AM »
Her
Odd movie and I’m not sure if it sat well with the audience I saw it with (the old ladies behind me kept talking about leaving). While I’m receptive to oddities, some of the sex stuff struck me as rather silly and I didn't completely buy into the premise. Still, its exploration of the relationship dynamic was of interest. I like it better than the ladies in the theater, but not as much as the critics.

My favourite movie of last year, and one of the things I liked best about it was how completely plausible it was.
FINE

MightyJack

« Reply #13745 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:35 AM »
Her

My favourite movie of last year, and one of the things I liked best about it was how completely plausible it was.

I'm into Fellini, Bunuel, Charlie Kaufman, so I'm surprised I didn't like it more, and that I didn't buy into it fully. Plausible, maybe, but it broke the goofy meter. It wouldn't make my top 20, but I'd put it in honorable mentions.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13746 on: March 04, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
Another fairly light month for movies. True Detective and Breaking Bad took precedence, although BB was put on hold while we worked through as many of the Oscars movies as we could.

As always, in reverse order (copied and pasted from my Letterboxd diary, and I can't be bothered reversing it) so it's a bit weird with all of the sequels listed this month, but oh well.

Mood Indigo - The newest Michel Gondry. The movie is bonkers - Very Gondry. Fantastic special effects. We watched the extended edition, and maybe it was a little on the long side, but we are big Gondry fans, loving most, and liking the rest of his work, even the stuff that's not that well received.

The Edge of the World - An incredible film about a small, very isolated island off of Scotland. Incredibly remote, it was owned by a lord (laird) who had a community live and work there for him, with the agreement that the then lord would later relocate them to the mainland once the land becomes unworkable. The population of the island is aging out, and the younger generations are leaving the island and going out into the world. I love every Michael Powell film I've seen, and this one is no different. Highly recommended.

Men in Black 3 - Much better than I anticipated. Not the heights of the first one, but much better than the second.

Iron Man 3 - I still love it. I get some of the complaints against this movie, and yet everything works for me.

Men in Black II - Muddled, average sequel. Not a complete mess, but not nearly as well thought out as the first. Two many aliens with only one quirk to pad out the rouges gallery.

Men in Black - Holds up as a solid, fun movie. Glad I finally revisited it.

Muppets From Space - I love The Muppets, and really enjoyed this film when it first came out, but... it hasn't aged well. There are some bits I like a lot though. It didn't hold my son's attention the way The Muppets Take Manhattan or Follow That Bird did.

Nebraska - Hated it. Looked beautiful, and Bruce Dern was really great in it, and that's about all of the nice things I have to say about it. The script was clunky as hell, a lot of the acting was really terrible. I am sad to say that I don't think Will Forte (who I like a lot) pulled it off at all, though there were plenty of worse cases too. Also, (minor spoiler) when a character is reveal to have committed a rape, it is treated as a joke. Gross.

The Muppets Take Manhattan - Was pretty impressed that this one held my sons attention as much as it did. As far as Muppet movies go, this one is very talk-y and doesn't have a lot of zany action. He loves Kermit though. He has a stuffed Kermit doll (OK, it might have been mine) that he loves to play with, especially when he sees him on screen.

Blue Jasmine - My wife refused to watch it, or any Woody Allen movie ever again. I thought Blanchett was quite good, though a little too 'big' and 'Oscarsy' for my taste. On the whole, though, the movie didn't do much for me.

Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird - Watched with my son who really loved it. I enjoy it too, though it's not as good as a Muppet movie. He also loves Big Bird, and cars even more, which this movie features a lot of.

The Wolf of Wall Street - Hmmm. Well, it had a lot of great stuff in it, but on the whole felt rather forgettable. It's the best of his last three movies. Hopefully this upward swing continues and we develop some kind of technology that wipes Shutter Island from history.

We abandoned 12 Years a Slave about 15 or 20 mins in because it was just too upsetting. We couldn't handle it.

We also abandoned Philomena at about the halfway point because my wife was finding it too upsetting.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13747 on: March 04, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »
Men in Black 3 - Much better than I anticipated. Not the heights of the first one, but much better than the second.

I still haven't seen this one, so many to catch up on....

MightyJack

« Reply #13748 on: March 05, 2014, 03:28:45 AM »

Blue Jasmine - My wife refused to watch it, or any Woody Allen movie ever again. I thought Blanchett was quite good, though a little too 'big' and 'Oscarsy' for my taste. On the whole, though, the movie didn't do much for me.

Now that was my favorite film of the year (of those I have seen). Blanchett was brilliant. deserving of every award and accolade she's received.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13749 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »

Now that was my favorite film of the year (of those I have seen). Blanchett was brilliant. deserving of every award and accolade she's received.

Is your wife anti-Woody Allen because of the scandal? Because I have a hard time with things like that. In reality, if I refused to see any movie because a person on the film did something despicable, I would probably not watch many movies. apparently Bill Cosby has also been accused....
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13750 on: March 05, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »

Is your wife anti-Woody Allen because of the scandal? Because I have a hard time with things like that. In reality, if I refused to see any movie because a person on the film did something despicable, I would probably not watch many movies. apparently Bill Cosby has also been accused....

I can't speak for George but I know someone, my Mom, who despises Woody Allen because she just doesn't like his films. I'm personally not opposed to his work but I find a lot of his films pretentious and or dull in general, with exceptions of course.   

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13751 on: March 05, 2014, 04:18:13 PM »

Yeah because of the accusations.

First I've heard that about Cosby?
FINE

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13752 on: March 05, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »

I read about Cosby in an article when Woody's scandal resurfaced. According to the article there was tons of evidence from 2-3 victims, but they get a settlement and it wasn't mentioned again.

Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13753 on: March 05, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »

I read about Cosby in an article when Woody's scandal resurfaced. According to the article there was tons of evidence from 2-3 victims, but they get a settlement and it wasn't mentioned again.

I noticed a couple articles around the same time, and was just as shocked.  Seems the alleged events revolved around him giving women some unknown "medication" before attempting to take advantage.  I really don't know what to think about it, I really wish things like that would make it to trial for some form of closure.  I guess our closure isn't the most important part though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

MightyJack

« Reply #13754 on: March 05, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
I judge a film on the film. (And it's an accusation, not a conviction. It's also one that is refuted by another sibling who was there that day (and who also had some negative comments about Mia's verbally abusive parenting. So it's not cut and dried)

But even then, I'd have to stop watching a lot of movies and MST3K episodes if I got into all that. Johnathan in The Painted Hill killed a guy, there are a lot of negatives surrounding John Wayne, Bing Crosby sounded like a right bastard, and then there Mommy Dearest herself, Joan Crawford.

Not saying you have to think like I do. Every persons got to go with what they feel is right in cases like this. But that's where I'm at with this issue.