Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584266 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13665 on: January 28, 2014, 10:44:19 PM »
True Lies.

wouldn't go so far as to call it Cameron's last great film (T2's got a lock on that for sure)

True Lies was a few years after T2, so I would call it the last movie he made with likable characters.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13666 on: January 28, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »
True Lies.

wouldn't go so far as to call it Cameron's last great film (T2's got a lock on that for sure)

True Lies was a few years after T2, so I would call it the last movie he made with likable characters.

It's kind of an odd duck in the Cameron filmography. He's got the all-timers of Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, and T2 before it, and after it he goes off the deep end (into an even deeper pit of money) with Titanic and Avatar. Compared to the former, it's only good-but-not-great, but compared to the latter, it's stellar.

I say it's the rating. Some directors just do better with R.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13667 on: February 01, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Prisoners

While it was certainly a step above your average crime thriller, at the end of it I wasn't blown away or anything. Hugh Jackman gives a really great performance. Paul Dano goes out of his comfort zone by playing a crazy person. The cinematography is, indeed, very good...which is what we've come to expect from Roger Deakins. It's really pretty to look at. Also has a nice score by Johann Johannsson. Unfortunately, at 2 1/2 hours, it's just too long.

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #13668 on: February 02, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
Samurai Ninja I. I got about halfway through before I fell asleep, liked what I saw so far. "Look if you lost your quarter just fill out a form!"

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13669 on: February 02, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
Prisoners

While it was certainly a step above your average crime thriller, at the end of it I wasn't blown away or anything. Hugh Jackman gives a really great performance. Paul Dano goes out of his comfort zone by playing a crazy person. The cinematography is, indeed, very good...which is what we've come to expect from Roger Deakins. It's really pretty to look at. Also has a nice score by Johann Johannsson. Unfortunately, at 2 1/2 hours, it's just too long.

This is an excellently beautiful and somber movie about loss, grief, and helplessness, that is unfortunately undercut by several TV-cop-show level plot twists and story directions. Still a good movie, but it could've been that much more.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13670 on: February 02, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
Prisoners

This is an excellently beautiful and somber movie about loss, grief, and helplessness, that is unfortunately undercut by several TV-cop-show level plot twists and story directions. Still a good movie, but it could've been that much more.

Have you seen the trailer for the director's new movie, Enemy? It also stars Gyllenhaal and it looks even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VftzJYNfgxw

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2650
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13671 on: February 02, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
Movies for January. Not as many as the last few months. We started watching this show called Breaking Bad. Have you heard of it? Worth a watch. (We're halfway through season 2)

American Hustle - Not too bad, but also not great. Performances were good, but it just felt a bit too 'seen it.'

Inside Llewyn Davis - I think this will grow on us more in the next viewing, as, though we enjoyed it, it seemed a little slight. Great music.

Dallas Buyers Club - Incredible film. Can't believe how great McConaughey is in this. Haven't seen all of the best actor nominees yet, but he seems like a lock to me.

Gravity - My second time. Still gripping and fun.

The To Do List - There's a lot to like about this film, even though it doesn't really come together as well as it could. Ends well without taking a Hollywood, moral kind of ending. Bill Hader is really great.

August: Osage County - A well made, and really well acted movie that is not for me. If you find yourself too attracted to Benedict Cumberbatch, this movie is probably the remedy.

Her - I think my favourite movie of 2013. Incredible film. So well realized and plausible...

Frozen - Loved it, and was made even better because my in-laws babysat and we got to get out and see it at a cinema! What a luxury!

Fantastic Mr. Fox - I like this movie a lot, though I think I am less impressed with it than when I first saw it. Might just be that I saw it too recently - We only screened it this night for a friend who hadn't seen it and chose it from the shelf.

The Tale of Zatoichi - First of the 25 movie boxset. The boxset is obviously going to keep us going for a while, but we did enjoy the first film a lot. And it was made with very little care or interest from the studio, so I wonder what happens as the series gets more popular.

Citizen Kane - FINALLY. Yeah, it's great. I see what the people who say it's cold are saying, but it's still a tremendous film. I have nothing new to add to the conversation, of course, except that I enjoyed it.

The Queen of Versailles - I was worried I wouldn't be able to stand this documentary, but it is fascinating. Highly recommended!
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13672 on: February 02, 2014, 07:21:11 PM »
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 - I liked it. The first one is funnier. But the visuals in this one are so creative.
  Might have benefited if they hadn't revealed the head scientist guy was a villain from the very beginning.
  Why do they have a recap of the first movie? It was a giant hit and most people have already seen it. Plus, with DVD and BluRay and renting and everything, a lot of people have seen it recently, not just the last time it was in theaters. It seemed unnecessary.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13673 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:40 PM »
Kick-Ass 2 - I liked it more than the first one. Although I don't buy that Hit Girl would retire after just one sappy monologue by her step-father (okay, that's not exactly what he is). And Kick-Ass having retired after the end of the first movie didn't make ANY sense. Nor did his retiring again 2/3rd of the way through this. We know they are going to get back at it, and the movie doesn't really give good enough reasons to try to justify it. I also didn't like that they were trying to question whether Kick-Ass started all of this. All of the super-villains at least would have been criminals of varying degrees anyway, hell most of them already were. And Chris's Motherfucker costume was REALLY stupid looking. Not to mention they have John Leguizamo and give him absolutely nothing to do. However, the whole Hit Girl in highschool stuff, especially dealing with being a teenage girl and growing up sexually, I really liked.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13674 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 - I liked it. The first one is funnier. But the visuals in this one are so creative.
  Might have benefited if they hadn't revealed the head scientist guy was a villain from the very beginning.
  Why do they have a recap of the first movie? It was a giant hit and most people have already seen it. Plus, with DVD and BluRay and renting and everything, a lot of people have seen it recently, not just the last time it was in theaters. It seemed unnecessary.

It's a movie that was very watchable and I feel kept the spirit of the first movie, but lacked the humour of the first one.  I think the big difference is that the first one made me laugh a lot, while this one was simply pleasant.  Could have done without the adorable Berry character (which is also a pretty thankless role for NPH).  The visuals are still great though.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13675 on: February 08, 2014, 03:03:31 PM »
Just saw The Lego Movie. Wow, that was...was...EVERYTHING IS AWESOME! This movie is soooo good. I mean, Pixar at their height, good. I definitely want to see it again to catch a lot of the jokes I missed (there is so much going on in the background here). And maybe if I can watch it not having to sit way too close and off to one side that might help. But this is definitely the kind of kids movie that doesn't talk down to kids. In fact it encourages them to an extent I haven't seen in a "kids movie" in a really long time.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13676 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:49 PM »
Her

The future is high pants and bad hair styles. But seriously, I don't even know how to begin processing this movie. There is so much happening in it. It's subtext has subtext. I can tell you that Joaquin Phoenix did an exceptional job. I also loved how
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #13677 on: February 08, 2014, 06:47:21 PM »
'Friday' on Friday night, and a Double Feature of 'Strange Brew' and 'Top Secret!' tonight!!
:D :D

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #13678 on: February 08, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
Cyrus. Wow that was trash, really disappointing. Couldn't be much more formulaic.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #13679 on: February 08, 2014, 09:40:01 PM »
Escape Plan

Shockingly entertaining.  It's goofy, predictable and a bit stupid but it's a fun way to burn 2 hours if you're in the mood for a decent action flick.