Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1580846 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13605 on: January 13, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »

Computer Chess - The worst movie of 2013. Not even close. I am so angry at every positive review I have read of this film. I made the top ten lists of SO many of my favourite reviewers. I am certain this is a case of Emperor's New Clothes. No reviews I have read has said anything that they liked about it other than 'it took a lot of chances' and they liked the (ugly) look of the movie. Did anyone here like it?

I don't think I've ever heard of that one.

I apologize for bringing it to your attention. ;P

I did see a trailer for it and admit that I was interested.  But I'll probably stay away from it now. 

To be fair, it's very well loved.

Anyway, I hope you like Boy - I'd love to hear what you think.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #13606 on: January 13, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »

Computer Chess - The worst movie of 2013. Not even close. I am so angry at every positive review I have read of this film. I made the top ten lists of SO many of my favourite reviewers. I am certain this is a case of Emperor's New Clothes. No reviews I have read has said anything that they liked about it other than 'it took a lot of chances' and they liked the (ugly) look of the movie. Did anyone here like it?

I don't think I've ever heard of that one.

I apologize for bringing it to your attention. ;P

I did see a trailer for it and admit that I was interested.  But I'll probably stay away from it now. 

To be fair, it's very well loved.

Anyway, I hope you like Boy - I'd love to hear what you think.

It was great!  Such a cute little film.  There was a whole bunch of characters but it was never confusing as to who was who.  They were all developed nicely in their limited screentime thanks to nice dialogue and costume design.  The humor was fun and the story was quite touching at times.  I also really like seeing the different culture.  My fiancee and I want to go to New Zealand for our honey moon.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13607 on: January 13, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you! Hope you make it to New Zealand! :D
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13608 on: January 13, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
Caught Anchorman 2 over the weekend. It was a worthy sequel! It was more of what made the first one work, but different enough to where it didn't feel like a rehash. It also had something to say about the 24-hour news machine, and I think it said it well.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13609 on: January 13, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
August: Osage Country - A very dark dramedy. Meryl Streep is amazing, but then again, she always is. Really, everyone in it did a great job. Nice to see Juliet Lewis in stuff again. It's one of the more spectacular train-wrecks-you-cant-look-away-from I've seen in a while (the story, not the film itself). If you like dysfunctional families this is up there for sure.

12 Years a Slave - I think the acting was great, particularly by Lupita Nyong'o (who is absolutely gorgeous btw), and Michael Fassbender (who is terrifying). Gorgeous cinematography and sound. Steve McQueen has a great eye for what looks good. Unfortunately, the pacing felt off. Not sure why exactly, but it took me out of it at times. Still, some of the scenes are so powerful and well directed/acted that it really is one of the more amazing films of the year.

Dallas Buyer's Club - I quite liked this movie. I thought McConaughey did a great job, but holy hell! Jared Leto was phenomenal! Really a movie worth watching.

Mud - Another McConaughey film from 2013. I really liked this one too. There's not all that much to say about it except that I would recommend it because it's just a treat to watch.

The World's End - I didn't like this as much as Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, but it is still an excellent comedy. That group of people work so well together, and Edgar Wright is such a talented director that it totally works. A fitting end to a very funny trilogy.

American Hustle - Big disappointment for me. I love David O'Russell's work. I love all of the actors in this movie. It was an exercise in tedium watching this movie though. I just kept waiting for anything to happen. It didn't seem like any of the characters had much in the way of story arcs. The writing had moments of clarity and brilliance, but was dull overall. The one movie I've seen this year that I genuinely do not understand people's undying love for.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13610 on: January 13, 2014, 10:15:49 PM »
August: Osage Country - A very dark dramedy. Meryl Streep is amazing, but then again, she always is.

Except when she's giving speeches about Walt Disney based on urban myths and fibs. ;)
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5175
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13611 on: January 14, 2014, 06:03:49 AM »
The Wolf of Wall Street - A very fun and funny movie.  Doesn't really say much about the nature of greed beyond it is pretty addicting and awesome.  Which isn't to say that I think the creators are buying into the main characters bullshit, but like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas, the film is about showing us what would make such a lifestyle so appealing by showing things through the criminal's point of view.  It's a long movie, but it is so lively that it never feels too long.  It is also VERY funny and contains the best use of Rob Reiner in a LONG time (and a lot of people do a lot with very small parts).  The entire midget conversation is incredibly hilarious.  I think this is another reason why the film is so long: it really takes it's time with segments, with certain parts being their own separate little entities.

It really isn't a movie that's going to show the real consequences of what he has done, but rather what it is like to live a life so excessive, it's impossible to conceive of an ending where things don't self-destruct.

One thing I'm not looking forward to: the number of douchebags who will love this movie for all the wrong reasons.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13612 on: January 17, 2014, 01:38:42 PM »
The Act of Killing is now on Netflix.  This will soon be the last movie I watched.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13613 on: January 17, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
The Act of Killing is now on Netflix.  This will soon be the last movie I watched.

...EVER
FINE

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #13614 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Maybe he is going to practice what he learned about the act of killing on himself?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5175
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13615 on: January 17, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »
The Blues Brothers - This is such a fun, feel good movie.  I love John Candy's small role in the movie.  It's like his character knows what kind of character he is in the movie (the cop who gets duped) and decided to enjoy every minute of it (his last little scene is great.  No one has ever been that happy to be in a car accident).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5894
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13616 on: January 18, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »
I watched Oz the Great and Powerful. The first half wasn't bad. I like some of the humor. James Franco is fun when he really tries to ham it up. I liked the scene where he meets and fixes the china girl. But then about an hour in and I stand corrected. This movie just got AGGRESIVELY stupid.

So...who's castle was it in the Dark Forest? Why was Glinda there in a black cloak acting all mysterious?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #13617 on: January 18, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »
Kristen Schaal Live at the Fillmore. 

Thoroughly enjoyed it.  One of my favorite female comedians, and she did some funny comedy about comedy as well.

But can anyone tell me what the very end where she's old in bed in the room with aliens was a reference to?  It seems so familiar, but I can't quite remember.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13618 on: January 18, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
Kristen Schaal is very funny, but I've heard rumors that she's also a horse.  Did the special touch on that at all?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #13619 on: January 18, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
Saw "The Worlds End".  A very strange but enjoyable film.  Probably my favorite of the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost films.