Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526629 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13515 on: December 17, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
I always forget to just click there name and find out.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13516 on: December 17, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »
He lives in Australia. Reading about how hot he has been while Denver, CO was bitterly cold last week didn't make me want to punch him at all! (j/k)

We'll trade. In a second. It's alllll yours.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13517 on: December 17, 2013, 11:03:23 PM »
He lives in Australia. Reading about how hot he has been while Denver, CO was bitterly cold last week didn't make me want to punch him at all! (j/k)

We'll trade. In a second. It's alllll yours.

Agreed!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13518 on: December 18, 2013, 02:52:36 AM »
As long as you guys keep the horrible animals you have, I'd be fine with that. I don't get hot, but I DO get cold very easily.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #13519 on: December 18, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »
As long as you guys keep the horrible animals you have, I'd be fine with that. I don't get hot, but I DO get cold very easily.

All the reptiles will die in the cold!  :'(
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13520 on: December 18, 2013, 03:07:24 AM »

If they're going to die, they'd better do it, and decrease the creepy crawly surplus population!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13521 on: December 18, 2013, 03:10:53 AM »

If they're going to die, they'd better do it, and decrease the creepy crawly surplus population!

But if the reptiles die, who'll eat all the insects who'll just go dormant in the cold?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13522 on: December 18, 2013, 03:34:33 AM »

But if the reptiles die, who'll eat all the insects who'll just go dormant in the cold?
Why, only the most durable of creatures on this earth: Bear Grylls! All we need to do is release one BG for each state, and you're good to go!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13523 on: December 18, 2013, 04:28:14 AM »

Why, only the most durable of creatures on this earth: Bear Grylls! All we need to do is release one BG for each state, and you're good to go!

Oh no you don't, we're still suffering from the cane toads - no more introduced species here!
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #13524 on: December 18, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13525 on: December 18, 2013, 05:08:48 AM »
I'd have called them chazzwazzers.  But that's just me.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13526 on: December 18, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
2003's Twilight Zone-y Dead End (directed by Jean-Baptiste Andrea and Fabrice Canepa) is an unassuming little thriller in the mode of Carnival of Souls. I don't think I'm giving anything away by stating this up front, because it's so damned obvious to the viewer what's going on, even if it's not obvious to the characters in the film. This is the afterlife as an unpleasant car trip with your family. Hell, in other words.

The story here follows The Harringtons, Frank and Laura, and their children, Marion and Richard, on a long drive to Grandma's house for Christmas. Along for the ride is Marion's fiance, Brad. It's late on Christmas Eve, and Frank nods off ever so briefly behind the wheel, narrowly avoiding a collision with an oncoming car. After the near miss, they meet a hitchhiker on the road: a girl in a white dress carrying a baby. They give her a ride. During a pit stop, she lets Brad hold the baby. To his horror and dismay, the baby is dead. And soon, so is Brad, victim of a mysterious hearse that appears every time someone dies. As the trip continues down an endless highway that seems to loop back on itself, the Harringtons succumb to the hearse one by one.

I think you can fill in the rest. It's not terribly original and, like I say, it's not a hard movie to decode. But it's not bad for all of that. In fact, it was agreeably well-made. It makes the most of its limited setting. The car acts as a kind of microcosm where each of the characters is put into the crucible. The intent here is to deconstruct the family we're presented, and the Harringtons are suitably dysfunctional. Watching them tear themselves to pieces is the main pleasure of the movie, though the filmmakers offer a literal version of this, too. It likes its gore. This kind of movie rises and falls on its performances, and here, the filmmakers have wisely spent their money on pretty good actors. Ray Wise is the most recognizable face in the cast as Frank, and his put-upon patriarch reminds me a LOT of Leland Palmer from Twin Peaks. It's a similar performance. He doesn't overreach this--indeed, he's probably cashing a paycheck here--but Leland Palmer was a great character, and so is Frank Harrington. The movie is all but stolen from everyone by Lin Shaye as Laura, though, who the filmmakers have provided with freak-out scenes and a license to chew the scenery. She dutifully obliges them. The other actors are good, too, though only Alexandra Holden is given any meat to chew on.

For the most part, it's fun watching these people come apart at the seams, but the movie is what would have been a B-movie programmer once upon a time, and it embraces that niche. That it's so derivative is disappointing, because this same selection of talent is clearly capable of better. One wishes that they had just a little more ambition. But they don't, and the result is perfectly fine. It's well paced and well-shot, and it does an admirable job with it's few gross-out scenes. Just don't expect it to surprise you.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #13527 on: December 19, 2013, 07:33:03 AM »
Upon hearing the plot I kind of remember Dead End, in the sort of vague way that means I was present in the room when APGIL had it on. I seem to remember liking it, too. The dead baby part was freaky.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13528 on: December 19, 2013, 06:46:10 PM »
Among the more improbable collaborations in movie history: Jess Franco and Orson Welles. Franco was a second unit director on Welles's Chimes at Midnight (1965), which ultimately led to Franco asserting the moral authority to cobble together the fragments of Welles's Don Quixote. This, of course, is absurd. But I won't quibble. The second unit stuff on Chimes is nice. This was Welles's favorite of his own movies, and its probably my second favorite --behind Touch of Evil-- of Welles's movies, too. It's certainly my favorite Shakespearean film, though I sometimes waffle between this and Throne of Blood. It seems criminal to me that this film remains largely unseen. It's a masterpiece. In any event, during this revisiting, I was struck by how unpleasant a character Prince Hal really is, and by the fact that he tells the audience, and he tells Falstaff, exactly what his calumny will be late in the movie, with no one believing him. Anyone who buys into the notion that Henry V is militarist propaganda needs to see the first two parts of the Henriad to realize that the Bard cuts that notion off at the knees. One of the multifarious triumphs of Chimes at Midnight is the bitter irony it imparts on Ralph Richardson's narration from Hollingshead's chronicles, praising Henry V's reign as Falstaff's coffin is wheeled away. In any event, this remains one of the great sleight of hand acts in all of cinema, in which Welles concocts an epic from smoke and mirrors. He presents himself as a magician and a charlatan at the beginning of F for Fake, but this movie shows that the man was capable of miracles.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #13529 on: December 21, 2013, 09:38:16 AM »
I saw that piece of crap Thor movie about the darkened world of darkness in the 3D all you kids like these days... what a load of turds! And that 3D crap... you can give that right back to the Indians!  Anybody who thinks that 3D shits is anything but a load of horseshit should have their mothers' punched right in the baby-maker, as punishment for pushing you out into this world!

Buncha big things crashing into other big things... story NOPE! Don't need it! Got 3D!!!

Fuck the lotta ya's!

HAPPY SOLSTICE, tho!

Rev. RANDY!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...