login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586159 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13500 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »
Desolation of Smaug.  I liked it.  Had fun.  Little long towards the end.  Could have done with out the last action sequence.  But I thought it looked nice and kept me entertained. 

EDIT:  Oh and I spotted Stephen Colbert.  A little tricky, but here's there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 03:08:57 PM by Variety of Cells »

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13501 on: December 16, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »
I saw Desolation of Smaug over the weekend. AWESOME. Loved it. A lot less faithful to the book, but a better movie than the first one. An Unexpected Journey was really padded and slow, very annoying. Desolation has a lot more ground to cover, and so it feels a lot more fast paced. The characters were better developed, which is kind of a plus and minus at the same time. I love the dwarves being almost entirely interchangeable, losing track of them, not knowing which one's which, etc.

Oh, and Evangeline Lilly was AWESOME. Stole every seen she was in, and was just plain brilliant the entire time. Having Legolas return was pretty great as well; him being an immature ass most of his screen time was very enjoyable.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13502 on: December 16, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
I agree with everything QV said.

I loved the last line of the movie. I was actually mad the movie was over.

Also, can someone tell me where Colbert was?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13503 on: December 16, 2013, 07:07:01 PM »
  I liked The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, it was fun overall. I found the previous one pretty insufferable. But this one also was too long. And what was with the female elf feeling like she didn't belong in the movie? Jackson has done such a great job with every other character looking like they are part of Middle Earth, but for some reason she just looked too modern. Not really sure why. I know she isn't in the book, but I am okay with kickass female characters if they are done well and fit in. But her character did feel frustratingly tacked on.
  I absolutely HATED the love triangle bullshit that just came out of nowhere and didn't feel like there was any believability about it. An elf we've never met seems to fall for Dwarf #8 we can't even be bothered to remember his name. Yeah, lets devote time in an already bloated movie on that, rather than, oh I don't know, THE GODDAMN TITLE CHARACTER?!
  That being said, the action was very good. And Smaug was badass! (after the trainwreck that was the last one, he's the only reason I was there)
  One thing I didn't get, why did Gandalf seem like he was afraid of the bear at the beginning? Or at least, it seemed like he thought the bear was something that he would have trouble protecting the others from. I know it's a big bear (and a shapeshifter), but I still don't get why a WIZARD is afraid of him.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #13504 on: December 16, 2013, 07:11:04 PM »
The love triangle was the studio's idea, from what I've heard.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13505 on: December 16, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »
I actually loved the first Hobbit movie, because it felt like The Hobbit.  By the sounds of it, I'm going to hate the second one.  Pity.  Same actually happened with the LOTR movies; I really quite liked the first one, warts and all, but found the second one execrable.
I found the second LOTR movie the most boring of the three. Although that was mostly because they focused so much on the boring human cultures. And the boring Ents.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13506 on: December 16, 2013, 07:14:27 PM »
The love triangle was the studio's idea, from what I've heard.
It certainly sounds like studio interference. Which is weird, you would think after all the money Peter Jackson has made them he would have more than enough clout to stop that kind of bullshit.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #13507 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:29 PM »
Oh, and Evangeline Lilly was AWESOME. Stole every seen she was in, and was just plain brilliant the entire time. Having Legolas return was pretty great as well; him being an immature ass most of his screen time was very enjoyable.

Legolas was great as an ass!  I assumed I was going to hate him when I saw him in the trailers, but having him be an unlikeable character was perfect.  I already didn't like that he was in the movie, so having him be a dick was great.

Also, can someone tell me where Colbert was?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #13508 on: December 16, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
I also heard that he may have agreed to it, but I'm not sure if it was because of the studio or he actually wanted it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13509 on: December 16, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
I'd like to see him challenge himself to make a movie under two hours again. It feels like he's becoming more self indulgent because he has his own studio and nobody seems to be willing to tell him to cut things out, or shorten scenes down.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13510 on: December 16, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
I did like his cameo in this, though.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13511 on: December 16, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
I actually loved the first Hobbit movie, because it felt like The Hobbit.  By the sounds of it, I'm going to hate the second one.  Pity.  Same actually happened with the LOTR movies; I really quite liked the first one, warts and all, but found the second one execrable.
I found the second LOTR movie the most boring of the three. Although that was mostly because they focused so much on the boring human cultures. And the boring Ents.

I think I checked out pretty early, when it became clear that Gimli was being treated as a clown.
Yeah, I hated that too. I call it "Worf syndrome".

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13512 on: December 16, 2013, 11:36:49 PM »
Trying to be sober Scott and super hot days hiding under the air-con has meant a LOT of movies:

*Beverly Hills Cop (first time ever): It was okay, fun detective movie but no Fletch.

*The Orphanage: Love this movie so much and I actually think a remake could be brilliant.

*Micheal Clayton (first time ever): Incredibly well made, written and acted film.  Loved it

*Mission Impossible 3: Realizing how big a fan I am of this series and Tom Cruise, superbly well crafted action/thriller.

*Mission Impossible 4: Realizing how big a fan I am of this series and Tom Cruise, superbly well crafted action/thriller.

*Gone Baby, Gone: Dark somewhat noir-ish police thriller, very much a 70's throwback in a lot of ways.

*Inside Man: One of my favourite bank heist movies ever.

...realizing I need to watch more new stuff  :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13513 on: December 17, 2013, 12:09:10 PM »
Trying to be sober Scott and super hot days hiding under the air-con has meant a LOT of movies:

*Beverly Hills Cop (first time ever): It was okay, fun detective movie but no Fletch.

*The Orphanage: Love this movie so much and I actually think a remake could be brilliant.

*Micheal Clayton (first time ever): Incredibly well made, written and acted film.  Loved it

*Mission Impossible 3: Realizing how big a fan I am of this series and Tom Cruise, superbly well crafted action/thriller.

*Mission Impossible 4: Realizing how big a fan I am of this series and Tom Cruise, superbly well crafted action/thriller.

*Gone Baby, Gone: Dark somewhat noir-ish police thriller, very much a 70's throwback in a lot of ways.

*Inside Man: One of my favourite bank heist movies ever.

...realizing I need to watch more new stuff  :)

Where do you live?

I love the Inside Man.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13514 on: December 17, 2013, 12:31:18 PM »
He lives in Australia. Reading about how hot he has been while Denver, CO was bitterly cold last week didn't make me want to punch him at all! (j/k)

Scott, hope it's ok I answered for you. Just wanted to mention my jealousy.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D