login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1552997 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13410 on: November 03, 2013, 10:39:35 PM »
Here's my last month's worth of movie viewing. No horror movies this year. Oops.

Ass Backwards - Low budget, indie comedy starring Casey Wilson and June Diane-Raphael. It's a roadtrip movie with a Romy and Michelle feel. It's fun enough, but not amazing. Some fun cameos and an easy watch.

Hombre - Tremendous Western based on an Elmore Leonard novel and starring Paul Newman. Paul Newman is pretty much my favourite. I really enjoy him in everything I've seen him in. He plays this one pretty low-key, and it's very effective.

Where the Wild Things Are - I know opinions are mixed, but I feel like Spike Jonze really pulled off a very difficult task adapting this novel into a movie. The design is excellent, and the story is like a punch in the guts. Really glad I finally picked this up on Blu Ray.

Wild Strawberries - I never thought I would become and Ingmar Bergman fan, but I have seen four or five of his films now, and been incredibly impressed with all of them - Most of them linger with you for quite a while after watching them.  This is, like so many of his works, about getting older/mortality, but I'd say it's one of his lighter films...

Europe '51 - Not the best of the Roberto Rossellini/Ingrid Bergman collaborations, but still a very powerful film. It centres around a woman whose child dies, and she has to find meaning in her life.

The Petrified Forest - Second time watching this film, I enjoy it so much I bought the entire 'Ultimate Gangsters' set just for this movie. Bogart's breakout role, and he is a lot of fun here.

Ran - Kurosawa's take on King Lear. As always, his films are very enjoyable, though I've never seen a production of King Lear, which I think would have added to it.

Gravity - Felt really guilty, as I had to see it without my wife, who was also very keen to catch it at the cinema, but our baby is teething, and not really babysittable at the moment. Anyway, the film was really impressive and fun. Glad I saw it on the big screen for sure.

Touch of Evil - Mentioned this in this thread earlier. What a fun movie (Considered by many to be the last 'true' noir film). Heston and Welles are two wonderfully hammy actors, but they really work great together here.

Once Upon a Time in the West - One of the coolest movies ever made. (And then made again and again by Tarantino)

Supersonic Man - Rifftrax edition, of course.

Stromboli - Another Rossellini/Bergman film, this one is even better than Europe 51, in my opinion. A woman in an internment camp marries an Italian POW to escape the camp, only to find that he lives on a tiny island with an active volcano, and everyone is very conservative... This is a fantastic film.

Sanjuro - Another Kurosawa film, this is one of his most fun little films, a sequel to Yojimbo. It's light, funny, and fast paced.

Much Ado About Nothing - Wheadon is pretty hit or miss for me, but I did enjoy his modern, screwball adaptation of this play. Funny and surprisingly beautifully shot (given that it was a secret project that he knocked off in his home over a few days)

Star Trek Into Darkness - Not as good as the first one, but entertaining enough.

Silent Rage - Rifftrax again

Stories We Tell - Sarah Polley's documentary about her family. Partially made up of reenactments and partially old footage of the family (and new interviews, of course), it might seem like a 'so what?' but actually the family are interesting, and this is an entertaining film, largely carried by her dad.

The Searchers - Yet another Western. One of the best ever made too, according to most sources. We got into it, though it feels, at the start, kind of like a Disney, family film, and it gets very dark.
FINE

MightyJack

« Reply #13411 on: November 04, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
^Lot of great flicks there Edward

I checked out a handful of movies from the library and had a nice quiet, lazy weekend.

The Bling Ring
Sofia Coppola's minimalist style won’t suit every taste but IMHO this is the director’s best film since Lost in Translation. Don’t expect an in depth examination of the crime itself. Coppola isn't a didactic filmmaker, she’s like Kelly Reichardt in that she simply turns her lens on her characters and captures a moment in time. Sofia’s films evoke a restlessness and ennui in it’s privileged people -- which didn't work in “Somewhere” because I didn't care for or empathize with her protagonist. But empathy isn’t required here, you’re not supposed to like this group - and the superficial story fits the superficial quality of these individuals.

Beyond the kids and the indictment on social media and bad parenting, it’s the lifestyles of the rich and famous that these kids admire, and long to be part of (and who are often rich and famous for doing nothing of worth) that fascinates… for their vapid preoccupation with celebrity and material things and lack of anything of substance. Paris Hilton in particular, is an example of how shallow and pointless this world is. A DVD extra where Hilton is interviewed is laughable. She doesn't get it or the point of the film. And it’s a strange irony when we follow her around as she shows off all the neat stuff she has (including a doghouse replica of her own home): The film casts a scathing spotlight on the cult of celebrity, even as it perpetuates and feeds off such things with extras like this.

Mud
Southern coming of age story from Jeff Nichols -- All the familiar elements are there: it has the mix of idealism and disillusionment, there’s a mentor figure and a bittersweet romance, all of this is threaded through a story about a man (McConaughey) on the run from the law and a group of bounty hunters. While I didn't find it as brilliant as Nichols “Take Shelter”, it’s another good flick from the writer/director and it’s marked by top notch, natural performances.

Now You See Me
Ridiculous and implausible as hell, it still manages to entertain as mindless escapism. Just don’t think about it too much.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 03:07:41 PM by George Harrison »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13412 on: November 04, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
Haven't seen the other two yet, but Mud is my favourite of the year so far.
FINE

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13413 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »
Vertical Limit

I know what you are thinking... Chris O'Donnell, Scott Glenn and mountain climbing together at last!!! Found this stuffed in with things that I hadn't unpacked from my last move... I really have no idea how I even came to own this DVD... There is no bar code on the back, replaced by "Promotional Use Only, not for sale or rent"... Maybe I helped Chris O'Donnell's mom carry groceries out to her car and she had a shitload of these things in her purse and gave me one? I really have no idea... But I threw it on and watched it as I 'worked' from the home office.

So anyways, imagine really fucking stupid people climbing a mountain and then needing to get rescued. Then imagine equally stupid people getting sent to rescue them. There ya have it... Or maybe Die Hard on a Mountain without Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman and everything that made Die Hard a good movie. I will say the scenery was nice... and with a few cringeworthy exceptions, the stunt work / FX shots were not bad. But of course every damn thing that could go wrong on the mountain does go wrong... and everybody you expect to die ends up dying... and there is a lot of unintentionally humorous dialog... and the script is one big steaming cliche... I guess that is the one saving grace, the cliches are so plentiful that anybody who enjoys riffing along will have plenty to latch onto. 

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13414 on: November 05, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »
V for Vendetta.

Wow, forgot how great this is. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5114
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13415 on: November 07, 2013, 08:56:06 PM »
Thor: The Dark World

Watched this one last night.  Don't pay for the 3D (not bad, but not great).  Overall, it's pretty great and an improvement over the first.  I liked the first movie well enough, but while this one has a few weaknesses (whenever some of the mumbo-jumbo is played straight, it's not so hot) it is a much better movie.  Though we don't have Thor being a fish out of water so much anymore, the comedy-writing is tighter and the fights are more ambitious, including a last battle that did something cool and fun with it.  Sadly, the villain doesn't do all that much (aside from having a bad-ass henchman) in terms of character, but Eccleston does what he can with the part.

This one feels a little less director-driven than Shane Black or Joss Whedon (who were also the writers of their films)  but is a very fun super-hero film that doesn't skimp on the spectacle.  Oh, and this is by far the best Loki we've seen so far, and we've seen some great Loki.  Seriously, after this, people are going to want him in his own movie (Thunderbolts, maybe?).  Thor has some growth too, as we see him use his wits and flex some metaphorical muscles that he hadn't flexed before.

The film's biggest flaw?  Not enough Volstagg!

EDIT: In case you were wondering, this one has two codas.  With the first I was all like YEAH. And with the second I was all like. "Hmm... OK, that's fine I gu-- BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  THAT'S ADORABLE!"
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:59:18 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13416 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »
What is it with the crappy 3D on all the Marvel movies?  Post conversions don't have to be crappy, guess they are doing the cheapest conversion just to get it into the 3D theaters?

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13417 on: November 08, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »
The Impostor (2012) a superb documentary by Bart Layton who is mostly known for working on the show Locked Up Abroad. The film is extremely well crafted and has a story that is stranger than fiction.

You can tell by watching that Layton is heavily inspired by Errol Morris, if you, like me, are a fan of his check this out.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13418 on: November 08, 2013, 11:13:31 PM »
If you watch all of Tarkovsky's films within a short period of time, as I've done this past week, Stalker (1979) stands out as the moment when his ideas about sculpting in time were most fully achieved. His earlier works -- great as some of them are -- are often experimental and sometimes lack that internal rhythm within the continuous shot that you find in Stalker and the subsequent films he made in exile (or, say, the late works of Bela Tarr). That deliberate, glacial slowness he reached for has fully ripened here, and it pairs well with the ponderous, haunting narrative that seems to indulge in allegory and symbolism while simultaneously resisting any concrete reading of it as such.

Tarkovsky believed that art's purpose was to enhance our spiritual receptiveness, and it's intriguing to read the story as a self-reflexive study of the struggling artist (a theme developed in many of his other films too). If the Stalker figure here, guiding folks who have lost their faith to a place where they may reclaim their sense of spiritual wonder, is a surrogate for Tarkovsky, then (to pick up on one of Geoff Dyer's most compelling ideas in Zona) the Room is cinema itself. The camera, which often takes on a disembodied subjectivity, perhaps the presence of consciousness surrounding the Zone, is incidentally, if you watch carefully, the only character to set foot in the Room.

This film is full of the deep sense of mystery that religion once held for us, and it occurs to me that my own spiritual need for wonder is fulfilled by this sort of quasi-religious art in a way that actual religion no longer can. Curiously, though, it's not the beautiful greenery of the Zone, ridden with detritus (so expressive of Writer and Professor's own sense of spiritual ruin), but the stark sepia of the early scenes that are for me the most aesthetically affecting, a realization I never had, and probably would never have had, prior to experiencing this on film.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:11:01 PM by Charles Foster Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13419 on: November 08, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
I also saw Thor: The Dark World

Pros:
-The cast. Tom Hiddleston, Chris Hemsworth, Kat Dennings, Stellan Skarsgard, Idris Elba, Zachari Levi, Jaimie Alexander, etc....they're all having a good time, which is very fun to watch
-It knows that it's a silly movie
-It looks amazing. The attention to detail in the costumes is gorgeous.
-It hits all of the comedy notes perfectly. Seriously, the jokes are really, really good
-There are some great cameos

Cons:
-While certainly not bad, the story is pretty convoluted and you can see the plot holes from a mile away
-Natalie Portman is just, kind of...there. Not her fault. I just don't think they gave her character enough to do.

On the side:
-Renee Russo does not age
-Chris O'Dowd is in this!
-Obligatory after credits scene is the most compelling in a while

Really off the wall:
About thirty minutes in I though, "this is what Star Wars will look like." Seriously, the costuming, set design, and space ships are what you might imagine a JJ Abrams+Disney team up could look like.

TL;DR:
If you enjoy comic book movies at all you'll probably like this one.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13420 on: November 09, 2013, 06:49:49 PM »
Silent Running

A spaceship holding the Earth's last forests are told to destroy them and return home after the funding is cut, but the guy looking after the ship flips and kills his other crewmates to save the world's last forest.  Now alone and floating into the deep void of space, the gardener tries to save and maintain Earth's last forest.

Great movie... mostly.  The beginning is pretty cringe-inducing with some really over the top speechifying about how we don't respect our forests that feels like it was punched up by James Ngyen.  The other characters are also ridiculously and frustratingly one-note.  But once the character is alone, it becomes a much stronger, quieter movie.  There's still some unsubtle moments, but by turning it into a one man show (sort of) turns it into a MUCH stronger movie.  The Joan Baez movie is a bit cheesy for the movie (it works alright in the end credits) but at the same time, we have the main character struggling with what he did in order to save the last forest tells us that despite how one dimensional the other characters were, they didn't deserve to die and that their deaths weigh heavily on Bruce Dern.  It's funny: Dern commits so well, that when the character is written badly, his character is repellant and when the writing gets better, Dern is magnetic.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TckJBvl_uT0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TckJBvl_uT0</a>

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13421 on: November 09, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
I was okay with all the suspension of belief (and believe me, there's a lot of it) until the bat with flapping wings was flying into space. That kind of did it for me. That was one too many I guess.

That was one that also snapped me out of the movie for a second, but it wasn't a "last straw" for me so I got over it about as soon as they hit the ground.  It was kind of a slip up, there was no need to go that far, a fall from above the clouds, say 40,000 feet, would have kept belief from being stretched too far.  Maybe that's what they were going for but failed to add enough haze to the CGI so it looked like space as soon as they cleared the clouds.

There's also the size of the wings, all too common in CGI flying creatures.  That seems to be a problem with CGI, I guess when people had to build models they would size the wings to better match the size of the body, on the computer modern animators seem to lose that connection.  So when I see it I instantly think of Monty Python and "a question of weight ratios"...

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13422 on: November 09, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »
Silent Running

Great movie... mostly. 

I also watched this not too long ago... Full movie was on youtube if I recall correctly... Terribly dated... and holy god I wanted to hunt down Joan Baez... and it's message is far from subtle. Of course this is from a time when 'environmentalism' was getting 13 MPG and only dumping your industrial byproducts into the river at night, ya know, so the smell wouldn't piss off the neighbors. So the ecological messages seem terribly obvious to anybody who grew up from the 80s onward.

That said, I'll agree that it's a pretty good movie thanks to Dern. He was indeed magnetic in this one... delivering about all you can ask in playing a nervous breakdown victim... frequently off the rails but never quite crashing the train.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13423 on: November 10, 2013, 04:25:40 AM »
Manhattan

Not sure how I feel about this one.  There's a lot I like about it and a lot I don't, but I'm not sure how to take it as a whole.  It's very beautifully shot and there are lots of bon mots, but I really can't get invested in the characters to find it to effective.  I also have problems with the ending (which seems to be him saying "No, it's totally OK for me to bang a 17 year old girl."  The actual relationship bothers me less then how it plays out).  I do appreciate that the characters' crap is called out on and in the end, and all of the flaws of the characters become more apparent.  So largely, while I can appreciate what it accomplished, it left me cold.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3141
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13424 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
Caught Thor: The Dark World over the weekend. Loved it. Not my favorite Marvel movie franchise, but I liked this one better than the first. If you're the type to stay through the credits, make sure you stay through them all! The first easter-egg sequence happens during the credits, and most people seem to have caught that one, but a lot of people left before the second completely-after-the-credits sequence that adds just a smidgen of temporary closure to the romantic story-arc. Doesn't set up a future Marvel movie or anything major like that, but it was a nice touch.