login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585809 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13335 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
Captain Phillips

Tom Hanks delivers another really good performance and the unknowns that were cast as the Somali pirates more then hold their own. Much like director Greengrass' previous work on United 93, there is no cheerleader jingoism and no villainous bad guys with handlebar staches... No stark black and white extremes, just a well told story. The final act seemed to lag a little bit, as the movie already told us exactly how it was all going to end, but it seemed to take quite awhile to get there. Not sure this has to be seen on the big screen, but I could easily see Oscar nominations for both Hanks and Barkhad Abdi in the supporting category for his portrayal as the leader of the pirates.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 529
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13336 on: October 21, 2013, 11:44:50 PM »
Here we go:

The Conjuring

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Blood and Black Lace

You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #13337 on: October 22, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »
I saw Pitch Perfect a few days ago.  I liked it more than I thought I would.  Normally I really hate musicals.  I guess because the movie was actually about singing, the music seemed natural.  I normally wouldn't have given a movie like this a chance, but I saw that it starred Anna Kendrick, and I'll give anything with her a chance (well, except unriffed Twilight movies).  The plot seemed pretty standard and predictable, but the musical numbers were pretty catchy.

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #13338 on: October 22, 2013, 05:10:57 AM »
I also watched Fargo again yesterday.  I still don't understand why Jerry hatched this whole plan.  He seemed to need the money desperately for some reason; it wasn't just plain greed.  He wouldn't have taken that kind of risk for plain greed.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13339 on: October 22, 2013, 07:30:32 AM »
It's intentionally ambiguous, I think.  The meat of the movie isn't the motivation so much as it is how things can get really out of control and the ugly things people will do for what they feel are important reasons.  I love the final lines of the movie, showing a really decent and sincere protagonist (a rarity in Coen Bros movies) who at first appears naive, but is actually really clever.  Looking forward to the TV series, though I'm hoping it's less of a retelling of the movie and is just the further adventures of Marge Gunderson.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13340 on: October 22, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Stark's panic attacks were new.  Is that because of everything that happened in The Avengers?  I would have liked a little more development of that side plot, because it's the first real depth Stark has shown in the franchise, beyond the basic "I have to survive this crisis" or "I have to right this wrong" plots his character has gone through before.
Which is a shame because he's gone through a lot in the comics that should turn up in the movies, especially given who plays him.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13341 on: October 22, 2013, 11:37:03 AM »
Stark's panic attacks were new.  Is that because of everything that happened in The Avengers?  I would have liked a little more development of that side plot, because it's the first real depth Stark has shown in the franchise, beyond the basic "I have to survive this crisis" or "I have to right this wrong" plots his character has gone through before.
Which is a shame because he's gone through a lot in the comics that should turn up in the movies, especially given who plays him.
I think the closest we'll get to things like Demon In A Bottle storyline was the drunk irresponsible stuff from Iron Man 2.
Personally, I didn't buy the panic attack stuff in Iron Man 3 because Stark has already gone through being kidnapped by terrorists, almost dying and having a device implanted in his chest. If he didn't have panic attacks from that shit, he sure as hell shouldn't have them from an event where he had backup and ended up winning. It doesn't help how inconsistantly the movie handled them either.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13342 on: October 22, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
I think the closest we'll get to things like Demon In A Bottle storyline was the drunk irresponsible stuff from Iron Man 2.
Personally, I didn't buy the panic attack stuff in Iron Man 3 because Stark has already gone through being kidnapped by terrorists, almost dying and having a device implanted in his chest. If he didn't have panic attacks from that shit, he sure as hell shouldn't have them from an event where he had backup and ended up winning. It doesn't help how inconsistantly the movie handled them either.
You never know what will set someone off. Some people can be incredibly stable up until the breaking point, and then shit just starts going down. As far as your examples, those are real-world scenarios, more or less. While they may have been unexpected, they were certainly understandable. In Iron Man 3, though, he's been hanging out with real superhumans, and even a god or two, and it's making him realize that he's really got nothing on them. The power they have is always with them; he has to put on his armor. Not only that, but he helped stopped an alien invasion, and took a trip through a wormhole to see an entire alien fleet. I think it's perfectly reasonable that the man would start having panic attacks and a bit of an existential crisis after witnessing all that.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13343 on: October 22, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:34:55 PM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13344 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
I agree with your points.

I AM going to suggest (probably unpopularly) that when discussing the ending for any movie, even box-office record setting movies that came out over a year ago, that there is someone out there who hasn't seen it, and in a general purpose thread, it is incredibly easy to use the spoilers tag (as easy as pushing the button).

Yes, it's a long time ago, but when you COULD potentially avoid lessening someone's enjoyment and it's a button-pushes difference, why wouldn't you?

I would post the ending for Jaws, Casablanca, Halloween etc etc behind spoiler tags, simply because it's almost no-effort.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:26:24 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13345 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »
Fair enough point, there's several movies I haven't gotten around to that I wouldn't want spoiled, some of which I'm still met with a surprised "What do you mean you haven't seen it yet?"
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

• Big Montana
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #13346 on: October 22, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »

I AM going to suggest (probably unpopularly) that when discussing the ending for any movie, even box-office record setting movies that came out over a year ago, that there is someone out there who hasn't seen it, and in a general purpose thread, it is incredibly easy to use the spoilers tag (as easy as pushing the button).

Yes, it's a long time ago, but when you COULD potentially avoid lessening someone's enjoyment and it's a button-pushes difference, why wouldn't you?

I would post the ending for Jaws, Casablanca, Halloween etc etc behind spoiler tags, simply because it's almost no-effort.
Did you ever see The Sixth Sense?  In the end, it turns out Bruce Willis was bread the whole time.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13347 on: October 22, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »

Did you ever see The Sixth Sense?  In the end, it turns out Bruce Willis was bread the whole time.

3 week ban!
FINE

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #13348 on: October 22, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »

So THAT'S why he only interacted with the kid who can see toasts!

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13349 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:02 PM »
Yeah! The dead were rising all over the place! Get it? Like dough? Guys!?