Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584932 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13320 on: October 13, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Machete Kills

That was incredibly fun.  If there's a single complaint my wife and I had it was that there was less practical blood and gore effects.  As far as the performances, creativity, and pure insanity of the movie it was awesome.  I want the next sequel as soon as humanly possible.

I heard the title of the next one will be Machete Kills Again in Space.

Yes, yes it is.  There is already a trailer, it played at the beginning of this movie.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13321 on: October 13, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
Little late to the discussion but finally saw Gravity tonight (glad I saw it in 3D). Very intense. Sandra Bullock does an amaaazing job too. I haven't seen all her movies (most notably The Blind Side), but I wouldn't be surprised if this was her best dramatic role to date. I wish the academy would've waited to give her an Oscar for this role. The visuals, sfx & sound are all so well done too. I'm a sucker for minimalist movies, and this certainly qualifies. The movie it reminded me most of was actually Buried. Don't let that discourage anyone from seeing it. I imagine most will find Gravity 10x more powerful than Buried.

As for space accuracy... I'm not huge into space stuff, so I never rolled my eyes once. Even if I were, I can't imagine it detracting me from the movie.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13322 on: October 13, 2013, 09:17:23 PM »
Little late to the discussion but finally saw Gravity tonight (glad I saw it in 3D). Very intense. Sandra Bullock does an amaaazing job too. I haven't seen all her movies (most notably The Blind Side), but I wouldn't be surprised if this was her best dramatic role to date. I wish the academy would've waited to give her an Oscar for this role. The visuals, sfx & sound are all so well done too. I'm a sucker for minimalist movies, and this certainly qualifies. The movie it reminded me most of was actually Buried. Don't let that discourage anyone from seeing it. I imagine most will find Gravity 10x more powerful than Buried.

As for space accuracy... I'm not huge into space stuff, so I never rolled my eyes once. Even if I were, I can't imagine it detracting me from the movie.

I saw it last night and thought it was great, Sandra is bangin hot in bike shorts considering shes almost 50. 

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13323 on: October 14, 2013, 07:09:28 AM »
NOT TO 50!!!

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #13324 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:34 PM »
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance.

Watched it because it was directed by Park Chan-Wook (hope I spelled that right) director of Oldboy. I figured the story might be unique and unexpected as well, and it delivers on that, although not quite as enthralling as the previous film mentioned. Still it was a good watch though.

I meant to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance as well, it actually looked better, but it dropped off my queue when I went to go watch it. :( Anyone see it by any chance?

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13325 on: October 15, 2013, 10:39:41 PM »
I have a giant horror backlog here, so, spoilers all over to cut down the length:

It! The Terror from Beyond Space
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Phantasm

The Black Belly of the Tarantula

The Hole

More to come, when I can catch up.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:00:20 AM by Charles Hussein Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #13326 on: October 16, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »
I saw Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist last week.  It was a really boring movie.  It was predictable; I knew 10 minutes in how it would go.  Michael Cera will start to fall for Kat Dennings, then there will be a scene where the ex who broke his heart will want him back, and for a moment it will seem like he's going to go for it and the new girl will be disappointed, but then he'll change his mind.  It's such a stock story that I couldn't watch more than 30 minutes at a time without getting bored.  The movie has no arc or structure or anything.  It's just "a bunch of stuff happens for 90-120 minutes and then the credits roll."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13327 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »

The Hole

Great review of The Hole, Charles. I really like that movie. It's not Joe Dante's best, but it certainly shows that he's still got it and there is no reason he should be shoved out of the regular movie business like he is now.

Also good to see somebody else who doesn't like Phantasm. Aside from a very few cool things (The Tall Man himself, the silver spheres), the movie is a goddamn mess and CLEARLY has no idea what it is doing.

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #13328 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:44 PM »
Fugitive Alien. (the ktma cut)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13329 on: October 17, 2013, 01:12:01 AM »
21 Jump Street.

I'm a big fan of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs but this is/was still WAY better than it had any right to be.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #13330 on: October 17, 2013, 09:30:50 PM »
21 Jump Street.

I'm a big fan of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs but this is/was still WAY better than it had any right to be.

"Pound of Cocaine?"
re: "We wanna show them a good time, not ruin their lives"

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13331 on: October 18, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »
Star Trek: Into Darkness

Another fun action orientated entry in the Trek reboot. The big four of Kirk, Spock, Scotty and Bones are all starting to feel comfortable now... With the exception of Spock, who has had the most drastic character shift from the original source material, everybody else passes just fine as younger versions of the TOS crew. Urban continues to stand out with his stellar homage to DeForest Kelley. While Cumberbatch has undeniable presence as the villian, most of the Wrath of Khan parallels are clunky as best... and unfortunately the script doesn't give him a whole lot to do. Without his backstory with Kirk, any reason to call him "Kahn" is simply for convenience sake. Still, things move along at a brisk pace, the action scenes are well shot and easy to follow and everything is beautiful to look at. It's been over 15 years since a Trek movie actually had a good story to tell, but at least they have returned to churning out reliable popcorn flicks.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13332 on: October 19, 2013, 11:47:02 PM »
More from my October haul:

Event Horizon

A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Master

Trick 'r Treat

You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2660
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13333 on: October 20, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
I re-watched Event Horizon last month, having not watched it since 87, I agree %100 with it being massively stupid.  Thought on a bigger screen it would be more scary, but nope, still just stupid, and since I've seen more gore since 87 all the blood and guts were just boring.

Watched Pacific Rim last night (3D Blu-Ray).  Loved it, very fun movie.  3D conversions are usually disappointing but this one was done properly.  This is how you do a big dumb formulaic monster invasion movie.  Even the clich├ęs work, and there are a lot of them...

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13334 on: October 20, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »
Trick 'r Treat always gets my vote for the absolute best Halloween-related movie. Everything about it (premise, story, characters, designs, etc.) is so entwined with the holiday that it simply couldn't exist without it. It's fun, it's scary, and it's practically bleeding orange and black (but not in an overbearing way). I love it to pieces, and always force others to watch it around this time of year.

I also love the heck out of Event Horizon (it's a freaky movie, and I will never get tired of seeing Sam Neill do genre films), but even I would be hard pressed to defend its intellectual side.