login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1556514 times)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13260 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »
I saw Outbreak last week.  I like pandemic movies that don't involve zombies.  I saw this when I was a teenager and liked it more then.  I guess that, like Deep Impact and Independence Day, I was too young to realize how cheesy it was.

I guess it's still an okay movie, but the climactic conflict seems completely arbitrarily manufactured.  Dustin Hoffman says they have a cure, but Donald Sutherland is so hell bent on containing the disease that he won't listen and is going to bomb the town.  It makes such little sense that the President would authorize this bombing... the outbreak is only a week old and they have all the resources they need to shore up the quarantine so that nobody can leave town.  They had pretty much perfectly sealed up the town already; their containment can only get better.  More troops, more heavy military vehicles, more razor wire fences and concrete barriers.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13261 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:56 AM »
2% of critics are with you on that one.

Argumentum ad auctoritatem is one of the logical fallacies.
I saw ads for it. It looks like a lame-ass character drama.  Fuck that.

I agree.  That's precisely why I'm interested:)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13262 on: October 04, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »
Rotten Tomatoes gave gravity 98% pretty impressive, I might have to check it out tonight.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13263 on: October 04, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

Good! Then we're in agreement.  Can you understand why I'm not?

Of course.  You're not a fan of dramas.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13264 on: October 04, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »

I mentioned it above, but I'll say it again: the movie is much more of an action/thriller than a drama.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13265 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »

I mentioned it above, but I'll say it again: the movie is much more of an action/thriller than a drama.
I didn't read your post since you saw the movie.  Until I see it tonight, you're dead to me :)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #13266 on: October 04, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
I didn't read your post since you saw the movie.  Until I see it tonight, you're dead to me :)

That's the sort of thinking I heartily endorse in situations like this 8)

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #13267 on: October 04, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
I saw Prisoners last night, and it almost made me lose the will to live.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5121
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13268 on: October 04, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »

You saw VERY different ads then I did.  Because the ads I saw were about people in a horrifyingly hopeless and desperate situation.

Anyway, I didn't make it properly clear, and I apologize for that: 98% doesn't mean the majority is correct.  I think of it as gambling odds.  Now, I'm sure there's a logical flaw there too that I'm missing, but I find it to be a good rule when seeing a movie that a higher percentage of good reviews (as in not just a high number of people who enjoy it, but a high number of people with a critical eye).  I will often see a movie with a weak looking trailer or bad marketing if the film has gotten a high number of good reviews. There are movies I love that got panned in their initial release (The Thing) and there are movies I don't like that got a high number of good reviews, such as Paranormal Activity and the movie I saw last night...

The Conjuring

Another movie that doesn't do much beyond say boo.  There is one genuinely scary moment, but everything else relies on "boo"s.  There are few good "horror" movies that are based on a "true" story.  I could overlook that except it is very hard to take the ghost hunting protagonists seriously due to the fact that everyone immediately buys into it.  The way the exposition comes out is super-clumsy.  When a ghost hunter tells someone about his wife's psychic powers in a dull "this is how it works" way and the guy he's talking to just buys it and there really isn't much beyond that.  All the character stuff is so cheese ball that there is really nothing going on.  I think that the fact that the characters are so dull, that I am completely uninvested in everything that goes on.

Also, Patrick Wilson reminds me of a humourless, boring, handsome version of Bob Odenkirk.  Now I want him to be a villain in the movie, so someone can say:

"What's it like to be a deadman.  Praying to God won't help you.  Your killer, Bob Odenkirk!"

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5121
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13269 on: October 04, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
And the ads I saw were, well, to quote Patton Oswalt's review tweets:

"Holy fuck, GRAVITY.  Holy fucking fuck.  FUCK. (You can use that on the poster if you want)."

"If you can't see GRAVITY in IMAX and 3-D then don't bother. Wait. It's worth it."

Also, I like this comment he made:

"The only resemblance between GRAVITY and OPEN WATER is that there are space-sharks. Other than that, wholly original."

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #13270 on: October 04, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
Yeah, GRAVITY is good. But if you are scientifically-minded person like me, you will notice numerous science-related issues. Still very entertaining and awesome 3-D.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13271 on: October 04, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
I trust my initial reactions to movies.  If it looks interesting, I'll watch it.  I rarely read reviews of movies I haven't already seen.  I think critics like and dislike movies for entirely the wrong reasons.

I make an effort to do the exact opposite (when reviewed well), there are so many movies I wasn't interested in seeing but was so happy to have seen. I had no desire to see Fargo but it is my second favorite movie of all time and all the Cohen bros. films followed suit.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13272 on: October 04, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
Gravity

Absolutely stunning. It's one of the most impressive pieces of filmmaking I've seen in quite a while. It is about as tense as I've ever been watching a movie. And yes, I did catch myself holding my breath multiple times throughout. And Sandra Bullock did a really good job.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #13273 on: October 04, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »
Yeah, GRAVITY is good. But if you are scientifically-minded person like me, you will notice numerous science-related issues. Still very entertaining and awesome 3-D.

I can say with authority that other scientifically-minded people actually found it pretty solid.

And by authority, I mean astronauts: http://www.chud.com/144761/interview-nasa-astronaut-mike-massimino-gravity/

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13274 on: October 04, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »

I can say with authority that other scientifically-minded people actually found it pretty solid.

And by authority, I mean astronauts: http://www.chud.com/144761/interview-nasa-astronaut-mike-massimino-gravity/