login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1527309 times)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13140 on: September 14, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
"Now You See Me" was much better I thought it would be. There are definitely parts where it's struggling to make itself make sense, but they pull it off. Has some really cool Ocean's Eleven style heist stuff. The ending has some problems to be sure. I wouldn't say the route they took was bad, just not good. It's probably worth watching if the trailer looked interesting to you though.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13141 on: September 14, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »
The A-Team (2010) - Some of it was fun, but far far too much stupid covering it up. When the LEAST interesting character in an A-Team movie is B. A. Baracas, you know you've done something wrong. They make him a peacenik for no goddamn reason, and he isn't in his recognizable Mohawk fro most of it. That is just stupid! And it's the fault of the movie deliberately keeping him from having anything to do, not the fact they didn't hire an actor. Murdock is both annoying and funny, sometimes in the same scene. He does have the best lines, though. Liam Neeson really pulls this off, I give him a lot of credit for not just sleepwalking through this role. And Jessica Biel...was completely non-threatening, a huge waste of casting.

MightyJack

« Reply #13142 on: September 15, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »
Blue Jasmine
Cate Blanchett is my favorite actress, but it’s been awhile since she’s taken a meaty starring role, and she makes her return smartly - paired with one of cinema's greatest screenwriters in Woody Allen. She’s phenomenal; this has Oscar nomination written all over it. There’s a hint of Blanche Dubois in the part, there’s humor and gut wrenching sadness as Allen gives us the tale of a woman who has watched her life fall into ruin (the lies people tell to others, to themselves in a constant theme)

Outstanding – one of the best films of the year.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #13143 on: September 15, 2013, 04:04:13 PM »

The story of Jackie Robinson.  It made me ashamed to be white.  Sure, people try to play down this racism and say its over.  But I live in an area that its still very much alive.

I liked it.  Harrison Ford is good.  And Alan Tudyk is good as a racist dick.  I like him, don't think he gets enough respect as an actor.

Bachlorette

Rebel Wilson is getting married and her 3 best friends from high school come.  The slut, the flake, and Kirsten Dunst.  Not really sure what to call her.  Anyway, they rip the wedding dress and scramble to fix it. 

Pretty good.  Lizzy Caplan is awesome and is another actor who doesn't get enough respect.  And Adam Scott is hot.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13144 on: September 16, 2013, 07:37:17 PM »
Timecop
Probably one of Van Damne's better efforts, which is to say it's shit... but entertaining shit. Ron Silver is always a reliable scenery chewer when playing a villain... and he is great here. The movie has more ridiculous time paradox plot holes in 20 minutes then the Back to the Future series had in three movies... but none of it matters. Van Damme is busting out corny action movie one liners and delivering splits and roundhouse kicks within minutes of seeing his wife blown up by a bomb... Good old fashioned action movie pulp.

Twin Dragons
A lesser entry from Jackie Chan's Hong Kong catalog. Here he plays twin brothers who are separated at birth. One brother grows up in Hong Kong as a kung-fu wizard street racing mechanic or something... The other brother grows up in NYC and becomes a world renowned pianist. ... and sometimes they can make the other one twitch while they perform physical activities. There is a bad guy, then a little while later there is another bad guy who is the boss of the other bad guy... and betting on street races that aren't shown on camera are involved... and there are love interests... and very little of it makes much sense. Chan mugs for the camera as he always does, complete with cheap compositing FX for double mugging twin brother action! There are some funny moments, as there is always some charm involved in Chan's schtick... but the action scenes are bit pedestrian by his standards. This is probably something that not even die hard fans of the guy would recommend.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4989
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13145 on: September 16, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »
Brick

A fantastic movie.  If you don't know, it's a noir movie that takes place at a high school.  A high school troublemaker finds himself having to solve the mystery of a dead ex-girlfriends that leads him to face with an angry assistant vice principal, a kingpin who lives with his mother and his violent and angry right hand man.

BTW, the director just did that amazing last episode of Breaking Bad.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13146 on: September 19, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
^also The Brother's Bloom & Looper.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13147 on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
Enduring Love

A just OK movie.  Nothing wrong, per se, but just an OK adaptation of the book.  There are some really well done scenes, but it feels a little detached and cold.  I like that it doesn't pigeon-hole itself as a thriller, which would have been easy to do.  I also implies that even though he saved his ex-girlfriend, that relationship is over.  That said, the film's coda is really stupid and pointless.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13148 on: September 20, 2013, 03:25:45 AM »
Finally got around to finishing Dredd, I watched about half of it seems like a year ago and was just too tired to keep going.  When I saw it was on Netflix I gave it another try, and I'm glad I did.  Its like the complete opposite of the horrible Stallone version.  Brutal, bloody, dark as hell and gripping to watch.  It definitely makes me want to get my hands on some of the 2000 AD comics.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13149 on: September 20, 2013, 05:21:54 AM »
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Again, another movie that I really really liked that was a bit overhyped.  So, I didn't like it as much as a lot of people, but I still thought it was really good,  It was very funny and had a few really great laugh out loud moments (the cat video might be one of my favourite things ever.  It also reminded me why it was a simultaneously a damned shamed Clone High got cancelled and why it was also a boon so that it allowed them to do some great big screen works.

The voice work in this one is also top notch.  I didn't recognize Bruce Campbell as the Mayor, and he did a great understated yet hilarious job on it, and even Mr. T did fine in what could have been silly, injoke stunt casting.  I like that these guys have their own voice on projects that could have easily just cashed in on source material with little effort (like this film based on a popular children's book or their big screen adaptation of 21 Jump Street).  Makes me look forward to the Lego Movie a lot more than anyone should have the right to.

EDIT: Oh, and Miller and Lord also did the pilot for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, so watch that.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:26:22 AM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13150 on: September 20, 2013, 06:03:16 AM »
Finally got around to finishing Dredd, I watched about half of it seems like a year ago and was just too tired to keep going.  When I saw it was on Netflix I gave it another try, and I'm glad I did.  Its like the complete opposite of the horrible Stallone version.  Brutal, bloody, dark as hell and gripping to watch.  It definitely makes me want to get my hands on some of the 2000 AD comics.
I liked DREDD. But I liked the visual aesthetic of the 90s movie better. And Stallone was better casting for Judge Dredd, he had the voice and chin for it. Karl Urban was good character wise, but he had this "frowny face" he was putting on the whole time that looked silly and got distracting after a while.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13151 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
Too be fair, the Dredd of the comic also had a silly frowny face.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13152 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:50 AM »
Yeah, but for a movie (especially one going for a more "gritty realistic" feel), it felt out of place.

Which reminds me, I still need to the The Raid, as that is supposed to be even better.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #13153 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:36 AM »
I saw "Deadly Friend", Wes Craven's 1986 sci-fi/horror film about a girl who gets a robot's processor implanted in her brain and starts killing people.

So I remember I saw this movie shortly after its release.  It couldn't have been at release because we watched it at home, but it couldn't have been too long after because I was a little kid, either 6 or 7 years old.

I didn't remember a lot about this movie, just some of the basics:

1) There was a yellow robot with a round head.
2) Something happened to the robot.
3) The robot was reincarnated inside a girl.
4) The girl kills someone by throwing a basketball at that person's head.

Point 4 is a rather famous scene in the movie.  The basketball makes this crotchety old woman's head completely explode.  Seeing that had a profound impact on a little kid who didn't know much.  See, after that, I thought that could actually happen, and spent years being terrified of basketballs.

I hadn't thought much about the movie or even remembered the title until yesterday, when Cracked mentioned it in an article.  After that, I had to see it.  What a gloriously dumb movie.  What a stupid ending.  I guess the robot processor also reconfigured the girl's physiology somehow?????  Like it also created Borg nanoprobes or something?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13154 on: September 20, 2013, 08:57:36 PM »
Here's hoping that it gets a VOD some day.