Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584632 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13080 on: August 25, 2013, 05:46:16 AM »
Shallow Grave

Man, I love Danny Boyle.  It doesn't quite hold up exactly as well as I remember, but it is still very good with a cracking final act.  I don't know what Boyle is up to next, but I'd love to see him do another thriller.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13081 on: August 25, 2013, 06:45:50 AM »
Shallow Grave

Man, I love Danny Boyle.  It doesn't quite hold up exactly as well as I remember, but it is still very good with a cracking final act.  I don't know what Boyle is up to next, but I'd love to see him do another thriller.

Did you see Trance? I didn't, but I thought it was supposed to be a thriller.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13082 on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
The World's End - The direction is good, the characters are great and I loved the humor. But the overall idea behind the alien takeover felt very much like an ignorant conservative's diatribe against Political Correctness. I know Edgar Wright isn't that stupid, he doesn't lean to the right politically.  So it probably wasn't intended. I think it was more against the corporatization of sf everyday things. But it did prevent me from enjoying the movie as much as I otherwise would have.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:26:04 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13083 on: September 01, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
Did I break the thread?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13084 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:22 AM »
I think everyone's doing what I'm doing, where I watch a ton of movies but am too lazy to write about them, and instead just wait around for someone else to write something that I can agree/disagree with.

Speaking of which, I love love loved The World's End, but I'm not quite seeing what you're seeing in regards to the ending :P

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #13085 on: September 01, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
I think everyone's doing what I'm doing, where I watch a ton of movies but am too lazy to write about them, and instead just wait around for someone else to write something that I can agree/disagree with.

Truth.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #13086 on: September 01, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
I haven't been watching many movies and really do need to catch up

Admission

Cute generic comedy with Tina Fey as a Princeton admissions officer and Paul Rudd as a sexy teacher trying to get a student into the school.

Of course, Rudd plays the sexy character in just about every movie he's in
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline modelmeg

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #13087 on: September 01, 2013, 04:48:53 PM »
All the movies I've been watching recently are from Rifftrax or MST3K so I post in those other threads.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13088 on: September 01, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »
Yeah, I also saw Worlds End, and thought it was a perfect addition to the trillogy.  Awesome stuff.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2651
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13089 on: September 01, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
Well, since you asked, here's what I watched in the last month (Most recent first):

Prince Avalanche - One of my favourites of the year so far, so delightfully odd. Paul Rudd is a less likable loser than usual, but it's a great performance.

Red Heat - Just dreadful. Belushi, who is clearly meant to be the cut-up, is a miserable, whining, smug nothing. I pity anyone who saw this at the cinema.

On the Waterfront - Really fantastic to see a Brando movie before he became a joke. The whole cast is excellent. Really enjoyed this.

Yojimbo - I think this might be my favourite Kurosawa film so far (which is really saying something). Probably going to watch the remake sometime soon (Last Man Standing) though that's the same director as Red Heat, so my enthusiasm has dropped.

The Three Caballeros - Really fun, under-appreciated Disney film. Beautiful designs.

3:10 to Yuma - Happened to watch it the day of Elmore Leonard's death, not realizing it was written by him. Great film, I think I prefer Glen Ford as a bad guy. Always stayed away from Westerns, but we've been really getting into them lately.

Clear History - If you like Curb Your Enthusiasm, you'll like this, if you don't, you won't. I really enjoyed it, felt like what Larry David needed to add a bit of freshness to his work. In fact, I think he should stop doing Curb and just do one of these stand alone movies every year or two.

Niagara - This was fantastic fun. A kind of similar feel to Vertigo in some ways.

The Magician - A lesser Bergman, but still a lot of fun. It was slow to start, but it really comes together at the end and I really ended up enjoying it.

Jack the Giant Slayer - Can't believe I even finished this.

Celeste & Jesse Forever - Eh.

Shaun of the Dead - Still great.

Little Caesar - Pretty dated, but it did some really interesting things, and you can see the influence it had. Edward G Robinson was excellent, and it's not surprising he never really managed to shake the role.

Mud - My current favourite of the year.

True Grit - (Original) Felt a lot more like a family movie than I thought it would. Wayne is great in it, but I think I prefer the remake in the end.

Take Shelter - What a heavy movie. Very interesting, and fantastic performances.

Sweet Smell of Success - I have seen this three or four times now. I love it a lot. What a bunch of creeps. The Criterion print is beautiful.

Kagemusha - This is considered one of the most beautiful colour movies ever made, and it's hard to disagree. Not his best film, but still good.

Damsels in Distress - Fun, and surprisingly absurd. I like the way the two main characters are set up to be the one you like and the one you hate and you have a complete reversal.

There's No Business Like Show Business - Dreadful. Just dreadful.
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2660
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13090 on: September 01, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
Red Heat - Just dreadful. Belushi, who is clearly meant to be the cut-up, is a miserable, whining, smug nothing. I pity anyone who saw this at the cinema.
Kind of sad that the Linda Blair exploitation movie with the same name is more watchable.

Is this really that bad?  The 3D version is on sale at Amazon this week so I have it in my cart, mostly because I've heard the 3D is good and I haven't had a reason to use the 3D on my TV in a few months.  But if the movie sucks that bad I won't bother...

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13091 on: September 01, 2013, 07:33:33 PM »
Red Rock West

A good southern noir with Nicholas Cage.  It's a little cliched, but still makes for a fun watch.  The set-up is the best part of the movie, and then it moves into more conventional noir territory.  Still, it's pretty good and has some nice surprises (although all the best ones are in the first half).

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2651
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13092 on: September 01, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »

Is this really that bad?  The 3D version is on sale at Amazon this week so I have it in my cart, mostly because I've heard the 3D is good and I haven't had a reason to use the 3D on my TV in a few months.  But if the movie sucks that bad I won't bother...

Well, different strokes and all that - I really thought it was a waste of time. The humour is so juvenile, the story is dull and predictable. Maybe rent it first?
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13093 on: September 01, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »

Well, different strokes and all that - I really thought it was a waste of time. The humour is so juvenile, the story is dull and predictable. Maybe rent it first?

I'll second this opinion. It was a plain, uninteresting movie with lackluster effects and even more lackluster... well, everything else (save perhaps for Ewan McGregor, who really does give it his all). A rental at best.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13094 on: September 01, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »
Does the CGI on the giants look better than it did in the trailer? Because that was not very good.