Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1587884 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13065 on: August 17, 2013, 08:50:53 PM »
Soloman Kane - I liked it. It's a good actioner, if a bit unnecessarily convoluted. Not being familiar with the pulp stories themselves, I don't know if this was part of them. I thought it was unnecessary to have be evil and violent, then renounce violence to save his soul (more in a "save my own ass" way than a penitent way, really), only to be brought back into violence again.
  James Purefoy does a good job here with what he's given. Although he does seem to be cast because of his resemblance to Hugh Jackman at times.
  The sets and in particular the practical makeup effects are REALLY good here. Unfortunately the CGI is mostly utter shit. Although  I did at least like the designs of the wraith things at the beginning, they were cool. The final fiery demon was neat in a videogame boss battle kinda way.
  I also really liked that the woman he is trying to save is not because he is in love with her, but because he promised to. However, I have no idea WHY her father, a simple man, was somehow qualified to promise that one task of saving her would completely redeem Kane's soul.
  While it might not have been great, I don't know why it sat on a shelf for so long. The CGI is really the only thing that isn't theater release quality about it, and that hasn't stopped other movies.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #13066 on: August 17, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »
Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Cute.  The real stand out for me was Jim Carrey.  Excellent douchey Mindfreak thing going on.   
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13067 on: August 17, 2013, 09:35:40 PM »
Phantom of the Paradise.  Last week when we saw Repo! at Alamo Drafthouse, this was a vintage trailer that they showed beforehand, and it looked so bizarre we had to check out the full movie.  For the curious, it's a Brian De Palma flim set in the not-too-distant dystopian future of the 1970s involving a songwriter who creates a kind of pop-opera based on Faust...then ends up in a mashing of plots somewhere between Faust and Phantom of the Opera with a smidge of Dorian Grey added in at the end for good measure.  His music gets stolen by the evil Swan, a producer played by Paul Williams who both is and isn't the devil.  Then the composer gets falsely imprisoned, breaks free, gets horribly disfigured by a record pressing machine, and haunts Swan's new music club.  Erica and I were already considering riffing it based on the trailer, but now that we've seen it we're not so sure.  There's a ton of music (and it ain't bad music either) and while the visuals are completely insane they are mostly pulled off well.  I'm pretty surprised I didn't know about it earlier.  I'm sure this is a cult film, but until recently I've never come across that particular cult.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13068 on: August 17, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

Cute.  The real stand out for me was Jim Carrey.  Excellent douchey Mindfreak thing going on.
I still need to see this. Very disappointed that apparently Steve Buscemi's parts is so small he is almost never mentioned in any of the reviews.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13069 on: August 19, 2013, 07:12:38 PM »
Kick Ass (the first one)

Pretty fun. Nice to see a superhero movie throw all of the established tropes out the window. Now I can go see 2, which I heard is pretty good as well.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13070 on: August 20, 2013, 04:52:54 AM »
To Live and Die in L.A.

I'm not sure what I think about this one.  Of course, I was having a difficult time staying awake so it wasn't the best conditions to watch it.  A mastermind counterfeiter ends up killing a member of the secret service (who's other job is counterfeit investigator) and his ex-partner decides to avenge him.  Unfortunately, his ex-partner is essentially human scum and is willing to break all the rules to do it.  And not in the fun Dirty Harry way.  It's pretty interestingly structured, though the very dated Wang Chung soundtrack is very hit and miss (sometimes the music is inappropriate).  Probably the strongest bits involve our protagonist dragging down his straightlaced partner into his misdeeds in order to get close to the murderer.  Interesting, but I wasn't in the best mood to properly consider if I actually like it or not.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #13071 on: August 20, 2013, 08:32:31 AM »

I still need to see this. Very disappointed that apparently Steve Buscemi's parts is so small he is almost never mentioned in any of the reviews.

It was OK.  Had a few funny moments.  Will agree with the comment about Jim Carrey.  He pulls off being a douche very well. 

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13072 on: August 20, 2013, 10:03:22 AM »
I actually laughed at Burt Wonderstone.  That really surprised me.

Steve Buscemi has a good deal of screen time.  He is great in it.

My favorite moments were the sleeping on coals trick, and the end credits.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #13073 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:11 AM »
went and saw elysium today. good; not as good as district 9, but good nonetheless. although, what the hell accent was jodie foster trying for? ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13074 on: August 21, 2013, 12:47:08 AM »
The World's End

Unsuprisingly this is brilliant.  I've got mixed feelings about the coda but overall brilliant and possibly my favourite of the trilogy, time and repeated rewatches will tell I suppose. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:07:12 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13075 on: August 21, 2013, 02:27:14 AM »
Riki Oh: The Story of Ricky

If you haven't seen this, you are missing one of the best bad movies ever.  It's also one of the goriest (it would make a good rifftrax presents with the right host) and despite the bad gore effects, it is definitely still cringe-inducing.  It's pulpiness also makes it kind of addictive.  This Chinese movie is based on the Japanese comic also called Riki-Oh (or "Power King") and follows a martial artist (clearly ripped off from Fist of the North Star) who essentially punches his way through a maximum security prison of super-martial artists and evil guards (and of course, the super-evil Warden) until everyone explodes in an orgy of blood.  Yeah, I know it sounds off-putting (and will be for many), but it is so gonzo yet goofball it becomes fun.  It sure has hell doesn't slow down (except for the flashback scenes, which again are hilarious).

Here are some scenes.  Warning, it's gory (You know when someone says "I'll beat you into hamburger"?  That LITERALY HAPPENS!), but if that doesn't bother you, then you'll have a lot of fun.
NSFW
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lbzbyg3olQI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Lbzbyg3olQI</a>

BTW, if you want to see a hilarious non-gory scene, go to 3:20 of the video.  When the body hits the ground, you can turn it off.  The last scene starting at 6:24 is pretty good too.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 530
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13076 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:37 AM »
Phantom of the Paradise. 
Mega-classic!
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13077 on: August 24, 2013, 12:23:08 AM »
Just got back from seeing The World's End. VERY funny and VERY weird. It gets progressively weird, but the humor keeps it going. Kinda reminded me of "Dude, Where's My Car?" in the sense (and the only sense, mind you) of how the ridiculousness keeps escalating exponentially and it may be geared to/modeled after some imbibing. Definitely would not recommend it to everyone, but it'll be quite grand for any fans of Pegg/Frost/Wright.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13078 on: August 24, 2013, 02:20:17 AM »
Project A

A Jackie Chan film that is sort of in the Police Academy vein (at least in the first and final acts), albeit with badass fights and taking place in old Hong Kong (it's not entirely clear when, but it seems to be in the 1920's, since there is a reference to a submarine.  Jackie plays a marine who finds that the coast guard has been disbanded after pirates blow up all but one ship.  The marines are forced to join the police for under the well-intentioned but needlessly strict Yuen Bieo (yeah, I don't know who he is either).  Tired of abuse, he ends up quitting and ends up meeting old friend Sammo Hung as a thief.  He's convinced to help him, but changes this mind after realizing Sammo is less Robin Hood than jerk criminal.  It all ends on a big battle with Jackie, Yuen and Sammo taking on a badass pirate and his army.  It's pretty great and it has a fantastic set piece involving Jackie being chased by crooks on bicycles.  There is also some bad dubbing in the version I saw, but that didn't ruin a really good running gag at the end regarding disguises and passwords.  Fun stuff!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-Fl43rq3Zqw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-Fl43rq3Zqw</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13079 on: August 25, 2013, 12:10:42 AM »
Just watched Disney's "The Sword in the Stone" for the first time in a long time. I don't know why this one isn't held up on the same pedestal as Sleeping Beauty. The animation doesn't look quite as pretty, but the characters are so expressive and the writing bestows them all with so much personality. I love the philosophical banter between Merlin and Archemedes, and the wizard's duel is such an awesome scene.