login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1555227 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13020 on: August 02, 2013, 06:14:48 AM »
I will say there were some occasional good jokes (and I feel some of the sketch premises are funny and interesting, but played in a disappointingly lifeless way.
Yep that pretty much sums up AWOTM; it's series of wasted opportunities with occasional good moments (which are pretty short lived).

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13021 on: August 02, 2013, 07:52:34 AM »
I will say there were some occasional good jokes (and I feel some of the sketch premises are funny and interesting, but played in a disappointingly lifeless way.
Yep that pretty much sums up AWOTM; it's series of wasted opportunities with occasional good moments (which are pretty short lived).

One of those movies that didn't quite live up to the nostalgia of watching it on cable as a 14 year old.... But the few parts that do find home have stayed with me ever since... To this day I'll occasionally find myself singing "Joy to the World" in classic Don "No Soul" Simmons style... And every time I get back-to-back wrong number calls I choke back the urge to scream "LOOK, THE BITCH DON'T LIVE HERE!!" ala a pre-talkshow Arsenio...

Zombie Monty

« Reply #13022 on: August 02, 2013, 09:08:49 PM »
The Canyons

Was hoping for a cross of The Room and Showgirls.  Got a muddled mess that was not as funny and/or interesting as either of those films.  Good luck to this one reaching any kind of cult status, which is what I guess they are pushing for now.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13023 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »
Blow

It's so slow. It's an interesting story, I just wish it was an interesting movie.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #13024 on: August 03, 2013, 04:26:24 PM »
Had a babysitter and made the most of it with an actual theater double feature- Red 2 and Lone Ranger

Loved Red 2 as it was exactly the movie I was expecting when I went to see it.  I was a little sad that Morgan Freeman wasn't in this one but the movie was funny enough to entertain throughout.

Lone Ranger- Meh.  There were funny parts but it was essentially just another Pirates movie on horses instead of boats.  I don't know what it is with these movies but there's always a 20 minute section in the middle that tries it's hardest to put you to sleep. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13025 on: August 03, 2013, 09:57:19 PM »
Clue

This movie gets weaker every time I see it.  It has a great final act, but the slapstick near the beginning feels shoehorned in (I feel like there was much less of it but then the studio insisted on it) with the exception of the great physical comedy Tim Curry provides in the aforementioned final act.  Some of the jokes also feel like they were written badly with the idea to fill it in with better lines later and they didn't get around too it (The worst offender is a scene where Col. Mustard literally says "I can't deal with any more scares" before a scary thing happens.  It feels like a child trying to emulate adult humour and not quite getting it.)  The incredible cast does what they can though, and doing a great job.  It feels like it could have been the great movie that everyone remembers as a child if they were able to clean up the writing a bit and get a more consistent tone, either make it wackier or more subdued.  Or more like the final act, that ties things together really well, or at least sustains the illusion of it.  It's a shame such a great cast have to carry around 3 clunkers for each genuine bon mot.  I do love that scene where they find Yvette dead and, simply exhausted, just look and move on to the next room.  It's so well played, I wished they carried it to the next body. 

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #13026 on: August 04, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
La Strada. Possibly my favorite Fellini film now.

I'm currently watching The Insider.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #13027 on: August 04, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
Excision http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1984153/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 - Part horror, part comedy, part family drama this is one bizarre movie.  Highly recommended.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3561
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13028 on: August 05, 2013, 06:41:32 AM »
The Lone Ranger
I think I figured out a good way to describe it. You know that scene from the second pirates movie, when they are having that highly improbable chase with the water wheel that defies any physics?  It's like a 2.5 hour version of that scene.

Overall, the action was stupid, there were many boring parts, Johnny Depp did nothing interesting, the main girl had creepy duck lips, it was racist, it had a pointless bookend, and the jokes seemed like they were written by Jay Leno.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13029 on: August 05, 2013, 08:18:21 AM »
I actually thought Clue held up quite well the last time I saw it... I suppose as with most comedies there are some gags / lines that don't quite hit home... But it's just so much fun, and as you mentioned a great cast, it still worked as well for me a few years ago as it did when I saw it as a kid.

History of the World: Part 1

The Spanish Inquisition musical number is still fun... and there are great moments sprinkled throughout, with French Revolution being clearly the strongest segment. Madeline Kahn and Bea Arthur bit roles are probably the only really funny aspects of the Roman segment that largely fell flat.  A lot of jokes were recycled from earlier, superior Brooks movies and the whole thing is a little too slapdash for it's own good. Not a terrible comedy by any means, but clearly not up to snuff compared to Brooks' superior output from the 1970s. The last half hour or so is the only consistent chunk offering any real inspired writing.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13030 on: August 05, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »
Yeah, Clue still holds up quite well. It does take a bit to get going, but once the blackmail scene in the study really takes off, it stays pretty consistently funny throughout.

Murder By Death, on the other hand, was a fair bit dryer than I remember. I still like it, but it definitely takes its sweet time hitting a stride.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 255
« Reply #13031 on: August 05, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »
The Conjuring
The wife really wanted to see it. Was pretty much what I expected- another in a current string of low budget haunted house movies where all the intended frights come from things jumping out at you. Wasn't terrible, but I found it rather boring for long stretches so I can't recommend it. And I don't get how it earned the R rating.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13032 on: August 06, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »

The Conjuring and The Wolverine.

Really liked them both :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13033 on: August 06, 2013, 09:47:53 PM »
The Big Sleep. Whew... that's a lotta plot. I don't think I've ever encountered a movie that gets this dense and wrapped up since I watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Luckily it's still a completely engaging and intriguing noir picture, with Humphrey Bogart as infinitely watchable and suave as ever. It helps that the movie is less about the plot in and of itself (certainly not when characters are introduced as important and then murdered a scene later), but more about Bogart just weeding his way through the seedy side of old world Hollywood. It's a damn fine, smart movie, and also serves as a reminder to me that I need to watch a lot more noir films (and movies directed by Howard Hawks, for that matter).

I've also been going over my Favorite Movies Ever list (because I'm just the sort of person who keeps careful, obsessive track over such a thing. By which I mean I've got it printed out and laminated as a handy pocket card), rewatching a few movies to see what still makes the cut and what needs to be added on. Which has the added bonus of giving me a solid chance to rewatch movies I haven't seen in years (some back when I was just starting to really get really interested in movies), all to see if I still love them as much as I remember, or more/less so. To keep things brief: Big Fish, Dawn of the Dead, and Pan's Labyrinth stay on; F for Fake, Gone Baby Gone, Bad Taste, Howl's Moving Castle, and Burn After Reading are off; and Apollo 13, Spirited Away, Apocalypse Now, and Once Upon a Time in the West are added on as new additions. Up tonight on the chopping block: Hellboy II (it's got good odds to stay in my favor, especially since I'm in the mood for some solid fantasy action at the moment).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13034 on: August 06, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
The Big Sleep. Whew... that's a lotta plot. I don't think I've ever encountered a movie that gets this dense and wrapped up since I watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Watch the 1945 version sometime, it fills in a lot of the plot holes, but has less Bacall.  They cut some of the exposition scenes to add more stuff with Bacall that was shot later.  They also axed quite a bit of the other lead actress because they thought she was overshadowing Bacall.  The extra exposition does slow things down a bit, so the theatrical release is a better movie I think, but they are both great.