Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585460 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12930 on: July 09, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
Yeah, I never saw Despicable Me, but it had my strong interest until they showed the trailer that revealed, "And now he has to raise kids!" I love movies where you're rooting for the villain because the hero's such a tool. It's such a guilty pleasure to root for the bad guy. If they'd played the movie from that angle, they would have had me and I'd probably be lining up for the sequel. Don't make the bad guy good. Make the hero worse!

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12931 on: July 09, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
We don't need character growth in a character we already like the way he is.

Well actually you do, or else there is no story, but I understand what you mean
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12932 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
Story =/= character growth.

The only example of that I can think of is the Mission Impossible TV series.  We know practically nothing about the characters throughout the entire series.  It's the reason Nimoy gives for leaving the show even though it was a hit, it got boring playing that same guy over and over.  I can't think of any other movie or show where they don't try to do at least something with the characters to change them in some way.  Maybe Seinfeld?

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12933 on: July 09, 2013, 12:49:19 PM »

Sorry, there would be no action/conflict/drama that happens. Because people grow whenever anything happens. Often despite any desire to grow on their part.

Without any character growth then it's either unrealistic or like starring at a plastic bag in the wind....
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:52:16 PM by anais.butterfly »
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12934 on: July 09, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
Only exceptions I can think of are shows like The Simpsons, where the promise is everyone will be exactly the same the next week.

But even then, character growth happens. They just hit the reset button on it every episode.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12935 on: July 09, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

Campbell would beg to differ there....

Only exceptions I can think of are shows like The Simpsons, where the promise is everyone will be exactly the same the next week.

But even then, character growth happens. They just hit the reset button on it every episode.
Actually they don't it just happens far more gradually than people might notice. That's more a change occuring in how the writers see the characters to be sure but it's still going on in-universe.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:07:05 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #12936 on: July 09, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
Oz The Great And Powerful

Thought I wouldn't think much of this, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  Great performances all around. Makes me want to watch The Wizard Of Oz again (will definitely check out the IMAX 3D version in September) and see Wicked again.  I am guessing we will be seeing a sequel to this, any word of a film version of Wicked?

I actually really liked it as well.  My huge crush on Mila Kunis probably doesn't hurt either.  I too would like a movie version of Wicked or maybe a serious telling of the book instead of the musical.

See, I thought it was pretty good until . . .
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #12937 on: July 09, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »
Oz The Great And Powerful

Thought I wouldn't think much of this, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  Great performances all around. Makes me want to watch The Wizard Of Oz again (will definitely check out the IMAX 3D version in September) and see Wicked again.  I am guessing we will be seeing a sequel to this, any word of a film version of Wicked?

I actually really liked it as well.  My huge crush on Mila Kunis probably doesn't hurt either.  I too would like a movie version of Wicked or maybe a serious telling of the book instead of the musical.

See, I thought it was pretty good until . . .

What I kept thinking about: If that's what happens when she cries, what happens when she has to use the restroom?  :gouge:

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #12938 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
What does "Key Grip" entail? You're a lighting guy, right?
I think the key grip is the boss of the grip department.  Grips do a lot of work with the camera crew, sort of working with the positioning of cameras I think.  Grips do some work with the lighting, but most of that stuff is handled by the gaffer.

Yeup that's a pretty good description. I'll go into more detail tomorrow, doing a poptart commercial tonight.

Alright!  Here's a logner-than-most-will-find-interesting description of what a grip does on a movie set.

Spoiler because this part got long and boring.

So, the difference between an electric and a grip: electrics run power to and operate the lights (they also run power to anything else that needs power).  Grips setup the rigging to get the light where it needs to be, be it mounted to the ceiling, on a huge JLG lift, or inside a wall.  Grips are also in charge of subtracting light using flags and nets.  In other words, they put pieces of black in front of lights to make shadows and keep the light from going where the DP doesn't want it to go.  Those pieces of black (or white or net or whatever) can be small, or friggin huge if you're shooting outside.  They handle the part of lighting that doesn't require electricity, so they will also bounce light with pieces of white. (And they pay off pirates with pieces of eight). 

As Thrifty pointed out, grips also work with the camera, though I would say both parts of their job are equal.  Just as they are in charge of mounting the lights where they need to go, they are in charge of putting the camera where it needs to go if it's somewhere that a tripod won't do.  So they are in charge of dollies and cranes and jibs and doing car rigs and all that jazz. 

And the key grip is in charge of the grips.  As I said, I'm usually an electric, but on smaller budget movies the line between electrics and grips isn't as important because they don't have the huge armies of crew members to delegate tasks to that union movies have to deal with.

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #12939 on: July 09, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »
Bullshit. Just because you like weepy character dramas doesn't mean that stories can't exist without being one.

There's a pretty broad divide between "weepy drama" and "characters are affected in some way by the things they experience". 

So, bullshit also to Tripe.

Eh? I'm pretty sure that Tripe was accurate in his assessment of Joseph Campbell's definition of story. Whether or not you agree with Campbell is a different issue.

Really, this seems to be about the distinction between plot and story. The way *I* was taught it basically amounts to "plot is the events that happen, story is the character going through the events", but I've heard other writing teachers give different definitions, so what the hell do I know?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12940 on: July 09, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
I'm just gonna step in here and say that there are plenty who don't really get behind Joseph Campbell. If ever was there something in fiction that's overused-to-a-point-beyond-death, it's The Hero's Journey.

That is all.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12941 on: July 09, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
Why in the world is this discussion getting heated?
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5899
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12942 on: July 09, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
Because this is the internet.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12943 on: July 09, 2013, 05:10:25 PM »
Because this is the internet.

Forgot where I was.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12944 on: July 09, 2013, 06:15:01 PM »
The story is the story. The character development is the litmus test that indicates that the story was worth something.