login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1565791 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12915 on: July 06, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
Gamera 2 Attack of the Legion.

Good, not as good as the first one in the trilogy though.  Liked the end though.  We humans are destroying the earth and Gamera is the guardian of the earth.  Do we want him as an enemy?  Food for thought.

One more to go.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

MightyJack

« Reply #12916 on: July 07, 2013, 03:12:03 PM »
Before Midnight
I remember the first time I saw "Before Sunrise" in 1995 and thinking, "What the hell! Is this all there is, they just walk around and talk?" Little did I know completely captivated I would become by this series.

This is another great entry in the series from director Richard Linklater, and probably the most painful.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The film was a slow starter for me, as the couple interact with friends and family (and was there that many F bombs and puerile sex talk in the first 2 features?) but once the two go on a walk, and talk -because that's what they do in these movies- it takes off.

Wise, insightful and difficult. I hope we meet these two again, in old age.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12917 on: July 07, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »
Saw Monsters University today. Way better than I thought it would be. Might like it better than Monsters, Inc. It was a heartfelt tale of following your dreams, and what to do if you get there and it turns out you're not suited for said dream. The umbrella short at the beginning was jaw-dropping too.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #12918 on: July 08, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Saw Monsters University today. Way better than I thought it would be. Might like it better than Monsters, Inc. It was a heartfelt tale of following your dreams, and what to do if you get there and it turns out you're not suited for said dream. The umbrella short at the beginning was jaw-dropping too.

I liked the story and everything, my problem with it was that it just wasn't that funny. Not saying it wasn't a good movie, I just would have liked more laughs.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5132
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12919 on: July 08, 2013, 02:41:35 AM »
The first 2 Lord of the Rings movies.  I think it's easy to forget how good these movies are.  I'm not really a big Lord of the Rings fan, but rewatching these after all this time, they are largely very good.  However, to me, the most interesting part (Sam, Frodo and Gollum) aren't in the movie all that long compared to all the big battle stuff, which is good, but I just don't find Aragorn all that interesting (Viggo Mortenson does a good job though).  Will be watching the last one this weekend, I think.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #12920 on: July 08, 2013, 02:39:02 PM »
So the only thing I've worked on that turned out to be any good is available online now.  It's called Bert and Arnie's Guide to Friendship.  Here's the trailer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mfWX95v7uVw?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mfWX95v7uVw?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

It's better than the trailer makes it out to be.  The timing is very good and I like the performances.  Everyone was really nice and I had a good time working on it for the most part.  I was the Key Grip.  It's available on amazon instant and Itunes.  Unfortunately no Netflix yet.  Hopefully soon.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12921 on: July 08, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
Sometimes they get to punch Steve Coogan in the face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpq8PHcAb6Y (a pox on thee, disabled embeds!)

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #12922 on: July 08, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
What does "Key Grip" entail? You're a lighting guy, right?
I think the key grip is the boss of the grip department.  Grips do a lot of work with the camera crew, sort of working with the positioning of cameras I think.  Grips do some work with the lighting, but most of that stuff is handled by the gaffer.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12923 on: July 08, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
Oz The Great And Powerful

Thought I wouldn't think much of this, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  Great performances all around. Makes me want to watch The Wizard Of Oz again (will definitely check out the IMAX 3D version in September) and see Wicked again.  I am guessing we will be seeing a sequel to this, any word of a film version of Wicked?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #12924 on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »
Despicable Me 2- the wife loved the first one, so she dragged me to see the sequel. She didn't think much of this sequel. But I thought it was exactly what I expected it would be. Great animation. Kind of a lame story- a lot like the first one. But it was better than World War Z.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #12925 on: July 08, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
Oz The Great And Powerful

Thought I wouldn't think much of this, but actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  Great performances all around. Makes me want to watch The Wizard Of Oz again (will definitely check out the IMAX 3D version in September) and see Wicked again.  I am guessing we will be seeing a sequel to this, any word of a film version of Wicked?

I actually really liked it as well.  My huge crush on Mila Kunis probably doesn't hurt either.  I too would like a movie version of Wicked or maybe a serious telling of the book instead of the musical.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #12926 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »
What does "Key Grip" entail? You're a lighting guy, right?
I think the key grip is the boss of the grip department.  Grips do a lot of work with the camera crew, sort of working with the positioning of cameras I think.  Grips do some work with the lighting, but most of that stuff is handled by the gaffer.

Yeup that's a pretty good description. I'll go into more detail tomorrow, doing a poptart commercial tonight.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12927 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:41 PM »
Despicable Me 2- the wife loved the first one, so she dragged me to see the sequel. She didn't think much of this sequel. But I thought it was exactly what I expected it would be. Great animation. Kind of a lame story- a lot like the first one. But it was better than World War Z.

I honestly didn't even think the animation was that good on the first one.

Certainly not good enough to make up for the script.
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12928 on: July 09, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
I've been entirely lukewarm to both Despicable Me movies (the sequel I actually found to be rather poor). The only thing that seems to work at all in any respect is the Minions, who are pretty consistently funny (but those sort of background characters usually are).

So that Minion-focused movie that's supposedly coming out later this year? That I'll be all over. Despicable Me 3, not so much.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12929 on: July 09, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
The Despicable Me movies are best when they are just letting Gru be Gru, and the Minions be the Minions. But these movies keep trying to change Gru, and it's always away from why we wanted to see the movie in the first place. We don't need character growth in a character we already like the way he is. You don't expect character growth from Bond.
I LOVE that he's a supervillain, but he's a cool nice boss to the Minions. And knows their names, even though we can't tell them apart. That's great.
And, I know it's a stupid pun, but his bakery being called Bake My Day still makes me laugh. A lot.