Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586298 times)

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12885 on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:32 PM »
Coppala's The Conversation.

I can't believe I waited so long to see this. Definitely his best film though it had some of the heavy-handed moments he's know for. I particularly loved Gene Hackman's character. I love existentialist type film noir or crime films and this was one of the best. Is there a character more lonely than Hackman's Caul in any 70's movie? Even Steve McQueen in The Getaway had a chick and Oates in Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia had, well, a head in a bag to talk to. Hackman only had his saxophone. Loved it.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12886 on: July 02, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
The Conversation is a pretty fantastic movie.  Definitely one of my favourite thrillers.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #12887 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:30 PM »
The Conversation is a pretty fantastic movie.  Definitely one of my favourite thrillers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12888 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
Sometimes there are no answers.  And, of course, you are assuming it's still there.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #12889 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:46 PM »
Sometimes there are no answers.  And, of course, you are assuming it's still there.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12890 on: July 02, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12891 on: July 03, 2013, 02:46:05 PM »
Demolition Man...oh my. I didn't remember it being that insane. Every single character in this movie is crazy. I have to admit though, I really did laugh at a couple of the jokes.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 529
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12892 on: July 03, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
Entire cycles of self-referential horror movies have risen and crumbled in the years since Scream briefly revived the slasher film as critique of the slasher film. Like it or not (I generally don't, but that's neither her nor there), Scream is a touchstone film, one that must be referenced when one examines whole swaths of the horror genre. Scream's sequels have the additional burden of trying to expand on the first film's big idea. Scream 2 (1997, directed by Wes Craven), finds this burden to be too much. It rehashes the first film, true, and it introduces "rules" for sequels and dutifully follows them even as it comments on them. But when you get right down to it, Scream 2 is a dead end. The only reason I revisited it was because I'm planning to watch the third film later this week (I've never seen it) and I thought the continuity would be nice. I was mistaken. I remember now why I never bothered with the third film.

The second installment finds Sydney Prescott off at college. Gale Weathers has written a book about Sydney's ordeal, and that book has been filmed. In one of the film's many instances of pop eating itself, Scream 2 restages the opening of Scream as a film within a film, replacing Drew Barrymore with Heather Graham. The film's first murders take place at a preview of "Stab." Then the story itself commences, with red herrings aplenty. We get another scene in a film classroom, in which the question is posed about sequels that are better than their predecessors, which seems like they're trying too hard. There's a murder in a sorority house, and soon, everyone is circling around Sydney: cops, press, a killer. Everyone is a suspect. The bodies start piling up, and Sydney scrambles to balance her career as a drama student with her need to figure out who is out to get her. Gale, meanwhile, is plagued by a reluctant cameraman, Officer Dewey, and a local reporter looking to steal her thunder. She, too, is a target, though, and the killer targets her friends as well. Both Sydney and Gale find themselves isolated for the endgame.

I wish I liked Wes Craven's movies better. Most of them, even the really awful ones, sound interesting on paper. So it is with the Scream sequels. They have a terrific premise. Craven has worked in movies long enough that his film's have become polished, slick, commercial product, too, without the anger and rough edges of his early work. So he's certainly competent enough to make interesting movies out of his ideas. Sometimes, he even manages it. But mostly, his movies seem like they're merely adequate. He doesn't have an instinct for the jugular as a mature filmmaker, nor are his films formally daring. "Adequate" is a good word to use for Scream 2. It feels the need to push a little bit beyond the first film, but not too far, because one mustn't alienate that huge audience for the Scream movies. The canned thrills of the slasher movie is completely undercut by the need to critique the slasher movie that Scream 2 largely disarms itself. You don't need to keep reminding yourself that it's only a movie; the movie reminds you all on its own.

Some of my reactions to the film upon revisiting it are different from my original experience of the film back when it was in theaters. The film's most bravura set piece, involving a killer at the wheel of a crashed cop car, impressed me in 1997. Not so much these days, but maybe that's a result of foreknowledge of the scene. Meanwhile, the scene in which Sydney plays Cassandra on stage stands out as the best part of the movie this time. At the very least, it was fun watching Sarah Michelle Gellar stalked and killed without her going all kung-fu action heroine. She's definitely a victim of her later career. Ditto Timothy Olyphant.

This movie revels in the classic mistake of the slasher movie, it explains too damned much. The climactic scenes with this film's killer(s) don't function as climax so much as they function as exegesis. Plus, it cheats. It withholds certain information from the audience to be dropped from the sky during a fucking talking killer monologue. Worst of all, it forgets that hoary old cliche of fiction: show, don't tell. This movie is an explainer, which is a common problem with Wes Craven's movies.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm going to bother with Scream 3. I mean, I liked Scream 4 well enough, so I can probably muddle through it. But right now, I'm wondering if there's a point.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12893 on: July 03, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »
3 is the worst one by a mile.
FINE

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12894 on: July 03, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Lincoln

As a history knower I was really looking forward to this one.  It was good, but not as good as I expected.  Felt kind of let down.  Of course Lewis was excellent.  But he excellent in everything.  He just gives 110 percent to every role.  Wouldn't expect any less from him.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12895 on: July 03, 2013, 07:46:46 PM »
Lincoln

As a history knower I was really looking forward to this one.  It was good, but not as good as I expected.  Felt kind of let down.  Of course Lewis was excellent.  But he excellent in everything.  He just gives 110 percent to every role.  Wouldn't expect any less from him.

This is why I haven't watched this one yet, afraid I'd be disappointed by it.  Kind of how Zero Dark 30 was a major letdown for me because I just couldn't get past the changes they made to real events.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12896 on: July 03, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »
If it means anything, I also was disapointed in Scream 2, didn't bother with 3 for years, then enjoyed 4 enough to give it a shot.  I'd rank 3 in quality between the first two.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12897 on: July 03, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
Lincoln

This is why I haven't watched this one yet, afraid I'd be disappointed by it.  Kind of how Zero Dark 30 was a major letdown for me because I just couldn't get past the changes they made to real events.

I didn't think the changes were significant to really affect the film too much (not that changes to real life events should ever be a mark against a film. These aren't documentaries, after all).

As for the Screams, I've always been a huge fan of the first one. And I thought the second one was the best of the sequels, if only because it best captured the atmosphere and style of the original (even if the mystery did need to lie to the audience, as pointed out before. The first one actually has one of the few slasher whodunnits where it's an actual, satisfying mystery). 3 was a big step down, and while I enjoyed 4, it didn't have nearly as much to say about horror as did the others, and is rather superfluous in the end (and still too afraid to kill any "big" characters. At least 2 did that, and it was effective).

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12898 on: July 03, 2013, 11:44:15 PM »
The first Scream was so good.  Well acted and funny with many surprises.  And scary as hell.  Originally saw it in the theater with a group of friends.  The title was quite apt for us.

Haven't seen 4 yet.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #12899 on: July 04, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
Scream and Scream 2 were both big trendy movies when I was in high school.  Since the first takes place in a high school. I felt somewhat interested because for once the teenagers being hacked up in a slasher movie were my age.  For the most part, I don't really like horror movies; too often they feel the need to be "daring" and go for the downer ending.  Mostly though, they all seem so formulaic.  Introduce a bunch of characters who serve little purpose beyond being lambs for the slaughter.  I watched Scream 2 again last month just because I wanted to see Portia De Rossi's part in it after watching the 4th season of Arrested Development.  Beyond those parts, I didn't really make it through the whole film.

I saw all 4 of the Scream movies in theaters.  The 4th one I kinda liked because, again, Sydney aged along side of me.  Sydney was now an adult in her early 30s, as was I.  She was still a peer.  The teenagers were not analogous to my peers, but were now kids, younger than me.  It's odd how teenagers will always exist.  You start out and they're older than you, something you look up to.  Then you become one for a brief period, and they are your peers instead of some mysterious other species.  Then you keep growing and although you're not a teenager, other teenagers still exist, and the gulf between you and them continues to grow wider.  I actually go through this thinking more often with college students, because I grew up in a college town and still live there.

Anyway, I barely remember Scream 3, maybe because it came out after I had left high school and I saw it more out of habit than peer pressure.  But all of the movies were okay for one viewing, but I can't stand to sit through any of them again.

Also... these kids were so savvy about slasher films, but they still did all the dumb shit people in those movies do that gets them killed.  In the first one, there's a knife wielding killer in a ghost costume killing people.  Chloe gets cornered by him in the garage, and her first thought is "lol that's a joke.  I'm gonna play along."  I always preferred Abed's approach in one of the Halloween stories on Community, where he hears of a killer stalking the woods near the cabin he's in, and says "I'll dial 911 on my fully charged cell phone and lock the doors and windows.  You and me stand back to back holding axes until the police arrive."