Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537373 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12840 on: June 21, 2013, 01:35:44 AM »
Watched Inside Man for the first time. I enjoyed it. Would have been interesting to see the sequel they had planned at one point. I also rewatched Spy Game, which I think is one of the better spy movies.

Its been awhile since I've seen Inside Man, I remember really liking it.  Had no idea there was a possible sequel, I wonder if there's a leaked script or something.

Maybe I should do a double feature one night with Inside Man and John Q, so I can see Denzel on both sides of the hostage situation.  Sounds like a fun night.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12841 on: June 21, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
World War Z in 3d

Okay firstly,skip the 3d. I noticed practically no noticeable 3d effects in it. So either it's very good at it and they just made the 3d so much like reality that I didn't even notice it or there just wasn't anything substantial done.

Other than that, it's a pretty effective zombie film. Very sober. No wisecracking and the whole zombie outbreak is played deadly seriously. In addition, there's very little idiot ball handling in the film. (As in no one does anything incredibly stupid just to advance the plot. There's one accident that might raise an eyebrow and there's the tower of zombies that shows up in the trailer, but even those are things that could conceivably happen.)

However, the big question is "Is it a good adaptation of the book?" Nope. Not at all. The book and movie have two things in common- there are zombies and there's a scene in Newark. That's it.  You might be able to squint and say "Well, maybe this is part of the story that happens while everyone else is narrating." Eh, no. Still no dice. the method of dealing with zombies are different in both sources. Let me put it this way- Starship Troopers is more faithful to its source than this is.

That aside, if you approach the film as if you're watching "Brad Pitt's Zombie Adventure" you'll probably have a better time than if you go in expecting the Max Brooks novel on screen.

The plot and characters of this movie are pretty thin (and in fact a lot of the movie doesn't hold up to second thought at all), but damn if it didn't manage to deliver an intense viewing experience in the theater. It had some terrific energy for most of it, and was certainly worth watching. I'm not sure I'd call it a good zombie movie (it's far too tame for that), or even much of a good movie, but it's definitely an entertaining action/adventure piece.

Also, Malcolm Tucker pops up at the end, which made me far more excited than I probably should've been.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1473
« Reply #12842 on: June 21, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »
Windy City Heat

A huge prank played on a man that's full of himself, who will do anything to be famous.  He is cast to star in an action movie, a fake action movie, that is just a setup that everyone is in on except him.   

It's hard to explain, but it's quite funny.  I recommend it.  He's a ridiculous person, and the ups and downs they make him go through are hilarious. I tried to type out some of the scenarios but they don't work on paper.  Here's a clip.  Not the best bit, but still funny.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHy1TzhIrAU?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jHy1TzhIrAU?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #12843 on: June 21, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
Finally saw Charlie Chaplin's last film, A Countess From Hong Kong ( 1967 ), and it was not the piece of shit that critics made it out to be. No, it wasn't perfect, and it was by no means a classic as was Chaplin's earlier work, but I was able to watch it through without getting bored, and a couple of the gags had me giggle.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12844 on: June 21, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
Oz the Great and Powerful

Double meh
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12845 on: June 21, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
Oz the Great and Powerful

Double meh

You might need to look at your movie selecting methods :P
FINE

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #12846 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:21 PM »
Just watched Wreck-It Ralph for the fourth time. It never ceases to impress me.

Offline ManUnderMask

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 151
« Reply #12847 on: June 21, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
World War Z. Not bad. A few elements from the book, but not many. It was good though.
I survived the San Diego Comic Con 2010 Hall H stabbing.

MightyJack

« Reply #12848 on: June 22, 2013, 03:51:04 AM »
Hamlet (Gamlet) 1964
For most of my life, if you'd asked me what the best picture of 1964 was, without hesitation I would have answered "Dr. Strangelove" -- with the Beatles "A Hard Days Night" a shade behind it.

And then I saw the Russian version of Hamlet.

Director Grigori Kozintsev restores the political aspects that Oliver removed in his version of the play, tightens up and takes out other scenes. He really gets into Hamlet's interior thoughts. Dialog that was often spoken out loud in other plays and movies, is interpreted as inner monologues.

Hearing these words in Russia was strange, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it. No, it's not as pretty and poetic – but the emotional cadences remain. Some famous lines are lost, but all told it didn't hurt the overall effect. (and I prefer it to the 4 hour bloat that Branagh filmed. That might be better Shakespeare, but it's not better cinema to my mind. Kozintsev is much more judicious in his shot selection, he avoids many of Branagh's excesses (all the coverage shots and what not). He's also superior director to Olivier in every way imaginable, and since he's not director and star, his ego doesn't get in the way - other actors get as much love an attention as Hamlet does)

Visually it's a stunner. Kozintsev said that it was his aim to "make visible the poetic atmosphere of the play." And in this he succeeds brilliantly. The castle itself is more wide open than in other versions, but it still feels like a prison. The beautifully staged and photographed appearance of Hamlet's ghostly father is covered by shadow, crumbling architecture and flowing capes.

Performances are all strong, and actress Anastasiya Vertinskaya was an amazing Ophelia. There was a tangible sense of fragility in her that made Ophelia's final scenes heartbreaking. The rich and striking score was written by the great Russian composer Dmitry Shostakovich.

Despite a few things that are not purely Shakespearean, this was the best filming of Hamlet I've ever seen. There were no lulls, no moments when I wasn't completely enthralled by what was happening on screen.

Watching again only reinforces my love and admiration for the picture.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12849 on: June 23, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
The Criterion Blu-Ray release of Things To Come.  It's a nice HD transfer, doesn't seem like a full restoration but it looks really good for a movie shot in 1936.  Was hoping for better sound but I guess this is as good as we will get.  Several nice extras made for this release.  Kind of interesting to know how HG Wells having so much control over the movie made it hard to make and contributed to some of the problems of it being to preachy and having the silly giant space gun at the end instead of a rocket.

Also the Blu-Ray of Midway, in HD the war footage really stands out as lower quality, but the rest looks fantastic, so I'm guessing it looks the way it did in theaters.  The Blu-Ray has the extra scenes shot for TV as extras, haven't seen this on TV in so long I forgot about all those scenes with Susan Sullivan.  Parts of this movie haven't aged well, the battle and planning stuff still holds up, but all the father-son stuff feel more "70's" the older this movie gets...

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12850 on: June 23, 2013, 10:13:48 AM »
all this talk on here of Psycho compelled me to rewatch it.  Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said.  Let's just say it still scares the shit out of me.  That's when you know you have a good movie.  Its still scary after the tenth (or so) viewing.

Also watched Hitchcock.  Pretty good.  Sir Tony has his voice and mannerisms down.  And Helen Mirren, wow, she's got to be closing in on 70.  She looks better than actresses half her age.  Great actress too.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12851 on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:21 AM »
Monsters University - Funny, charming, but ultimately unnecessary. It has a good amount of heart, but since you know how it ends, there is a bittersweet aftertaste all through it that just made me wonder why they chose to tell this story. That, and it was sadly SQUEEKY clean for a college fraternity movie. Not that I would have wanted it to be full of CGI monster boobs or something, but it just seems poorly thought out to tell a story in the part of character's lives where they would be experimenting and truly going crazy at the first time of true independence.
As a person who (by my own choice) had a very uneventful college experience, and regrets it every day of my life, I feel an odd and uncomfortable connection to it that the filmmakers clearly did not intend.

This Is The End - Now THIS was funny! Everybody here plays a great exaggerated version of themselves, and it is so much fun to watch them interact. The CGI creatures here are BADASS, and I just love that there is no doubt in this whole thing exactly what is going on. They are not apologetic that this is the real deal Christian Rapture, yet it doesn't devolve into evangelical bullshit.
I am sure it will pale in comparison to At World's End later this year. But I am more than happy for this to be the appetizer to Edgar Wright's full meal.

World War Z - I liked it. I've never read the book, which I've heard nothing but good things about. But also that this movie is nothing like. It's also NOT a horror movie. But I went in knowing that, and I think that helped. I am glad they used the word zombie, which a lot of movies awkwardly go out of their way not to do. But more importantly, they are ACTUALLY DEAD. It may be an infection of some sort, but they say that the people are genuinely dead, which I appreciate. That, and I do like the plan they come up with, I thought it was creative, especially since it wasn't a true "cure".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
But overall I did like it. Watching the trailers, you get no sense of it meaning anything that they are dead people. They might as well be alien bugs or something. But in the movie you do. Yes, the larger swarm scenes they are just CGI sprites that might as well look like anything. But there are some scenes where you do feel that weight. So in the end, it's just going to go down as an action movie, and not a particularly smart one. But it's not nearly as stupid as I thought it might from the trailers.

Offline Thrifty Version II

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 556
  • Now with 30% Less Fat!
« Reply #12852 on: June 24, 2013, 05:14:01 AM »
I also saw This Is The End a few days ago.  I thought it was good and funny, though it started to veer towards scary by the final act.  It was a real mind bender the way everyone, with the exception of a few ancillary characters (decapitated man and the 3 other people in the convenience store) were playing themselves.  My favorite part was when Emma Watson comes by, Franco invites her to rest in his bedroom, and the guys have a conversation that basically devolves into discussion about rape.  Emma misunderstands this, and bursts out of the room with an axe screaming "I heard you guys!  You were debating which one of you gets to rape me!"

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12853 on: June 24, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »
My favorite part of This is the End

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12854 on: June 24, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »
Yeah, the fate of James Franco was brilliant.  I wish Emma Watson had been in the movie more.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:27:35 AM by Darth Geek »