login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1539206 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12825 on: June 18, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »
The newest Die Hard movie

meh....

More like "Die Already" amirite?  Back me up, ladies.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12826 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »
Tried watching A Haunted House

ughhh...just beyond horrible

After these two stinkbombs think I'll go rewatch Warm Bodies.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #12827 on: June 19, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »
Tried watching A Haunted House

ughhh...just beyond horrible

After these two stinkbombs think I'll go rewatch Warm Bodies.

You should have know, Marlon Wayans = ughhh...

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12828 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:17 PM »
Total Recall

The one with hunky Colin Farrell and sexy Brian Cranston.  Its been years since I've seen the original I was a kid.  My main memory of it was Patrick S guarding himself from bullets with bodies.  And the three breasted lady of course.

I liked this version.  Had to fast forward through some of the action scenes though, they went on for too long.

I thought Kate Beckinsale was the only worthwhile thing in the movie. Obviously the effects are prettier 20+ years later, but man... not having Arnold around really makes you appreciate what Arnold brought to the table.

Spy Kids 3D: Game Over

These Spy Kids movies... man... they are shitty and incoherent... yet altogether charming in an odd B-movie sense. Shitty shit that everybody involved must have known was shit yet somehow possessing a palpable childlike appeal. Like Thundercats or Super Friends or any handful of awful cartoons I grew up watching, the Spy Kids movies work without a single tangible reason for doing so... Would never recommend anybody seeks them out, but if you happen to have 5 and 7 year old sons,... I suppose you could do worse with 90 minutes in front of the tube.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12829 on: June 20, 2013, 05:16:34 AM »
Total Recall

The one with hunky Colin Farrell and sexy Brian Cranston.  Its been years since I've seen the original I was a kid.  My main memory of it was Patrick S guarding himself from bullets with bodies.  And the three breasted lady of course.

I liked this version.  Had to fast forward through some of the action scenes though, they went on for too long.

I thought Kate Beckinsale was the only worthwhile thing in the movie. Obviously the effects are prettier 20+ years later, but man... not having Arnold around really makes you appreciate what Arnold brought to the table.

Spy Kids 3D: Game Over

These Spy Kids movies... man... they are shitty and incoherent... yet altogether charming in an odd B-movie sense. Shitty shit that everybody involved must have known was shit yet somehow possessing a palpable childlike appeal. Like Thundercats or Super Friends or any handful of awful cartoons I grew up watching, the Spy Kids movies work without a single tangible reason for doing so... Would never recommend anybody seeks them out, but if you happen to have 5 and 7 year old sons,... I suppose you could do worse with 90 minutes in front of the tube.
I agree with you about the first Spy Kids movie. That had some charm to it. But I didn't think the sequels did. And 2 had Steve Buscemi as a mad scietist for crying out loud! I so wanted to love that movie for that alone, but I just couldn't.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12830 on: June 20, 2013, 09:20:58 AM »
The 3rd one had the villain played by Stallone, complete with multiple personalities... along with a virtual reality cyborg CGI Ricardo Montalban... it was a glorious trainwreck all the way around... But I've always had a soft spot for bad movies.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12831 on: June 20, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »
Die Hard

Now this is more like it.  And I could watch Alan Rickman walk offf that truck over and over....damn...
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12832 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:55 AM »
A big group of friends and I watched Cloud Atlas last night. First time for a few of them, third time for me. It was very well received, which made me happy. That movie still totally blows me away, and I see a bunch of new connections/allusions between all the stories every time I watch it.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12833 on: June 20, 2013, 03:08:05 PM »
I watched Notorious the other night. I liked it.  Very intense in places, particularly with the "wine bottle" scene.  Great seeing Grant with a meatier role than he usually gets too.

Coincidence? A podcast group I follow and am friends with (they did The Fringe Podcast) just (last night) released part 1 in a "3 Hitchcock/Grant Films" series, starting with.... Notorious.   http://www.goldenspiralmedia.com/triplecast-episode-16-alfred-hitchcock-and-cary-grants-notorious

I've seen the movie many times and am not to it yet in my "Chronological Hitchcock" viewing, but I plan to re-watch again tonight so I can listen to the podcast Saturday at work.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #12834 on: June 20, 2013, 03:11:02 PM »
Oh, forgot the reason I came into this thread....

I just bought and watched The Bourne Legacy finally. I actually quite liked it. It feels quite a bit..... incomplete? It would be like if they just simply made The Bourne Supremacy and left it at that. Good movie, good characters, good everything, but it really feels like there's more they need to tell for it to really be truly appreciated.

I hope they make a "second trilogy" with this cast of characters, because it feels like it should be bigger.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12835 on: June 20, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
I last watched The 400 Blows. The title is very misleading.

(I kid, I kid)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12836 on: June 20, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
I last watched The 400 Blows. The title is very misleading.

(I kid, I kid)

I saw it for the first time last week and enjoyed it very much.
FINE

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12837 on: June 20, 2013, 08:36:59 PM »
Same here, I thought it was great.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12838 on: June 20, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
Watched Inside Man for the first time. I enjoyed it. Would have been interesting to see the sequel they had planned at one point. I also rewatched Spy Game, which I think is one of the better spy movies.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12839 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »
World War Z in 3d

Okay firstly,skip the 3d. I noticed practically no noticeable 3d effects in it. So either it's very good at it and they just made the 3d so much like reality that I didn't even notice it or there just wasn't anything substantial done.

Other than that, it's a pretty effective zombie film. Very sober. No wisecracking and the whole zombie outbreak is played deadly seriously. In addition, there's very little idiot ball handling in the film. (As in no one does anything incredibly stupid just to advance the plot. There's one accident that might raise an eyebrow and there's the tower of zombies that shows up in the trailer, but even those are things that could conceivably happen.)

However, the big question is "Is it a good adaptation of the book?" Nope. Not at all. The book and movie have two things in common- there are zombies and there's a scene in Newark. That's it.  You might be able to squint and say "Well, maybe this is part of the story that happens while everyone else is narrating." Eh, no. Still no dice. the method of dealing with zombies are different in both sources. Let me put it this way- Starship Troopers is more faithful to its source than this is.

That aside, if you approach the film as if you're watching "Brad Pitt's Zombie Adventure" you'll probably have a better time than if you go in expecting the Max Brooks novel on screen.