Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584545 times)

MightyJack

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12780 on: June 03, 2013, 09:45:55 PM »
Teddy Bear
Every 2 months or so I go through Rotten Tomatoes DVD release list -- then I open my library account and put in hold requests for anything certified 'fresh'. Every week or so thereafter, I come home with a stack of movies, some of which I have no idea what they are about -- never heard of them. I put 'em in the player without a clue as to premise etc. Sometimes -despite the fresh ranking- what I watch is crap. Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise. Such was the case with Teddy Bear.

Best way to describe it... it's a Danish "Marty". Dennis is a 38-year old bodybuilder who lives with his controlling mother. He's shy, totally inept around women. When his Uncle returns from Thailand with a new bride, the lonely Dennis decides he'll go their too and try to find love. He's completely out of his element, the women are too young, too forward... and man, it's uncomfortable to watch this big likable lug flounder around (a fish out of water). Of course, he does meet someone nice and he does break free from his mother - so yes, it's predicable. But it's such a sweet story, and real life bodybuilder Kim Kold, is so, soo good in the part. You really feel for the guy.

I was completely engaged by the movie. It is slow moving, quiet,  and more interested in its characters than making any kind of big splashy noise in story or style. But hey, I like Dryer and Bergman, so slow pacing doesn't bother me.   

Recommended.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:53:56 AM by George Harrison »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #12781 on: June 04, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Chained.Bob, a cab-driving serial killer who stalks his prey on the city streets alongside his reluctant protégé Tim, who must make a life or death choice between following in Bob's footsteps or breaking free from his captor.

Director:
 Jennifer Chambers Lynch

Writers:
 Damian O'Donnell (based on a screenplay by), Jennifer Chambers Lynch (screenplay)

Stars:
 Vincent D'Onofrio, Eamon Farren, Evan Bird

Judging from who is in it, you can guess that the acting was great and the hole thing was kind of scary knowing that people like this probably exist.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12782 on: June 04, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
Based on the director/screenwriter it is probably bad.  Sorry, Jennifer, you just don't have your old man's movie-making chops.

Watched a couple of Harryhausen movies that I haven't seen in a long time.  Great looking movies, but a bit... lacking in something.  Still, they look pretty darn amazing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12783 on: June 04, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »

Watched a couple of Harryhausen movies that I haven't seen in a long time.  Great looking movies, but a bit... lacking in something.  Still, they look pretty darn amazing.
As much as I love Harryhausen's movies, there is still not doubt they were built around their effects sequences first and foremost.

MightyJack

« Reply #12784 on: June 04, 2013, 10:33:47 PM »
Jack Reacher
John Wayne was a bad Genghis Khan, Gregory Peck was a poor choice for Captain Ahab, Robert Downey Jr. is all wrong as Sherlock Holmes. And Tom Cruise is a horrible Jack Reacher. Reacher is an imposing, tall, weather worn bad ass... not a short Hollywood pretty boy with a high voice. There are times when they pull lines from the book and speak of Jack's power with awe, and that made me laugh and laugh and laugh (Cruise doesn't look like he could kill a kindergartner with one punch, let alone an adult woman)

Saying that, despite the poor casting of shorty pants, the source material is strong and I was drawn into the action. The book is superior in every way. Exposition which comes off informative and nail biting in a mystery, bogs down a live action picture. But for light escapism, it did it's job.

Oh and Werner Herzog makes a great villain. I've always found his voice a little eerie.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12785 on: June 04, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
Have you ever heard Paul F Tompkins as Herzog?  It's delightful.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zm2BrcUd_KA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Zm2BrcUd_KA</a>

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12786 on: June 05, 2013, 03:08:07 PM »
Still there's probably Giallo/Slashers that are great that I haven't seen.  Has anyone seen Blood and Black Lace?
I've seen it, and goodness, I think it is amazing. Like Psycho, I'd consider it more an ancestor of the slasher than a slasher, but it definitely shares the trait of moving from set piece to set piece for the kill with the characters as compositional elements rather than individuals that is a staple of the Friday the 13th series.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12787 on: June 05, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
I usually try to have something written within a week or so of seeing a film, but my Psycho essay took up so much of my time that I'll have to put off a proper review of Mud until later. I wanted to mention it, though, because I thought it was really fantastic (which was a bit of a surprise). So go take a peak at the trailer if you are not familiar with it and see if it is playing nearby if you are so inclined. Superior filmmaking, in my judgment.

Anyway, on to Psycho:

The archetypal serial killer is a man named Ed Gein, a handyman from Plainfield, Wisconsin, who was a grave robber, necrophile, and cannibal. He was also a transvestite of sorts, who, unlike his most famous screen descendant, didn’t dress in mother’s clothes, he dressed in mother herself. There have been several books and an avalanche of movies based on the Gein case, and even more movies and books that have incorporated elements of Gein’s crimes. As an archetype, Gein has eclipsed Jack the Ripper during the last part of the 20th century as the prototype for the mad killer. Part of this is because of Psycho.

The book on which Psycho was based was written before the details of the Gein case came to light. Its author, Robert Bloch, had a knack for getting inside the minds of criminals and psychopaths during the 1950s. He wrote a series of pulp crime novels that are among the best of their types. The roots of Norman Bates and his terrible mother can be seen in novels like The Scarf (with its dynamite first paragraph: “Fetish? You name it. All I know is, I’ve had to have it with me.”), The Dead Beat, and The Firebug. Bloch built his story around the broadest details of the Gein case, knowing nothing of its particular details. The idea of a monster lurking in a mundane setting appealed to him, and it is this aspect that probably most appealed to Hitchcock. It is entirely likely that, like Jim Thompson, Philip K. Dick, and William S. Burroughs, Bloch would have been rescued from the obscurity of the pulp fiction ghetto by later literary academics who are more broadly receptive to popular fiction. In fact, this was already in process by the time Bloch wrote Psycho. The Scarf had already been filmed, as had a number of his short stories (adapted for, among other productions, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, and the Lights Out radio show). This, of course, is no guarantee of a literary reputation, but it’s evidence that Bloch was already on the cultural radar screen.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline NashaWriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 276
  • Watch what you say MONKEY BOY!
« Reply #12788 on: June 05, 2013, 10:04:05 PM »
Chained.Bob, a cab-driving serial killer who stalks his prey on the city streets alongside his reluctant protégé Tim, who must make a life or death choice between following in Bob's footsteps or breaking free from his captor.

Director:
 Jennifer Chambers Lynch

Writers:
 Damian O'Donnell (based on a screenplay by), Jennifer Chambers Lynch (screenplay)

Stars:
 Vincent D'Onofrio, Eamon Farren, Evan Bird

Judging from who is in it, you can guess that the acting was great and the hole thing was kind of scary knowing that people like this probably exist.

I'll check this out just to see  Vincent D'Onofrio act. I wish he got more roles, he's such a damn good actor.
No Matter Where you go, there you are.

MightyJack

« Reply #12789 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:04 AM »
Psycho
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great write-up.

It’s my understanding that Simon Oakland’s long-winded expositional scene was something screewriter Joseph Stefano insisted on. He was into psychotherapy and really pushed for its inclusion. Hitch shouldn’t have given in, as it’s the one flaw in the this gem of a picture.

As to violence in his films: it’s said that Hitch always wanted to do a long strangulation scene, but censorship being what it was; he was unable to do it - until Frenzy in 1972. It’s a terrible moment (not the film work, just the violence in it) it’s almost artless, and too painfully real and protracted.

Then when you come to the second murder. And its genius, in that we don't see it happen. The camera pulls back away from the scene, down the stairs, into the streets where life goes on. But our memory is stained by that earlier murder. The horror of it comes back to us and our imaginations fill in what we don't see. It’s a chilling moment. It really got under my skin, and was probably more effective because Hitch showed us in detail earlier, what this guy was doing.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12790 on: June 06, 2013, 02:19:09 AM »
The other great thing about that death is the way (and I'm stealing this from a commentator on the flawed but enjoyable Top 100 Scariest Movie Moments mini-series) reality seems to fall away during the stair fall.  This actually made it to #22 on our List of Crap for Top 50 Death Scenes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5bieIiX5KLQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5bieIiX5KLQ</a>

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12791 on: June 06, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
Amazing Spider-Man

It would be easy to dismiss this one as superfluous, with basically the same story being told 10 years ago by Raimi/Maguire, and in many ways it is... But this one holds up well enough on it's own. Garfield and Stone won't fool anybody into believing they are still in high school, but both are capable with the material and show solid on screen chemistry. The villain is typical comic book boilerplate... morally sound but ambitious gentleman has his life's work threatened and then performs ridiculously ill-advised experiments on himself with oh-so-predictable results. But like DaFoe before him, Rhys Ifans does good work with the broad brush he's given to work with.

The problems do crop up with the script. They seemed to set out to make Spider-Man a bit more cocky teenager, maybe intentionally moving away from the more emotional, sometimes bordering on weepy take that Maquire and Raimi used. This is all fine and good, except to avoid any undue emotion, the Uncle Ben stuff is greatly truncated into finding a few guys with similar tattoos... then abandoned... Then an odd subplot involving Spidey's long lost dad is introduced but never really goes anywhere... until you wait around for the criclejerk sequel teaser buried in the credits... and even that doesn't really go anywhere either... But I am jumping the gun, because high school intern Emma Stone is creating genetic antidotes and shit... she's a super genius, Spider-Man's g/f AND the daughter of the police chief who is also fighting the big CGI lizar... just fuck it already.. damn these silly movies.

Anyways, the Raimi version had better pacing,  the better script and more heart... Nothing horrible about this reboot, beyond your standard dose of diminishing returns.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #12792 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
My wife and I watched Warm Bodies last night.  Had only seen one 30 second preview for it so went in fairly oblivious.  Really enjoyed it as it's a new angle to a zombie movie.  Was really surprised to see Rob Cordry in the movie at all and I've been a fan of his since the daily show so that's always a plus. 

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12793 on: June 08, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Been watching some great fantasy films in preparation for the List of Crap I'm hosting.  I won't say which ones till later, but I will say while I enjoyed them all, most of them will be closer to the end of my list.  That said, I'm really glad I watched them, a nice excuse to watch or re-visit some movies.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12794 on: June 08, 2013, 07:55:06 PM »
Warm Bodies

Loved it.  Good story, good acting.  Some pretty funny moments.  Glad I got it.

Ruby Sparks

Another fantasy type movie.  Liked it.  Even though the girl was a bit too Zoey Dechanal, or however you spell her name, for me.  And Aasif Mandvi was in it and Steve Coogan.  I like those guys.
Opticians are easy on the eyes