login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582634 times)

MightyJack

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12690 on: May 06, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
Le M├ępris (Contempt)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just wrote a nice review of this, but the God damn site did something wonky and didn't post it. So it's lost, all that work. (should have saved it on word first, dumb ass)

Well I'm not going to spend another half hour on it, so I'll just say that I saw this mentioned here, and because I've never seen it before I picked up the BD... I thought it was outstanding. Though with the character's comparing studio and producers to Hitler and Nazis, I wonder if Godard wasn't the actual inventor of Goodwin's Law? ;)

I haven't seen it before and have a copy of the Blu Ray headed over to me too. Can't wait!

Cool, yeah your mentioning that earlier put the idea in my head. I wasn't even aware it was on BD.

Also, after viewing the extras I now have to track down and watch Rosellini's "Journey to Italy"

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12691 on: May 06, 2013, 03:15:10 PM »
Cool, yeah your mentioning that earlier put the idea in my head. I wasn't even aware it was on BD.

Also, after viewing the extras I now have to track down and watch Rosellini's "Journey to Italy"

Forgot that I posted that! Last night I found someone selling a bunch of second hand Criterion Blus locally (rare as you need an all regions player to watch them here).

Scored:

The Music Room
Stagecoach
Solaris
Smiles Of A Summer Night
Paris, Texas
High And Low
Blow Out
Lola Montes

All of which are unseen by me, and picked up at a very decent price!
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12692 on: May 06, 2013, 03:17:15 PM »
That's a good score right there. It's too rare to find cheap Criterions outside their 50% sales (which needs to hurry up and happen already. I want me some Blow Out and Repo Man).

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12693 on: May 06, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »
That's a good score right there. It's too rare to find cheap Criterions outside their 50% sales (which needs to hurry up and happen already. I want me some Blow Out and Repo Man).

I believe Barnes & Noble's 50% Criterion sale is in July...
FINE

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12694 on: May 06, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
Paul Rudd is awesome

saw an old version of Gatsby with him at walmart gonna pick it up if its still there tomorrow
Opticians are easy on the eyes

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12695 on: May 06, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
Yes, I love almost everything I've ever seen with Paul Rudd in it. He's fantastic.
That said, I heard "My idiot brother" or whatever it was kind of sucked.

It's not mind-blowing, but we enjoyed it well enough.
FINE

MightyJack

« Reply #12696 on: May 06, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »

I believe Barnes & Noble's 50% Criterion sale is in July...

I believe Deep Discount had one last year in July as well (If I'm remembering correctly)

Hurry July, I have the new "On The Waterfront" blu in my sights (it -with Seven Samurai- is my all time favorite film).

I should start working on a wish list. Belle de Jour (since Viridiana isn't on BD yet), maybe finally grab the BD Tennebaums. I'll have to think about it. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:15:50 PM by George Harrison »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12697 on: May 06, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
On The Waterfront is one of the top spots on my wishlist too. :)
FINE

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12698 on: May 10, 2013, 08:48:54 PM »
Tried to watch Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy and gave up after 45 minutes or so.  You really need a flowchart or something for that one.

Then I tried to watch Dark Shadows and gave up after 30 minutes cause it was painfully unfunny.

Damn shame cause I had high hopes for both movies.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12699 on: May 10, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Tinker Tailor, on top of being a supremely-talky and dry film (in its own way), is something that needs to be watched twice. I was utterly bewildered the first time through, but the second time around it was all much, much clearer (to the point where I view it as a solid masterpiece).

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12700 on: May 11, 2013, 09:47:58 AM »
Saw Iron Man 3 last night. I wasn't as excited as everyone else by the first one (and agree with most everyone on the second). IM3 will be divisive, but I really liked it. I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy movie (and there are far more bad than good), and I say IM3 handled it very well. Things were revealed appropriately and no punches were pulled too fast. Read an excerpt where the director (or was it Kevin Feige?) who said the movie is like a John Grisham novel. Best description I could give it myself.

On a funny note, the main reason my fiancee wanted to see the movie was for Ben Kingsley.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Very fun (tho, flawed at times).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12701 on: May 11, 2013, 10:52:49 AM »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12702 on: May 11, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
Iron Man 3

I enjoyed it. Shane Black and RDJ make a great team. I also liked that they took away what gave Tony all his power. It forced him to think on his feet and to deal with his personal issues. Hopefully Marvel and Robert Downy Jr. figure out all of the contract disputes. It would be a shame to lose Iron Man, because he is irreplaceable.

Semi related: I'm actually working on a movie right now that features a kid who was in the running for the kid from Iron Man 3.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #12703 on: May 11, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
Iron Man 3

I enjoyed it. Shane Black and RDJ make a great team. I also liked that they took away what gave Tony all his power. It forced him to think on his feet and to deal with his personal issues. Hopefully Marvel and Robert Downy Jr. figure out all of the contract disputes. It would be a shame to lose Iron Man, because he is irreplaceable.

Semi related: I'm actually working on a movie right now that features a kid who was in the running for the kid from Iron Man 3.
Admittedly I haven't read into the whole "contract dispute", but it sounds a lot like the "contract dispute" Comedy Central had with the cast of Futurama.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12704 on: May 11, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »
From what I understand, Marvel doesn't want to pay the rest of the cast (everyone except RDJ) more money. He makes like $50 million, they make between $3 and $6. Downy Jr. has told them he won't play ball unless they pay the other actors fairly. Pretty stand-up of him.