Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585078 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12675 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »
Rise of the Guardians

OK enough.  The animation is good.   
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Mortalwar

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #12676 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
The Dark Knight Rises.

Holy crap. Every time before I watch it again, I forget just how freakin' GOOD that movie is.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12677 on: May 03, 2013, 12:01:46 AM »
Some years ago, a friend of mine observed that both of Sam Raimi's first two Evil Dead movies bore more than a passing resemblance to Robert Wise's The Haunting. True, Raimi added buckets of grue to the basic techniques, but in general, he's right. The Evil Dead movies get their most disorienting effects from booming noises on the soundtrack and distorted camera angles and movements. Clearly, then, Raimi had a respect for the classics.

Fast forward twenty some years. Now we have Raimi's long-awaited return to the horror genre, and lo and behold, Raimi has given us another set of reference points to a classic horror movie. This time, it's Jacques Tourneur's Curse of the Demon, with minor rearranging of details. The set-up may be lifted from Stephen King's Thinner, but its basic narrative structure is the same, as is its thematic pitting of reason against superstition. Christine even spends the last part of the film trying to pass her curse on to someone else, just as Dana Andrews tried to pass on the runes. In keeping with this particular influence, Drag Me To Hell actually doesn't really need the spew and grue of the Evil Dead movies. Raimi knows how to ratchet up the mood and the tension--he turns out to be pretty good at it--and in some ways, the spew that this film does include almost seems out of place. Still, Raimi has always been inventive with the gross-out, too, and he doesn't skimp on it here. How this film avoided an "R" rating, I can only guess. It might have been better off with one.

Raimi has provided us with a protagonist who is seriously flawed. She loses her moral compass repeatedly through the course of the film and does things that put her beyond the pale. She's almost the protagonist in an E. C. Comics vein, one who realizes her mistakes too late and gets everything that's coming to her. There's a certain amount of disconnect between the audience and Christine, which is pretty much deliberate on the part of the filmmakers. They've countered this portrayal a bit by casting cute-as-a-bug Allison Lohman in the lead. Cute aside, this is a Raimi movie and Raimi loves to torment his protagonists. Christine, like Ash before her, is put through all kinds of hell.

Still and all, Raimi doesn't make deep movies, and this one is no different. What cultural subtext there is in this film is probably an accident (Raimi and his brother, Ivan, wrote the film in the 1990s). This is basically a funhouse ride, and on that count, it works wonderfully. It's also nice to see Raimi reasserting his own cinematic anima after sublimating so thoroughly for the Spider-Man films. And who am I to begrudge  these things?

It's a fun movie.

Monsieur Hire
(1990) is a gently powerful mystery/character study. Outcast M. Hire is the most obvious suspect when the body of a young woman is discovered near the apartment building where he lives. A sour loner, he is as likely to provoke as to be victimized by his neighbors. He has one weakness: staring across the way at the lovely young Alice (Sandrine Bonnaire) as she goes about her daily routine. At first it’s disturbing, but once we realize that Alice is not only aware of but welcomes the attention, our perception changes. Still, we don’t know that he’s not the killer; several clues scattered along the way make us question what we know. Once Hire and Alice meet and begin a tentative but growing relationship, the director Patrice Leconte lets us see how lonely Hire is, and how much he longs for gentleness and love in his world. Blanc’s scenes with Bonnaire are so tender, in sharp relief to his interactions with other people. (They have a scene on a train that is achingly erotic, and it only involves the touching of hands.) But Leconte never lets us forget that there is a mystery to be solved; the hanging question keeps us unsettled. The solution has repercussions that affect all the characters’ lives. The accumulation of details collide at the end, leading to an affecting and genuinely shocking conclusion.

Monsieur Hire is more than a whodunit, though; it examines unflinchingly the life of a man whose pleasures have been stifled, shunted aside, a man we don’t think of as having any use for companionship and love. The depth of its sad beauty is in the slowed down image we have of Bonnaire at the end, caught through, appropriately, a window; forever outside her. 
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #12678 on: May 03, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
Iron Man 3

Loved it. The 3D was converted and there were a few times it REALLY showed. But whatever, I didn't see it for the 3D. Lots of fun, it had a villain I took an immediate and genuine dislike toward, in that I wanted to see Stark reduce him to coarse red slurry, but in the very best way. Which is something I was not really able to say about the first two. You always want the good guy to come through, but I just wanted see Iron Man BEAT Obidiah Stane, not obliterate him into nothingness. Ditto for his hired muscle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I caught it at an early matinee-- remind me to do that more often from now on. Not because it was a little cheaper, but because I don't really like a packed house. I kinda like it when it's just me and movie, so I actually found a smaller crowd appealing. A crowd of ALL ADULTS, too. Big plus! No damn kids in the audience.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #12679 on: May 03, 2013, 05:07:52 PM »
Matinees are great, but I haven't been to one since Prometheus (only person there). There were only two other people at The Avengers, and I think four others at MIB3. Of course on of the four at MIB3 had an oxygen tank and initially sat directly behind me, so it sounded like I was watching a movie with Darth Vader. He moved to the other side of the theater after a minute though.
I'll probably be seeing Iron Man some early morning next week

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12680 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
I thought that said Manatees.

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #12681 on: May 03, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
I thought that said Manatees.

Also great

MightyJack

« Reply #12682 on: May 03, 2013, 11:18:09 PM »
Le Mépris (Contempt)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just wrote a nice review of this, but the God damn site did something wonky and didn't post it. So it's lost, all that work. (should have saved it on word first, dumb ass)

Well I'm not going to spend another half hour on it, so I'll just say that I saw this mentioned here, and because I've never seen it before I picked up the BD... I thought it was outstanding. Though with the character's comparing studio and producers to Hitler and Nazis, I wonder if Godard wasn't the actual inventor of Godwin's Law? ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:39:52 AM by George Harrison »

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2652
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12683 on: May 04, 2013, 12:10:06 AM »
Le Mépris (Contempt)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just wrote a nice review of this, but the God damn site did something wonky and didn't post it. So it's lost, all that work. (should have saved it on word first, dumb ass)

Well I'm not going to spend another half hour on it, so I'll just say that I saw this mentioned here, and because I've never seen it before I picked up the BD... I thought it was outstanding. Though with the character's comparing studio and producers to Hitler and Nazis, I wonder if Godard wasn't the actual inventor of Goodwin's Law? ;)

I haven't seen it before and have a copy of the Blu Ray headed over to me too. Can't wait!
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12684 on: May 04, 2013, 03:18:43 AM »
Watched the Inbetweeners movie.  Pretty good.  It went lighter on the cringe humour, which works, but it still felt very much like the show in most areas.  A few small problems:

* They basically ended the film with a big win, which doesn't feel like how it should end.  It sort of uses a lot of teen sex comedy cliches, though it does effectively diffuse certain expectations.  A more appropriate ending would probably be closer to Super Bad: there's no big moment of victory, but they can deal with loss well or get some smaller victories (they ALL get girlfriends?)

* My one problem is they did something with Neil I hoped they'd never do: have words of wisdom.  They are appropriate to what we know about the character, but what I like about Neil is that he doesn't follow the role of so many idiot characters in fiction, where there's some sort of innocent wisdom in their idiocy.  In the show, his stupidity and poor judgement just get in the way and ruins things.  He isn't Pinky from Pinky in the brain, he's a frustrating idiot, though in a way where you can't hate him for too long (much like Jay's a bullshitter, but you can't stay mad at him for to long).

*I like to see Anthony Stewart Head, but his appearance did very little for the film.  And his appearence at the very end was even more of a "what was the point".

Overall though, I really liked it and reminded me of why I like the characters.  The characters are greatly flawed (not just that they are "lovable losers", but also that they are thoughtless, sometimes mean and petty and waste good opportunities.  Not as good as the best episodes, it's a sort of more palatable version of the show for those who can't handle embarrassment humour (which is fine for me) and is definitely a fun time.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12685 on: May 04, 2013, 08:24:55 AM »
Le Mépris (Contempt)
Yeah, I've had trouble with the site a lot like that too. If I see it hesitate at all, I quickly copy the text. Then if it just doesn't go through, I paste it in the Quick Reply.

In fact, I had to do that with this post.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #12686 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
It went lighter on the cringe humour, which works, but it still felt very much like the show in most areas.

CRINGE HUMOR! I now have a word for it!

Yeah, I watched about The Inbetweeners until about the middle of the second series, or maybe a ways into the third. But I just couldn't finish it. Those kids were SUCH dorks and there's nothing really wrong with that, it makes good comedy, but it just worked TOO WELL in my opinion. It conjured up WAY too many awkward memories from a time in my life that I expend a lot of energy trying to forget.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12687 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
I think it's always worth it for the season finale.  They do a good job of focusing more on characters and how they need each other.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12688 on: May 05, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
Watched a few movies with Gary and Erin Wickering (Hor-Riff-ic Productions) this weekend:

Dead Moans - The title is supposed to be a takoff of Des Moines, because it was made in that area. Yes, the forehead slap you just did from reading that is pretty much my reaction, and entirely appropriate to the final product. An absolutely atrocious homemade film about zombies. Apparently the director knows Gary and gave him a copy. This is not available in stores. Oh joy. We actually had to turn it off after about 30 minutes. I repeat, Gary and I, who watch and riff shitty horror movies all the time HAD TO TURN IT OFF. Let that sink in for a minute. The movie was made just a year or so ago, but feels a LOT older, due to the rediculous low quality of the camera. The screen proportion keeps shifting, often the picture would be too tall and thin or too wide and short. The color is all over the place, most of the time in a shitty quasi black and white, occasionally popping into color (sometimes mid shot). That felt like the camera was just having problems, not a direct stylistic choice. The storyline is oddly both impossible to follow, and apparently just the simplest zombie story ever. Oh, and it's split up into a ton of Chapters for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will be less than five minute between screens telling us this is a particulr chapter. As far as I know, it's not an adaptation of a book either.

Chillerama - Now THIS is more like it! Holy shit, this one was fun! A movie from 2011 but a throwback to eighties and earlier fare, this is a funny tribute to various types of drive in horror movies done right. An anthology film, it has a wraparound about an old drive in movie theater holding a horror-thon during it's last night before getting bought out and torn down. While a zombie uprising is happening. Zombies with day-glo blue blood. It's just a lot of fun, mostly at the end. The rest of the movie is short movies of different types, all of which are fun and pack in a surprising amount in their individual relatively short runtime. This movie as a whole feels very long, but in a good way. WADZILLA, about a giant sperm eating people and rempaging the city kaiju monster style. WEREBEAR, about a gang of gay teens (who turn into leatherclad gay "bear" stereotypes) and the repressed one they are trying to recuit, all to a 70s surfer musical style. THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANKENSTEIN, how Hitler makes a Frankenstien's Monster that is Jewish (and named Meshugannah). Needless to say, all this is tasteless intentionally, and all very very funny.
I would definitely recommend Chillerama.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #12689 on: May 05, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
Last week, in preparation for Iron Man 3 (which you've probably already seen or will see), I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on the advice of my roommate, who seemed almost offended that I hadn't seen it.  (It's in his all-time top five, and he's seen more movies than I have).  'Twas quite good - a jittery postmodern riff on a Chandleresque mystery.  Downey and Val Kilmer are both really great in it.  While I wouldn't put it in my all-time top five, I can understand why he would - it is both very good and VERY much his type of movie, not that any of you would know or care about that second one.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.